Bringing up Something Old 06/19/2012 10:29 PM CDT
So, for years the idea of Bards getting songbirds was discussed inside and out. There were a ton of different ideas and we were slowly but surely narrowing them down. The last Official Word I can find on the boards was from 2009 or so:

Vaeldriil says, "The proposal, as stands right now (hasn't been submitted yet), is that they're more of a local contact to accomplish some purpose."

Vaeldriil says, "Those purposes may include messages and other similar things."
s>

Tathlenia asks, "Like transporting coconuts?"
s>
Vaeldriil says, "Right now, that does not mean they sing enchantes, though having a ..."
s>
Vaeldriil bops Tathlenia over the head.
s>
Terra asks, "Like thief contacts or aid in magic in anyway? Possibly different types of birds?"

Terra asks, "Like fir familiars and elemental magic maybe?"
s>
Vaeldriil says, "...though having some kind of boost after using them isn't out of the question."

You say, "I'd prefer no messages and no mana boost if it allowed for dual enchantes"

Mhaeric says, "I think... music box enchantements would allow that..."
s>
Vaeldriil says, "Well, enchantes would only work with a trained pet, and that's kinda been axed."
s>

Vaeldriil says, "I think music boxes are much more likely for enchantes than songbirds."

I also seem to recall V saying there some level of approval at some point, but to be honest searching the boards is a chore and it could have been something said at a Con or something. I figure Everything 3.0 kind of changes the game in a lot of ways, as do Heritages, but I thought I'd bring up Songbirds too and see what ever happened with them, if they might still ever be a thing, and so on.

There are so many ways that those discussions went, but I don't ever think we considered making them more item-like than familiar-like. Maybe they could be an item anyone could buy, but really only "work" for Bards.

Non-bards would have to get a small cage to carry their songbird in, and they could feed it and have some fluff verbs, but that's it.

Bards would be able to bond with their bird in some way. Maybe as the bond grows, the appearance of the bird changes more and more from the default setting so they eventually become unique. As for what they can do, I guess that'd depend on what Mama V's proposal was, or what would be considered doable in such a capacity these days. Not a fluff item, though...we need an item with cool factor and usefulness.

-=Issus=-
Re: Bringing up Something Old 06/20/2012 03:45 PM CDT
Haha, getting old issus? keeping all those logs in the drawer ;P

* Malik was just struck down!
Re: Bringing up Something Old 06/20/2012 04:20 PM CDT
Haha, actually went through the mind numbing task of finding the log from these very boards. It was...not pretty.

Also, come on Bards! Speak up! Lets get these boards to be more than "Why is my enchante hitting Concussion?" and "Just rolled a bard, what do?" This place is a graveyard!

-=Issus=-
Re: Bringing up Something Old 06/20/2012 09:35 PM CDT
Have never heard about song birds, but I like the concept. I was one of the people for each guild having their own 'pet', this seems like something that should be done. I know there is a terrible amount of things currently on the burner thought. Including but not limited to the heritages being developed.

Re: Bringing up Something Old 06/20/2012 10:16 PM CDT
Yeah, I'm definitely not as desperate for it as I once was because when we were first pushing for them it was largely because we wanted something to offset our restriction to a single enchante at a time. Now that things are changing all around, I think there's still a place for the concept, just in a different role. Not a dire "OMG We Need This!" sort of idea, but more of a "Let's talk about it and see if we can think up anything interesting" kind of thing. With such huge changes going on with 3.0 and the Heritages, you never know when a smaller/less system-wide idea might just get picked up by a GM looking for something less onerous to take on.

-=Issus=-
Re: Bringing up Something Old 06/21/2012 03:11 AM CDT
I do like the idea. I guess my only real issue is that people tend to want pets that are customized to them. I was actually put off from the Ranger guild for a long time because it seemed like everyone had a wolf and a raccoon. All the same.

So, maybe we could get creative, and allow various small pets. Maybe it could be a system across guilds, but different guilds would be able to get different things out of the pets. Like, songbirds and other sound-producing animals might work well with Bards (calling to dolphins while swimming?), Thieves might get a stealing bonus from monkeys, etc. Perhaps Bards would be able to perform with their animals, regardless of what they are, and teach most to relay messages.

