Instrument damage 07/03/2012 11:14 AM CDT
are the cases that are sold in the shops instended to prevent, or minimize damage to instruments?
or do they just require repair frequently from use and being thrown around in the backpacks and such we have them in?
Re: Instrument damage 07/03/2012 11:50 AM CDT
Basically if you toss an instrument in a bag with a ton of other stuff, you will injure it.

Tossing it in a bag with only other instruments will prevent this.

You can also wear and tear instruments by using them as weapons, using them in watery situations (rain snow underwater etc) and I think you can still injure them be dropping them instead of putting them.

Let's save us all some time: I'm a troll who rarely has anything helpful. There.
Re: Instrument damage 07/03/2012 12:37 PM CDT
>>using them in watery situations (rain snow underwater etc)

At least in this situation, there are anti-water damage instruments.

"You always have to be a know-it-all. And you don't. Know. It. All." - GERSTEINJ2
Re: Instrument damage 07/03/2012 04:10 PM CDT
>>Basically if you toss an instrument in a bag with a ton of other stuff, you will injure it.

Wow, really? Do you have evidence for this? I've always kept instruments in a case, so I never noticed this.

-- Player of Eyuve
Re: Instrument damage 07/03/2012 04:26 PM CDT
>>Basically if you toss an instrument in a bag with a ton of other stuff, you will injure it.

I have never had an instrument damaged in this manner, even with 5+ years of constant use/storage in my backpack. I'm not sure if there are specific conditions under which damage takes place, but I've never seen it.

GENT
Re: Instrument damage 07/03/2012 04:43 PM CDT
I stand corrected I guess. Sorry.

Let's save us all some time: I'm a troll who rarely has anything helpful. There.
Re: Instrument damage 07/03/2012 06:55 PM CDT
no worries :)

so basically just get a case for each instrument
Re: Instrument damage 07/04/2012 01:20 AM CDT
>>so basically just get a case for each instrument

Well according to GENT's post you don't have to. You can choose to get a case for each, or one large case for all of them, for RP reasons. Or you can store them in your backpack or wherever.

You DO have to worry about them getting damaged in rain/snow/sandstorm.

-- Player of Eyuve
Re: Instrument damage 07/04/2012 09:29 AM CDT
I took a trip up to riverhaven and found some cases there that I can wear and put my instruments in, havent had damage on any yet :)
Re: Instrument damage 07/04/2012 09:31 AM CDT
Why'd you have to go to haven? I use the medium case for mine.

Re: Instrument damage 07/04/2012 12:30 PM CDT
I think the difference is instrument cases stop the dirtiness-timer, or something like that? Can't remember the specifics, or of course find the post at the moment. I know I haven't had to clean any of my instruments at all in the past few years, and I use instrument cases.

Killing you softly with his song,
- Stormsinger Shavay

"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"
- Arthur O'Shaughnessy
Re: Instrument damage 07/04/2012 04:04 PM CDT
Everything stops the dirtiness timer, these days; apparently it was too system intensive. I haven't needed to clean an instrument in years, either, and I keep mine in my backpack.
Re: Instrument damage 07/05/2012 12:34 AM CDT
Ditto on cleaning. I'm not sure what causes dirt as I almost never had to clean my instruments with 24/7 playing over many years.

It isn't intuitive, because the GLs and all the Bard shops make it seem like instrument cases are the only way to properly store your instruments. The mechanics just don't back it up.

I am all in favor of having to diligently perform upkeep on instruments. I think that instruments should actually mean something to a Bard. Right now they are really no different from a sword/shield/piece of armor/pyramid/cambrinth item: they are just used to train skills. I think they should require time and energy to maintain.

GENT

p.s. Never meant to be snarky if I came across that way! :)
Re: Instrument damage 07/05/2012 12:41 AM CDT
>>I'm not sure what causes dirt as I almost never had to clean my instruments with 24/7 playing over many years.

Huh. I actually do have to clean my instruments with my low level bard -- maybe once a day or every other day. Makes me wonder if there isn't some skill involved. Clean the instrument with enough Mech or Instrument skill and it gets protected from dust for a longer time, until eventually it's near-permanent?

-- Player of Eyuve
Re: Instrument damage 07/05/2012 04:08 AM CDT
Maybe Barbs have some bonus to instrument upkeep, or instrument quality comes into play somehow?

My Trader (145 winds) and Barbarian (402 winds) both have to clean their instruments constantly. For reference, I stow them in my backpack. They seem to need cleaning after X amount of use, and putting them in the backpack sometimes does seem to make them require cleaning again even if I just cleaned them prior to stowing.
Re: Instrument damage 07/05/2012 04:09 AM CDT
Oh, also - I play them in the rain a lot. This might somehow affect the rate of dirtiness.
Re: Instrument damage 07/05/2012 09:11 AM CDT
I think it might be the weather aspect that's making them dirty. I never had to clean my instrument for ages until I started breaking them out in bad weather.

-=Issus=-
Re: Instrument damage 07/05/2012 02:48 PM CDT
I think weather is a factor, for sure, but there may be a Bard/non-Bard component to it as well. I know when I futz around with instruments on non-Bard characters, cleaning is somewhat laborious. Hmm.

GENT
Re: Instrument damage 07/07/2012 06:13 PM CDT
I used to carry three instruments in my pack with a bunch of other stuff and never had one damaged. Switched to carrying one instrument when I found out the skills were being combined. Haven't had to clean any of them since they turned off dirt accumulation while in containers more than once maybe, and that change went in years ago. And I've spent a ton of time playing instruments as a non-Bard. I'd guess that weather is what's causing the rapid dirtying since I almost never play in the rain.

~Minstrel Ascot, Bladesinger of M'riss
Re: Instrument damage 07/18/2012 12:26 AM CDT
It has been ages since I used any instrument cases, I just found that most weren't big enough so ditched that way back when for an ease on weight. I threw all of my instruments into one pack for ages until I finally found a case that fits a ton:

You rummage through a medium leather case embellished with a cambrinth medallion and see a pair of blackened zills engraved with a flying heron, a deep green silk cloth woven cross-grain with a magnificent sleeping dragon, a slender silver txistu tipped with a white onyx dragon-shaped mouthpiece, an ebonwood bow, a magnificently crafted black ironwood lyra viol with intricately carved ivory tuning pegs, a shaped obsidian pick, a platinum-tipped drum stick, a yellowed ivory tipper set with a carved ruby-eyed skull, a set of instrument strings and a finely woven cloth of claret-hued silk delicately embroidered with miniature silver lutes.

Those festival Cambrinth cases are awesome.

Then again my spoons have been in my reticule forever and never have gotten damaged.