Sacrifices 04/28/2013 05:31 AM CDT
I was recently poking around and it occurred to me that one of the things DR is lacking in is devotional sacrifices (hang with me for a moment!).

What sacrifices do exist, solely seem for either Cleric devotion or favor orbs.

In the real world, it was common for cultures to sacrifice animals, food, or valuables to either celebrate a deity or encourage them to look the other way. While there's limited amounts of the first, I haven't really seen the second.

Even in the lore, there's references to things like Asketi and other dark gods being sacrificed to, yet if it exists, the players don't seem to be part of it.

So here's my suggestion: I'd like to see altars not only accept a wider variety of offerings, such as whole or live animals, gems, etc. I'd love to see dead animal critters able to be converted into "sacrifice items" which can then be taken to altars. In addition, I'd really like for the system to track these offerings either on a local or global level over long periods.

Then, the system could add bonuses or negatives based on the "piety" of local communities. Kertigen got 200,000 offerings last month? Bonus to all crafting in the area. No one paid attention to Aldauth? Invasion or plague. You could tie this into the "yearly" Asketi's ride, the weather, or other innumerable systems that could be influenced by the pleasure or hatred of the gods. And if once it's already set up, it could (in theory) be woven into player run and GM run events.

With the recent Lyras storyline and the expansion of demonic effects on the Realms, I would love to see more lore and interaction with how the gods and their agents interact with the Realms.

Thoughts?

TLDR; I'd like to see sacrficies to gods expanded.

Weapons for Sale:
http://www.elanthipedia.org/wiki/User:Caraamon#Wares
Hunta Talna Kortok, built by Gor'Togs, for Gor'Togs
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/home.html
Re: Sacrifices 04/28/2013 09:01 AM CDT
My cynic says it would either be completely ignored, and regions would labor under continual negative penalties 24/7, or it would be farm-bot'ed and regions would labor under continual positive status 24/7.

I like it conceptually, but the issue (as usual I guess) is the human factor.

I do distinctly like the idea of different cities having better crafting bonuses. It matches reality (you didn't go to Damascus for cloth, or the Americas for booze, back in the day) after a fashion. But I suspect that wouldn't fly either.

Pants.
Re: Sacrifices 04/28/2013 10:05 AM CDT
I am in general in agreement with parts of systems being available for all, like I believe everyone should have a Criminal Reputation, if your stealing and not paying dues what do you think organized crime would do to you; and the gods sure, I'd like to see some type of soul state even if your not a Paladin, and some type of Godly devotion setting for the masses; probably could flip this to a bunch of other things too.

Maybe be part of the task system, and will a lot of this it probably shouldn't matter much, but every once in a while a GM could take those stats and run with it and make the people who cared for so long have nice benefits, and be a bit of leaders for being so blank and blank.

Just some suggestions.

---
"I think anything that forces you to do something no sane adventurer would do just in order to train is ridiculous."
DR-SOCHARIS

---
Victory Over Lyras, on the 397th year and 156 days since the Victory of Lanival the Redeemer.
Re: Sacrifices 04/28/2013 01:38 PM CDT
There is a function of the Sacrifice system currently offline that allows for using a specially prepared animal at an altar.
Re: Sacrifices 04/28/2013 06:51 PM CDT
I really like the idea.

I can see such sacrifices being tied to holidays. If certain conditions are met, a special event might pop up on the holiday, conferring some mild bonuses, some fluffy RP type events, or invasions.

I think they would have to be time limited so it wouldn't become a 24/7 bonus all over the place.

Neat idea!

GENT
Re: Sacrifices 05/13/2013 06:34 PM CDT
<You could tie this into the "yearly" Asketi's ride>

Can we sacrifice baby players ("children") with idiotic OOC names to Asketi?

In seriousness, I would love to see this happen. I think there's a lot of untapped voodoo behind the scenes magic available via the pantheon of Immortals. I thought about how cool it would be for the Asketian invasions to have continued getting bigger and stronger and more relentless until someone figured out that people had to go out to Asketi's Mount to repent and pray to the Hag for mercy. Would have been an amazing RP scenario.

That said, I could see it happening that only a few select Immortals with specific, desirable "influences" would get the bulk of the attention and the others with less real world consequences would go unloved. Not that's not unreasonable, considering the lives that adventurers live, but just something to consider, too.