For me personally, I think pets are neat, but I wouldn't want them to be SO neat that I'd feel I had to take one if it wasn't my style. I would hate it if they atmo'd (haaaate atmo). But if you could get that balance of nice little fluff piece with a few useful additions, and allow for a huge variety of them, I think it could be awesome.

-- Player of Eyuve
Re: Bringing up Something Old 06/21/2012 03:18 AM CDT
I currently have no plans to develop songbirds or other Bardic pets. Summons in the vein of naga or aether wolves and so forth are more likely.

-Raesh

"Ever notice that B.A.'s flavor text swells in direct proportion to how much one of our characters is getting screwed?" - Brian Van Hoose
Re: Bringing up Something Old 06/21/2012 08:18 AM CDT
Like I said, I think at this point treating them as a pet or something in the actual "pet" family wouldn't even really be all that desirable. Too much effort for too little payout. However, making them items that only worked for Bards and actually functioned to improve skills? That'd be pretty cool. So far Bard items are relegated to knots, neithral bands, and warhorns. While I believe warhorns were said to be expanding, I don't know if that's still planned.

When an auction rolls around or a quest comes up, the best a Bard can hope for right now is an instrument which is functionally identical to any other of it's type, or a warhorn that does the less desirable effect of Sanctuary for a short time.

-=Issus=-

Re: Bringing up Something Old 06/21/2012 08:58 AM CDT
>>When an auction rolls around or a quest comes up, the best a Bard can hope for right now is an instrument which is functionally identical to any other of it's type, or a warhorn that does the less desirable effect of Sanctuary for a short time.

That's a topic worth pursuing.

-Raesh

"Ever notice that B.A.'s flavor text swells in direct proportion to how much one of our characters is getting screwed?" - Brian Van Hoose
Re: Bringing up Something Old 06/21/2012 02:04 PM CDT
>>While I believe warhorns were said to be expanding, I don't know if that's still planned.

I would really like to see this happen. Some kind of rallying cry ability that might give boosts to people in your group, or direct people to run to where you are. Creating sounds that warn people of invasions and where they're happening (like you hear the horns blowing at the west gate), and different sounds for triage and for random dead body locations. Calls that would indicate things like "more clerics needed at triage" and "here's a dead body someone come pick it up."

Also, it would be neat if you could "link" to people in your war party, and then making the rallying cry would teleport them to you as long as they're within X distance.

>>When an auction rolls around or a quest comes up, the best a Bard can hope for right now is an instrument which is functionally identical to any other of it's type, or a warhorn that does the less desirable effect of Sanctuary for a short time.

Yeah, Bards do need more. I liked the sound of that elemental blade you mentioned? Some more elemental stuff would definitely be cool.

-- Player of Eyuve
Re: Bringing up Something Old 06/21/2012 02:13 PM CDT
I would also like to see warhorns expanded some. Do they even do anything for Bards, besides the fluff stuff? I've always wondered why they were tailored for bards/barbarians and the one useful function was restricted from Bards.
Re: Bringing up Something Old 06/21/2012 02:24 PM CDT
For Bards, we can make it so nothing spawns in our room. :/ Here's the google doc I made and emailed to the GMs years ago: Some of it's outdated now, but you'll get the gist of what I was hoping these would become:

War Horn Ideas

First, here's the log of what happened at the bard meeting:

Vaeldriil asks, "War horns - that's been looked into and such, but the question is, what good do you think they'd do?"

You say, "Yeah, I'm curious what the actual intent with those is"
s>
Terra says, "Well, me too. That was kind of part of my question I guess"

Faih asks, "Annoy folk a couple rooms away?"

Raithren says, "Personally being able to alert a city to a invasion would be nice."

Vaeldriil says, "I mean, folks already Gweth Across Elanthia and find out in Aesry that there's an invasion in Hibbles in 2.354 seconds."

You say, "Gweths do that"

You nod to Vaeldriil.

Terra grins at Vaeldriil.

Raithren says, "Not everyone uses gweths."

You say, "Not everyone would heed a warhorn"

Katralyn asks, "what about hearing our enchantes in other rooms?"
s>
Raithren says, "I can see it being a quest thing."

Katralyn says, "might warn people to step lively"
s>
You say, "I could see warhorns being interesting if they gave a buff to either offense or defense via stat buffs..."

