Prayer beads... 02/11/2013 10:27 PM CST
I suppose this is the right place to put this.

Wondering how soon we can expect to have prayer beads rolled into some other method than mech lore?

I'd really like to be good at forging again in the near future; I was a respectable forger long before the new systems were introduced, and was doing just fine when forging was based on mech, but now I can't even cap a sabre. Really annoying. I understand full well that it can't be rolled into teaching theurgy because it'd be a massive workaround for actually using communes and rituals, but circle-based or just based on highest "craft" lore or SOMETHING other than mech would be amazing. I'd even be content with it simply being based on total stat points or something and not teaching anything, since we are on occasion FORCED to make them for various reaons.

I don't really mean to rant or complain about this, by the by. 3.0 in general, and training the various new lores from 0 has been interesting, but I can't stand holding back on moving "useless" mech ranks into my <long-time> chosen career just because of prayer beads.

Segmere Freat
Baron's Own Militia
Re: Prayer beads... 02/12/2013 12:33 AM CST

Well that is an interesting point.

I am planning at this point on waiting until enchanting is rolled out and putting my mech lore into enchanting. Personally I am pleased that beads use and teach mech lore now that pyramids essentially are no longer useful for that purpose(farewell my family of pyramids, I will not miss carrying you, but I will miss your humming and mech lore teaching ways...)

I am going in a few minutes to buy more blocks in order to be carving more beads, now that beads are important. Are Clerics essentially going to be forced into having enough carving skills in order to maintain devotion? Or will there be alternative ways to make beads or bead alternatives. Certainly I can see conceptually how beads could be forged also.
Re: Prayer beads... 02/12/2013 01:20 AM CST
Certainly I can see conceptually how beads could be forged also. <<<

this. I want this! There's no reason we shouldn't be able to forge beads...
Re: Prayer beads... 02/12/2013 06:24 AM CST
>Or will there be alternative ways to make beads or bead alternatives.

I could actually see a few items getting this treatment.

Beads from carving, icons from forging, sashes from outfitting. Make it like the makers mark system, where you "stamp" a holy symbol on the item and boom! It's now a holy item, go ahead and offer it to the gods.

You're going to get a bad reputation if you go around pinching every spectral reaper you see.
Re: Prayer beads... 02/12/2013 10:31 AM CST
I would agree with the suggestions here, whether they offer a craft for each skill that could be offered to the gods, or just have it use your highest crafting skill to base your ability to carve them. A question though, at what point would you guys even start carving from blocks for your beads? I've only got about 150 mech (And even still, haven't wanted to convert my mech to a craft due to carving) and just use forages limbs still. Then again, I also tend to keep devotion relatively high, and keep Theurgy moving, so I haven't felt like I've needed more devotion gain from better beads?
Re: Prayer beads... 02/12/2013 11:08 AM CST

Personally I try to only carve from purchased blocks because I don't see much mech lore training from carving limbs into blocks.

Hopefully the whole process will be reviewed when Ricinus has time. Thematically it would be nice if the 'guides' or whatever they are called used to carve beads either had shorter RT or better experience return on using them to carve beads- I haven't used one in years.

Its a fascinating system that deserves to be reviewed and updated.
Re: Prayer beads... 02/12/2013 01:53 PM CST
I'm with Flav -- I purchase crystal blocks and carve from them, rather than foraging limbs. Teaches fine, last time I checked, though I admit I still haven't bothered much with communes and subsequently ritual devotion recovery.

Mech's just over 300 and has pretty much been sitting there since 3.0

Segmere Freat
Baron's Own Militia
Re: Prayer beads... 02/12/2013 03:52 PM CST
Ah okay, was curious. I'm currently still getting about 10/34 per bead so it's not so bad for limbs.
Re: Prayer beads... 02/12/2013 03:54 PM CST
<Personally I try to only carve from purchased blocks because I don't see much mech lore training from carving limbs into blocks.>

I haven't noticed this. I will forage about 15-20 limbs and make blocks from them, locks me pretty well, then I will let it drain and carve beads from them.. I can usually lock mech 2-3 times from 15-20 blocks, and I am sitting right at 280 ranks of Mechlore.

The wood type and light, neutral, dark aspect affect difficulty. and thus how well they teach.

I use ash limbs and shrike for the bead.

Also for all of you who have already converted and cannot make beads anymore, drop me a line on my simu Email and we can arrange something, I will make beads for anyone willing to pay. (note cannot use anyones beads except your own for devotion.)