Collapsable Tent.. Or somesuch? 07/17/2012 12:11 PM CDT
I'm sure this has probably been suggested in the past, and may even exist. But how about a collapsible tent - Umbrella? - Tarp over a few poles? That is portable and you can set up outside to prevent/lessen the damage from precipitation to instruments.

-Raziaar
Re: Collapsable Tent.. Or somesuch? 07/17/2012 01:16 PM CDT

We DO have umbrellas - do you mean something more hands-free that you'd toss down and play in a shelter?

Code-wise, I'm not sure it'd work without making it a separate room, which may or may not be what you'd want, if you really wanted to be able to play to folks passing by (or what-have-you). Or, well, I can think of how it might, but I'm not sure of what kind of other borkiness it might run into trying to do it that other way.

VGM
Re: Collapsable Tent.. Or somesuch? 07/17/2012 01:27 PM CDT
IMO, might be easier/better/cooler if an alchemy craft (I assume potions?) would let you craft a waterproofing sealant that you could apply to instruments.

"You always have to be a know-it-all. And you don't. Know. It. All." - GERSTEINJ2
Re: Collapsable Tent.. Or somesuch? 07/17/2012 01:40 PM CDT
The umbrellas sold at the last fest don't do anything to protect instruments... I was sadface.

I like the sealant idea, though I don't know how realistic it would be. Maybe another option could be an enchantment.

-- Player of Eyuve
Re: Collapsable Tent.. Or somesuch? 07/17/2012 03:09 PM CDT
>>Code-wise, I'm not sure it'd work without making it a separate room

Hmmm.

-Raesh

"Ever notice that B.A.'s flavor text swells in direct proportion to how much one of our characters is getting screwed?" - Brian Van Hoose
Re: Collapsable Tent.. Or somesuch? 07/17/2012 04:23 PM CDT
Caress of the Sun dries/prevents water from falling on the instruments. But it doesn't work for others in your group. So honestly, I have no clue if it's even possible.
Re: Collapsable Tent.. Or somesuch? 07/17/2012 08:13 PM CDT
Vaeldrill - Yes i was thinking something more hands free so I could play a tapani or other two handed instruments.

J3R0 - Caress of the Sun does do that, but what if I wanted to play another song which is instrument only such as drums of the snake or sanctuary.

Raesh, Vaeldrill and company - I could also see quite a few RP uses I would have for such a collapsible canopy or tent.

-Raziaar
Re: Collapsable Tent.. Or somesuch? 07/17/2012 09:01 PM CDT
>>Caress of the Sun does do that, but what if I wanted to play another song which is instrument only such as drums of the snake or sanctuary.

3.0 fixes this issue

TG, TG, GL, et al.

"Disagreement with the fundamental plan at this point is akin to supporting Richard III vs the Tudors."
-Raesh
Re: Collapsable Tent.. Or somesuch? 07/24/2012 01:45 PM CDT

The umbrella from Weather Beaters do keep off rain/snow but you had to buy one that was sold in the rainy day showroom.

If you really want one Eyuve just find Linett IG and bring it up, she will give you hers since she can always chant CARE to keep dry.

Linett
Re: Collapsable Tent.. Or somesuch? 07/25/2012 12:13 AM CDT
>>The umbrella from Weather Beaters do keep off rain/snow but you had to buy one that was sold in the rainy day showroom.

Really? I had one and tried it and couldn't get it to work. I had it in hand and open and the rain still fell right on the instrument. What was I doing wrong?

-- Player of Eyuve
Re: Collapsable Tent.. Or somesuch? 07/29/2012 08:35 AM CDT

there were 2 different umbrellas sold, the ones in the not rainy day part do not block rain/snow.

If you look on Elanthipedia, merchant Weather Beaters (2) you can see which ones were sold in rainy day side.

I have a black canvas one that blocks rain and like 5 that do not, as I had the same troubles Eyuve. :)

Linett
Re: Collapsable Tent.. Or somesuch? 07/30/2012 04:10 AM CDT
>>If you look on Elanthipedia, merchant Weather Beaters (2) you can see which ones were sold in rainy day side.

Hmm. I got several canvas ones from the rainy day side. What's the syntax for making them work?

-- Player of Eyuve
Re: Collapsable Tent.. Or somesuch? 07/30/2012 12:46 PM CDT

>What's the syntax for making them work?

Open umbrella.
Re: Collapsable Tent.. Or somesuch? 07/31/2012 04:15 AM CDT
>>Open umbrella.

Argh, I did this. I'll try again once it starts raining/snowing.

-- Player of Eyuve
Re: Collapsable Tent.. Or somesuch? 07/31/2012 12:38 PM CDT

Maybe it has to be in the left hand, because it definantly works. I tried it with spoons, mandolin, and an ocarina and they all stayed dry. I went inside and tried to wipe them off the be sure and they were dry.

>get umb
You get a burnished-gold canvas umbrella from inside your sailcloth carry-all.
>open umb
You open a burnished-gold canvas umbrella with a snap.
>swa
You move a burnished-gold canvas umbrella to your left hand.
>get spoon
You get a set of shiny silver spoons from inside your canvas sack.
>
The snow falls silently down on a burnished-gold canvas umbrella, protecting your silver spoons.
Re: Collapsable Tent.. Or somesuch? 08/01/2012 01:03 AM CDT
>>Maybe it has to be in the left hand

Man, this was it. Last time I tested, I took out the umbrella first, so it was in my right hand. This time I tried both ways -- my bones got wet when the umbrella was in my right hand, but were protected when it was in my left hand.

Might be nice if it worked with both hands, but I'm happy at least that it works!

-- Player of Eyuve
Re: Collapsable Tent.. Or somesuch? 08/02/2012 06:34 AM CDT

Oh heck! I didn't know left hand!

(runs off to test a bunch of umbrellas)

anyone need an umbrella? I seem to have a surplus now. :)

Hey fancy GM who cares about umbrellas, maybe a note at the fest shop or a note when you look at the umbrella could indicate you have to hold it in your left hand?

peace-Linett!