You say, "AOE buff, that is"
s>
Katralyn leaps to her feet!
s>
Vaeldriil says, "Warhorns. They're a possibility, of course - but I just dunno how much benefit there'd be from them to justify coding them over, say, something else. If they buffed, yeah, that'd be one possible benie."
s
You say, "Lingers a while, down time between uses kind of thing"
s>
Vaeldriil says, "Now I'm using benie. Yeesh."

Terra says, "I want more buffs. I want a charisma buff, vigil blows my arms off too often."

Faih says, "As long as you don't say beanie"

You say, "Maybe make them fest level items, or like warpaint : Available regularly, but better ones with more uses at fests"
s>
Vaeldriil asks, "So better ones would be longer range or something?"

You nod to Vaeldriil.

You say, "Yeah! That'd be kind of neat"

You say, "The close you are to the bard, the bigger the buff"
s>
Tiesse asks, "What about vitality or fatigue if you're in a group?"
s>
Terra says, "What are the chances of getting more lore about the naga? I love them so much, and I put them on way too many things that I own, but I'd like to know more about them."
s>
Tiesse says, "Like if you blew your horn, and everyone in your group got an increase to vitality and/or fatigue."
s>
Vaeldriil asks, "You like them?"
s>
Vaeldriil peers quizzically at Terra.
s>
Terra whispers, "God, I'm pulling these questions out of my ears! I hope some of them are useful."
s>
Vaeldriil ducks her head.

You say, "Ranges could be extensive to really make them cool. In group, in room, adjacent rooms, up to five rooms away, and the weakest and furthest tier being in the same city sized area"
s>
Terra nods to Vaeldriil.
s>
Faih grins.

You say, "Vitality might be trodding on Paladin toes a bit"
s>
Terra says to Vaeldriil, "I probably have 15 items with naga's on them in some form or fashion, I am stripped down for the quest tomorrow though."
s>
Terra rummages through a fine mesh backpack with a frantic look of loss.
s>
Vaeldriil asks, "Any more so than treading on our own with lilt?"

Vaeldriil grins at you.

You grin at Vaeldriil.
s>
Vaeldriil begins chortling at Terra.

You say, "Well, they buff Vitality beyond 100 percent"

You say, "Lilt just restores it faster"
s>
Vaeldriil says, "Ah."
s>
Vaeldriil chortles softly at some secret joke.

You say, "Courage, that is"
s>
You say, "Could even have either different horns, or different ways to use each horn, to choose what to buff. Quick bursts meant to alert people=agil, reflex. Inspiring monster bellow=stam and strength... a specific signal notifying of an enemy formation=wisd int disc"

Tiesse nods to you.

Terra asks, "That is a great idea Issus, because I believe we were supposed to share war horns with Barbarians, yah?"

You say, "I dunno if they're really interested in them though"

You say, "Never heard one mention them"

Tiesse says, "We can ask around."

You say, "Maybe ours could be a stat boost, and theirs would be straight up defense or offense rank boost"

SO! Moving from there, I guess I'll write up what I think would be an interesting implementation.

Bards- Stat boost. The base value of the boost would be improved further by the bards Charisma. The range would increase with Winds and Musical theory skill.

Barbarians- Rank boost. The base value of the boost would be improved by the barbarians intimidation factor. Range increased by stamina and winds skill.

Using a warhorn would not drain IF or bardic mojo.

RANGES: The person using the warhorn and those in their group would get the biggest buff. Others in the room would get a slightly smaller buff. Adjacent rooms up to five rooms away would get a moderate buff. Anyone within a city sized area would receive a small buff.

The idea of the warhorns being that they provide a warning signal of some sort, it makes sense for them to have a gigantic range.

THE HORNS: Horns would have unlimited uses. Limited use items are relegated to the realm of gimmicky vault fodder. Alternatively, they'd each have 10 uses, but could be repaired to full strength by a bard. Either way, so long as we're not forced to buy 500 damn horns to stockpile, it's a good thing.

There could be a shop in game that sells basic warhorns that give a base (but still notable) buff. Merchants at fests and such could sell more powerful warhorns that give a boost to both buff size and range achieved. Auctions could sell even more powerful versions (legendary level) that would not only crank up the buff, but would extend the maximum range even further, even to province level. Again, because of the inclusion of more powerful and harder to get warhorns, limited uses (without being able to recharge using repair) would just make them an LOL ability.

