Spell Selection Help? 07/22/2008 06:15 PM CDT
So, I've been busy lately with work and being a new law student; but I've found time at the end of this summer session to login and play a bit... with the new teaching changes, I've been able to crank out four circles in the past week or so.

In any case, I've accumulated three spell slots -- one is reserved for MF when I get the nerve up to start the quest. The other two I'd like to have some input since I haven't been able to keep up with spell additions and changes.

Here's my current status: http://drp.whistlethis.com/v.php?def=157

I've been considering Horn and PS -- I enjoy hunting undead, though I'm a bit weak on the defensive side as you can see. So, any suggestions and reasonings would be greatly appreciated!
Re: Spell Selection Help? 07/22/2008 07:03 PM CDT
Okay the two spells that jump out at me that I don't see are PS and Centering.

PS is a handy spell to have around to even the odds with things, make creatures that are hard to hit easier- also good for learning hiding though that doesn't seem to be a big interest for you. I use PS alot.

I keep an infused Centering up almost all the time. The balance assistance is great- I don't worry about balance- and the one time anti-stun feature has saved me more times than Halo. You have enough MD to have both SOL and Centering in your orb.

Horn is a good solid spell, but think where you would use it. Against Dark Spirits, HE is better because of their armor. Heck, while I don't recommend Harm Horde, in Dark Spirits as I recall they swarm pretty good now, and have good mana down there, Harm Horde might be a better choice than Horn for you, as you move from Dark Spirits to Death Spirits to A'danf. Those are among the very few places in the game where Harm Horde might be a good value, until you hunt down under the swamp.

I would suggest you work hard on improving your multi ops, its falling behind and that will hurt you. Start catching up now. Work your TM with your weapon, at this point your TM should pass and pull ahead of your main weapon just by using it even close to the same amount. I think you should be able to do that in Dark Spirits as your notes mention, but I am terrible with judging skills vs creatures any more.

Maybe old notes, but block stop is no longer important or relevant for MO training.

"militantly enforcing the overly rigid standards of you and your small collection of friends"
Re: Spell Selection Help? 07/22/2008 07:28 PM CDT
PS is a fun spell.

My 2 cents - Work defenses. They're falling behind weapon (I like defenses)! =)

Fun times!
collect ceb root
>
You manage to collect a pile of cebi roots.
Roundtime: 102 sec.
Re: Spell Selection Help? 07/22/2008 07:58 PM CDT
Yeah... BLOCK STOP doesn't work anymore.

TM seems to move incredibly slow compared to weapons. What's the strategy for effectively training it? Multiple snap casts or high mana, high damage casts?
Re: Spell Selection Help? 07/22/2008 08:26 PM CDT
>>with the new teaching changes, I've been able to crank out four circles in the past week or so.

And this is why Teaching 2.0 rocks.

---
"Close your eyes -
For your eyes will only tell the truth..
And the truth isn't what you want to see.
In the dark, it is easy to pretend
That the truth is what it ought to be." - Erik Claudin
Re: Spell Selection Help? 07/22/2008 08:47 PM CDT
>>TM seems to move incredibly slow compared to weapons. What's the strategy for effectively training it? Multiple snap casts or high mana, high damage casts?

I run around and AE a bunch of stuff (I do it at 35 mana, bolts do some nice damage). High damage, low time invested, quick lock (this is when dealing with living stuff). With undead, I just snap HE at 10, locks fast that way.

TM annoys me cuz I can't lock it without killing stuff. I can lock my two weapons (brawl and ME) without killing. But, it's quite lockable. And moves fast when locked.

Fun times!
collect ceb root
>
Re: Spell Selection Help? 07/22/2008 08:50 PM CDT
>TM annoys me cuz I can't lock it without killing stuff. I can lock my two weapons (brawl and ME) without killing. But, it's quite lockable. And moves fast when locked.

Someone has yet to suggest a TM parry stick.
Re: Spell Selection Help? 07/23/2008 07:15 AM CDT
>And this is why Teaching 2.0 rocks.

