Holy Water and Containers 01/30/2011 08:49 PM CST
I seem to remember somewhere something about a chalice that can be filled with blood that turns into holy water that doesn't run out. Is this true? If so where and how do I acquire such an item? I get heavy carrying around 3 vials and a pack full of spring water to be blessing to fill my vials. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

>>"It's part of the whole unnatural abominations upon Elanthia deal."<<

-Armifer
Re: Holy Water and Containers 01/31/2011 07:36 AM CST
It's technically mech abuse, but GMs don't seem overly concerned about it. The blood's in a basin at a shrine up by Lang.

Most places have fairly ready access to water if you don't feel like carrying around a whole bunch and don't care for stretching the rules.
http://www.kythsjournal.com/water.htm

Tachid smugly exclaims, "Die midget!"
Re: Holy Water and Containers 01/31/2011 08:20 AM CST
>It's technically mech abuse, but GMs don't seem overly concerned about it. The blood's in a basin at a shrine up by Lang.

The last time I tried this I ended up having to drop every part or water on my char because the water wasn't working correctly for my char, and the GM sorta advised me to leave it alone
Re: Holy Water and Containers 03/03/2011 09:10 AM CST
Sorry to arrive late to this conversation. But if you are carrying around water in anything but a chalice, you are wasting your time. A chalice holds 60 or more units of water.

Due to certain quirks you will sometimes end up with water as an item to store in your containers wherever, but I don't find this super useful for me and try to get rid of it as quickly as possible. There are vats of holy water in the Crossings Guild, a fountain of Holy water in Shard, and others I don't know of off hand. I count my chalice once in awhile and if it seems to be getting more than 20 units from full I just refill them from a nearby source.

I'm not sure of the weight issues, but I always carry two chalices I fill every once in a great moon. I never bless water except when I am filling the bath in Crossings for devotional purposes.
Re: Holy Water and Containers 03/03/2011 12:32 PM CST
I just rechecked my chalice. Its over 60 stones. Thats crazy! Now I understand why people carry water in other ways. This doesn't seem to make any sense. If gem pouches and lockpick rings and bundles can scrunch stuff together, shouldn't a chalice be able to reduce the weight of the water.

For something that small held in my hand, it weighs more than the orphans I pick out for dinner.
Re: Holy Water and Containers 02/12/2013 02:01 AM CST
My apologies for necroing an old post.

I seem to remember there being a way to cast bless on an item carrying "normal" water and it causing all the water in the item to become holy water. It doesn't appear to be working with my vessel. Anyone have any tips on how this works? Perhaps a location that just always has holy water that I can fill up my vessel at as well would work.
Re: Holy Water and Containers 02/12/2013 06:04 AM CST
Not sure if this is your problem. But for example I fill up my vessels from the trough in the center of Crossings, Prepare Bless, Cast Water in my Vessel (Chalice, vial, whatever). This works for me.
Re: Holy Water and Containers 02/12/2013 08:13 AM CST
You cast bless on water (not the vessel), when you have normal water in a vessel and it turns it into some holy water. The easiest way I've found to fill up a chalice for all of the holy water we need is to fill one container, in my case a bottle with some normal water, then pour bottle into chalice, over and over. Then, change rooms, hold chalice, prep bless, cast water.
Re: Holy Water and Containers 02/12/2013 09:31 AM CST
Cast water in (container) works. Holy water is semantically a different item than regular water, so you can use a fill, prep, cast, spam macro/script to fill a container from a water source, cast bless on the water in the container, then repeat.

Also, remember you can make water now, just make sure to have a container open in one hand when you do the commune. I can't honestly remember offhand, does Eluned's dirt commune produce generic water, or holy water?

Pants.
Re: Holy Water and Containers 02/12/2013 10:24 AM CST
>I can't honestly remember offhand, does Eluned's dirt commune produce generic water, or holy water?

It produces holy water.
Re: Holy Water and Containers 02/12/2013 10:28 AM CST
Thank you all for the tips.
Re: Holy Water and Containers 02/12/2013 10:42 AM CST
>It produces holy water.

With how much Theurgy? I've noticed it creating regular water which still requires bless be cast on it.
Re: Holy Water and Containers 02/12/2013 03:51 PM CST
>With how much Theurgy? I've noticed it creating regular water which still requires bless be cast on it.

At least when I do it with my silver vial, it gives me two uses of holy water. I started with Theurgy at 140 or so, and it was doing it then. 176 now.
Re: Holy Water and Containers 02/12/2013 06:26 PM CST
Having done just a little bit of testing, I think it matters what type of container you are using with the commune. If I use my backpack then it is just regular water every time, if I use my chalice then it is always holy water.
Re: Holy Water and Containers 02/12/2013 07:59 PM CST
I totally want a backpack of water now.

Two reasons:
1) I can put it on my back and pretend to be a camel.
2) BACKPACK OF WATER! need I say more?

Nikpack
Re: Holy Water and Containers 02/13/2013 01:23 AM CST
Curious as to what this message means:

>You struggle to commune, but feel somehow too hollow to channel Eluned's waters.

Just a baby Cleric, 17 Theurgy. I'm struggling to get Theurgy moving at all, so would appreciate any help getting this commune to work.

I've tried with various containers in my hands, dirt in right/left hands, etc. Am I doing it wrong?

Also, any folks have tips for training Theurgy at the lowest levels?

Thanks
GENT
Re: Holy Water and Containers 02/13/2013 02:27 AM CST
That message indicates that your devotion is too low. You need to have a fair bit more devotion than what the commune costs in most cases. At the level of devotion you must be at, it won't take too many rituals to get up past the threshold to be able to perform it.

As far as which hands to use for which item - it doesn't matter.

And for young clerics, especially if you're not building enough devotion, you really should focus on getting a routine down for doing as many different rituals as you can in a short period of time. Then pop through that sequence a few times an hour. When you get up enough devotion to fire off some communes - awesome. If you aren't bringing in devotion fast enough to keep the communes recharged, expect to maintain just whatever trickle you get from your ritual routine.

Also, keep in mind that commune exp gain is set on a timer, which you can check with commune sense (which also tells you if you are ready to even perform another commune, and any communes you know or have on you currently).

AGM Ricinus
Dev Systems
Cleric Advocate