Clericky weapons for future Merchants and festivals 05/26/2010 06:48 PM CDT
Pursuing the topic from the other board...

First of all responding to "While in general I support the idea of better quality fest weapons/armor, the khuj isn't really a realistic standard. It's better than any forged halberd, in my opinion. The golden tasseled spear is also very good for a pike (which is overall a poor weapon type)."

I understand your point, but my counter is this- the only reason people use Khuj's and festival halbards is because they are better than forged and all other store bought weapons. The reason we use Quads and festival throwing hammers is because they are better than the store bought options.

Since the Khuj and the Lochaber Axe happen to be storebought weapons availible to anyone, I say yes, use these as the template. It is silly to sell inferior weapons that have nice looks when no one will use them. At least with halbards, we are not infringing on forging territory by suggesting good festival weapons. The same goes for the golden tasseled spear- the last festival had spears that were just as good, no reason not to suggest more.

Face it- fluffy guild weapons from festivals only get used if they have decent stats or have some other utility, like being a swappable weapon.

So while I propose that we suggest guild oriented weaponry, I think that the Cleric War Bastard Sword is unlikely to get much use, but a Cleric War Halbard might well have good enough stats that I might buy several, just to be carrying something besides a khuj.

Weapons I suggest:
Halbards
Pikes
Throwing Hammers and Axes
QS

Any others I am forgetting? Maybe some equivelant to Slurbows? Decent comp bows?

I will have actual suggestions another time- this was just trying to set the stage.
Re: Clericky weapons for future Merchants and festivals 05/26/2010 07:03 PM CDT
Yeah, it's a tough issue. The age-old debate: should boring player-made items be the top of the line, or should rare festival items be the best?

>describe boar
It's a boar. It doesn't like you.
Re: Clericky weapons for future Merchants and festivals 05/26/2010 11:04 PM CDT
>Yeah, it's a tough issue. The age-old debate: should boring player-made items be the top of the line, or should rare festival items be the best?

Neither.

'Boring' Player made weapons should be semi capped. Given how relatively easy it is to get something altered now since so many people have Premy points, eh.

On the flip side, fest weapons with neato looks need to either be competitively stat'ed, be a weapon which can't be 'forged' well, such as halberd, or offer some type of mechanical advantage that surpasses stats for some reason, like ME/LT or something.
Re: Clericky weapons for future Merchants and festivals 05/26/2010 11:17 PM CDT
Or here's another option:

Festivals should sell a plan/recipe/template that change the look of a player weapon to that.

So a a voucher for "iron-pommel bastard sword with the Cleric's guild symbol engraved on the hilt" would allow a forger to turn a plain-looking bastard sword to meet that description.

Sometime to be packaged with the forging part of the Mech Lore Split of yesteryears?
Re: Clericky weapons for future Merchants and festivals 05/27/2010 10:26 AM CDT
More weapons like the Cleric weapons from Forever Faithful at the Hollow Eve fest (which are copies of the Outcast weapons) but a little less fancy-looking would be nice. Tough to really think of any archetypal Cleric weapons in DR besides the ones represented as gods' favorites (the dual swords of Harawep or iron staff of Ushnish for example). The Cleric NPCs I've seen tend to lean towards swords, blunts, throwns, polearms and of course holy fists of fury.

Main thing I'd like to see now is a Cleric spell prep merchant that has aligned and/or god-specific preps.

Collars and cassocks are awesome, and THANK YOU for bringing back the carving cases and god-specific orbs.

~Thilan
"To be honest, my son, the practice of Holy magic is really just reckless tampering with one's soul."
Re: Clericky weapons for future Merchants and festivals 05/27/2010 03:37 PM CDT
I think something that would be neat is a weapon along the lines of the "priest's" weapon in the beginning of Gangs of New York. The big iron cross thing. I'm thinking of something like:

>Tap icon
You tap a heavy steel Trothfang icon set atop a sturdy haft of bloodwood.

>Look icon
Set atop an unpolished haft of bloodwood, the heavy iron icon depicts a rampant centaur. The icon is pitted and scarred, suggesting this Holy implement has seen its fair share of battle.

I imagine this weapon to be HB.

- Fuquois

Board Villainy is a lost art.
Re: Clericky weapons for future Merchants and festivals 05/27/2010 03:40 PM CDT
I love it Fuquois
Re: Clericky weapons for future Merchants and festivals 05/27/2010 03:49 PM CDT
For reference:
http://odeon.typepad.com/silverscreen/gangs4.jpg

- Fuquois

Board Villainy is a lost art.
Re: Clericky weapons for future Merchants and festivals 05/27/2010 05:03 PM CDT
Do want
Re: Clericky weapons for future Merchants and festivals 05/27/2010 08:03 PM CDT
A Priest Beheading Axe (halbard- think Lochaber Axe)

Originally designed for the ritual execution of clergy who had blasphemed against the god, this long axe has a wide blade on one side designed for head and limb removal, and a hammer on the reverse for crushing skulls.

A Spector Glaive (another halbard

The long cutting edge at the end of the handle is rumored to be especially effective against spectors and spirits
Re: Clericky weapons for future Merchants and festivals 05/27/2010 08:10 PM CDT
Ooh, drool! Okay, I think I need to get a look at those!

Sometimes the key to happiness is not assuming it is locked in the first place- Ziggy

A journey of a thousand SMILES begins with a single step- Ziggy