No doubt. :)
Re: Spell Selection Help? 07/23/2008 07:20 AM CDT
Alright, I've picked up PS and Centering -- any tips for usage?
Re: Spell Selection Help? 07/23/2008 07:22 AM CDT
<<Someone has yet to suggest a TM parry stick.
I think they just did.

Nikpack
player of Celeiros

Climbing List:http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/Climbing_skill
Swimming List:http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/Swimming_skill

And while I am evil, I try to avoid being just plain mean.
-Z
Re: Spell Selection Help? 07/23/2008 10:39 AM CDT
Centering: Try to keep it in the orb and infused all the time. With your magics, you shouldn't have too hard of a time doing this, even if you're also using SOL. I usually use the anti-stun as a sign that I need to retreat and take a break.

PS: Great for swarms. Have too many critters in the room and blast it away. It allows you to focus on the ones you want rather than having everything coming at you. Also good for hiding training I think?

Nikpack
player of Celeiros

-Z
Re: Spell Selection Help? 07/23/2008 11:14 AM CDT
basically what Nikpack said- just make sure to infuse Centering more than 50 to get the Anti-Stun. Use PS on creatures if you are having a hard time getting past their defenses, to slow them down, unbalance them, and to hide better on them. Experiment with PS and you will figure out how you like to use it. One note- you charisma is low, and you will get better results after you raise it more.

"militantly enforcing the overly rigid standards of you and your small collection of friends"
Re: Spell Selection Help? 07/23/2008 01:52 PM CDT
Vigil is PS's best friend.

~Hanryu Ves'Shomis
Sword of House Calibanor, Emerald Knight, Keeper of the CEC, Ranger
http://drplat.com/CombatEquipmentCompendium.xls
Re: Spell Selection Help? 07/24/2008 04:15 AM CDT
<<Vigil is PS's best friend.

Vigil is my vote for most once underused spell in my book. I try to have it going at all times now.

Nikpack
player of Celeiros

-Z
Re: Spell Selection Help? 07/26/2008 05:47 PM CDT
>Vigil is PS's best friend.

Now, why is that?

I also found out that Vigil is AE's best friend... being away for so long, I'd forgotten that AE drained spirit and died a horrible spirit death and was force departed shortly thereafter.
Re: Spell Selection Help? 07/26/2008 06:01 PM CDT
Vigil is PS's best friend because it's a WvW spell (I think). Vigil provides a bonus to Charisma which in turns boosts your WvW spells.
Re: Spell Selection Help? 07/26/2008 06:21 PM CDT
Yes. Vigil is spirit restoration plus charisma boost, and as stated charisma is one of the two main offensive stats in spell vs will contests (disc being the other main stat) (with intel playing a smaller role in offense). Also useful for spell vs will defense, though in that case it plays the smaller role.

Vigil for AE is great fun. Self cast vigil, plus links on other people (I like four links on others) = really really fast spirit restoration.

Fun times!
collect ceb root
>
Re: Spell Selection Help? 07/27/2008 06:27 AM CDT
>Vigil for AE is great fun. Self cast vigil, plus links on other people (I like four links on others) = really really fast spirit restoration.

Didn't think of linking with others for restoration, good idea again! In any case, I have my Charisma up to a svelt 20 now -- 10 more to go, heh.
Re: Spell Selection Help? 07/27/2008 10:03 AM CDT
>Didn't think of linking with others for restoration, good idea again! In any case, I have my Charisma up to a svelt 20 now -- 10 more to go, heh.

Just to point this out for anyone who doesn't know, Vigil will drain from the highest spirit to the lowest (only involving you and target, not target-target).

So with 2 links (Me, two others) if I have 50 health, they both have 100, I pull from both.

If one has 30, I have 50, the other has 100, I pull from the 100 and feed into the 30. The 100 does not feed the 30 directly.

That right?
Re: Spell Selection Help? 07/27/2008 12:50 PM CDT
>>That right?

I think it's more accurate to say that each link pulses, and when it pulses, it draws spirit from the person with more spirit to the person with less.

Otherwise, you're right.

---
"Close your eyes -
For your eyes will only tell the truth..
And the truth isn't what you want to see.
In the dark, it is easy to pretend
That the truth is what it ought to be." - Erik Claudin