What to Hunt? 10/07/2011 11:19 PM CDT

Could anyone point me in the right direction of some intial creatures to hunt? Or should I be sticking to the rats, hogs, gobs, eels, beiswurms program?
Re: What to Hunt? 10/08/2011 08:29 AM CDT
>Could anyone point me in the right direction of some intial creatures to hunt? Or should I be sticking to the rats, hogs, gobs, eels, beiswurms program?

The standard hunting tree is perfectly viable for clerics, it's what I primarily use. The benefits of HE and improved holy damage are balanced by undead having other bonuses, so it's kind of a wash. But I also refuse to lose skinning, so I have to discard most undead right off.

Hey look ma! There are rules to useing quotations!
http://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/577/01/
Re: What to Hunt? 10/08/2011 09:56 AM CDT
>Could anyone point me in the right direction of some intial creatures to hunt? Or should I be sticking to the rats, hogs, gobs, eels, beiswurms program?

Start out in rats, just so you can work your survivals to a decent level before moving onto anything undead. I'd advise you cap them out, if possible. That should be around 30-35 ranks in just about everything. Once you're to that level, you can have fun playing with HE in ghouls. They're also skinnable. Ghouls will take you to roughly 60 ranks across the board, with the exception of stealth (if you're training it). After that, head to reavers and wind hounds. Reavers are also skinnable. That'll bring you to roughly 70-75 ranks. After that, I'd head to blood wolves or sand sprites, neither of which are undead, unfortunately. Once you've capped them, head to skeleton and zombie kobolds down in Ilithi, they'll bring you to 115-130, depending on what you're training. From there, you can jump into eidolon steeds, which are also undead, in Ilithi. They'll bring you to a happy 160. If you'd rather avoid steeds, head out to P5 and jump into mutant togballs and giant blight bats into the 150's, then bloodvines and tresses will take you to 230ish. It's a safe, steady progression, with lots of swarm potential. Just make sure you milk your defenses in each and every one of them. If you don't, you'll be mutilated at the next step up. Have fun!

-Player of Krahas
Re: What to Hunt? 10/08/2011 11:18 AM CDT
Also note:

http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/Special:RunQuery/BestiaryQuery

Just select undead = true, and I selected greater than 0, less than 300, and skinnable. Shows ghouls to be 25 ranks to start.

I'll second togballs. I loved boar clan and the togballs, and plan on moving my prime cleric there as soon as I get some backtraining filled in (I only trained 1 weapon up to 40th :().

P.S. Don't be me.

Re: What to Hunt? 10/08/2011 01:30 PM CDT

>only trained 1 weapon up to 40th :().

>P.S. Don't be me.

Same. :( I second this.

-Player of Krahas
Re: What to Hunt? 10/08/2011 02:48 PM CDT
I did this too; is there any reason aside from PvP to have multiple weapons trained? Or just that you should enjoy the fruits of being a weapon secondary? I'm sort of regretting not swinging a low weight HE, even though I feel more swings means more xp means more ranks. I also loathe, loatheloatheloathe training ranged weapons like bows or xbows.
Re: What to Hunt? 10/08/2011 03:42 PM CDT

>is there any reason aside from PvP to have multiple weapons trained?

Higher defenses compared to your weapon ranks. Makes climbing the critter ladders a lot easier injury-wise.
Re: What to Hunt? 10/08/2011 03:48 PM CDT
>>I did this too; is there any reason aside from PvP to have multiple weapons trained?

I can think of two main reasons:

1) To cover yourself in case you later decide/realize that the weapon you chose isn't so great. Or in case the game design changes... which happens.

2) To utilize different damage types against different critters. If you train a largely piercing weapon and suddenly find yourself up against a piercing-resistant critter (say, during a quest or invasion), you may wish you had a nice impact weapon backup. Same for being able to pull out a ranged weapon.

Note that (2) above doesn't really apply to regular hunting. So all in all, training just one weapon (if you're PVE only) isn't that terrible. But you do get some advantages from training multiple.

-- Player of Eyuve
Re: What to Hunt? 10/08/2011 04:27 PM CDT
>Higher defenses compared to your weapon ranks. Makes climbing the critter ladders a lot easier injury-wise.

This, really. Increased TDP gain, increase possible flexability, and increased loot generation are all nice byproducts.

Re: What to Hunt? 10/08/2011 06:53 PM CDT
>>Increased TDP gain

Oh yes, of course, this too. Under the new TDP system you'll gain the most TDPs from the top 3 in each of your secondaries, so of course training 3 weapons will be good for that.

>>Higher defenses compared to your weapon ranks.

Personally I think this is a choice you should make independently of deciding whether to train multiple weapons. If you want to put in the extra time on defenses anyway though, then yes you might as well pick up extra weapons while you're waiting.

>>increased loot generation

?

You will actually gain less loot over the same period of time if you train more weapons (because you'll advance up the ladder more slowly).

-- Player of Eyuve
Re: What to Hunt? 10/08/2011 08:12 PM CDT
>Oh yes, of course, this too. Under the new TDP system you'll gain the most TDPs from the top 3 in each of your secondaries, so of course training 3 weapons will be good for that.

Not really? Parry will still be a weapon skill, so strictly speaking, 2 weapons. Then I'm not sure how the weapon mastery (they're still planned right?) skills will work. I'd include MO, but I'm under the impression it's fading into tactis or such? There are an odd number of skills in the weapon tree not, er, attack skills.

Re: What to Hunt? 10/08/2011 09:21 PM CDT
>>Not really? Parry will still be a weapon skill

Ah yes, of course. 3 skills in the weapon skillset, is what I meant, but of course I was forgetting about parry and melee/ranged mastery.

So I guess technically you could do 1 weapon, melee mastery (say), and parry. Or you could focus more on 2 weapons and parry, for example. So maybe not as many TDPs with more weapons as I thought, but it kind of depends on how useful parry and masteries will be to you.

-- Player of Eyuve
Re: What to Hunt? 10/09/2011 03:57 PM CDT

At low levels, training multiple weapons is good just to get a feel of what weapons you like. I switched several times up to 100.

Flavius's primary weapon is HX- which nobody should emulate. If you make the mistake of being ranged primary, ,you need a secondary weapon skill for parry. But mainly Flavius trains multiple weapons just for fun, and I like having reasons to buy new fun weapons. I just don't like training that many much anymore.

Oh- and having extra lower weapon skills to train while hunting with less skilled friends just helps pass the time.

Certainly not necessary, but extra weapon skills can be fun.
Re: What to Hunt? 10/09/2011 04:01 PM CDT
>At low levels, training multiple weapons is good just to get a feel of what weapons you like. I switched several times up to 100.

Just to be contrary, weapons will train differently the first hundred or so ranks, since you're likely going to be just getting the stats you need to get lower RT, etc. So just because that ME is all shiney and fast now, doesn't mean it's going to keep outperforming HE (or 2he) at higher levels.

Re: What to Hunt? 10/10/2011 10:07 AM CDT
Yeah, considering HE is still below 100 ranks, and ME is nearing 200, I think it's more than time I start catching up HE.