There would be a similar setup to how polo cloaks work: a cooldown time (12 hours?) for each warhorn, and a seperate cooldown time (3 hours?) between different warhorns

THE BUFFS: Each warhorn could be played three ways: Alert, attack, and identify.

blow horn alert- Bard: Gives a large buff to reflex, and stamina. Barbarian- Gives a large boost to defenses.

blow horn attack- Bard: Gives a moderate buff to agility, charisma, and strength. Barbarian: Gives a large boost to weapon ranks

blow horn identify- Bard: Gives a moderate buff to wisdom, discipline, and intelligence. Barbarian: gives a small boost to weapons and defenses

The duration of the buff would need to be in the 10-20 minute range for this to be worthwhile, IMO. A thirty second buff in an invasion is pretty useless, and invasions are really where these seem most suited to shine.

-=Issus=-
Re: Bringing up Something Old 06/21/2012 02:31 PM CDT
Well, something is better than nothing.
Re: Bringing up Something Old 06/21/2012 02:35 PM CDT
>> the one useful function was restricted from Bards.

> Well, something is better than nothing.

No, you were right the first time.
Re: Bringing up Something Old 06/21/2012 02:52 PM CDT
Still trying to figure out a good time to do the Nijare contest. However, as far as actual usefulness, it's pretty much a subpar LE with some verbs. Interesting, but not overly useful.

So, let's think up some interesting Bard items! So far we have:

Warhorns- Exist already, could use some expansion

Songbirds- Assuming this became an item, what would some basic functionality be for everyone to access? What would they do for Bards? Quoting my last post on these:
>>Non-bards would have to get a small cage to carry their songbird in, and they could feed it and have some fluff verbs, but that's it.

>>Bards would be able to bond with their bird in some way. Maybe as the bond grows, the appearance of the bird changes more and more from the default setting so they eventually become unique. As for what they can do, I guess that'd depend on what Mama V's proposal was, or what would be considered doable in such a capacity these days. Not a fluff item, though...we need an item with cool factor and usefulness.

First off, I wouldn't want them to be like parakeet charms and just deliver messages. While I could see that being a function they could perform for Bards, I wouldn't want it to be something they do for everyone, or the primary purpose for Bards. Since Magic is changing so much, the idea of them singing an enchante to lesser effect is kind of moot. Maybe make them offer a boost to spell types when activated?

>command songbird to sing alluring- Provides a boost to things like Balm, Sanctuary, Siren's Call, Damaris' Lullaby
>command songbird to sing shrill- Provides a boost to fear based spells like AeWO, Resolve, etc.

That could get pretty complicated coding-wise, though. More ideas! Think big! Post often! Let's brainstorm! Jaedren loves being bombarded by ideas, I promise!

-=Issus=-
Re: Bringing up Something Old 06/21/2012 02:52 PM CDT
@Malkien: LOL At the new Avatar and caption ahahahaha, well played sir!

-=Issus=-
Re: Bringing up Something Old 06/21/2012 03:09 PM CDT
Netheril (sp?) bands are awesome. I always thought they should be expanded.

Let's save us all some time: I'm a troll who rarely has anything helpful. There.
Re: Bringing up Something Old 06/21/2012 03:26 PM CDT
I agree that the concept is interesting, but aside from showing you a little glimpse of history they're functionless. If you could make them actually do something, what do you think some good options would be?

Neithrel's Bards were persecuted for speaking out. Maybe allow them to work between bards in a way similar to Gwerest shells, except all bands are within the network?

Maybe have them be chargeable: Any time a Dragon Priest dies while the band is worn (I know items can recognize creatures in the room, not sure if they can recognize them dying), it gets a charge. When fully charged it can be invoked to restore Mojo?

Maybe make them shudder when in a room with Recalls or in the presence of an item with Recall history? I still don't understand the point of Recalls, but people seem to love them haha

-=Issus=-
Re: Bringing up Something Old 06/21/2012 04:11 PM CDT
Songbirds - I'd like to see them deliver messages, react to you playing (perhaps sing-a-long or sway to the music), fluff verbs, and offer a boost to our Bardic Lore when it comes about. Perhaps be one of those items you can could only use once a day.

Neithrel Bands - I like the "Private Bard Network Idea" because that would be amazing for helping to encourage Bard-to-Bard socializing.

I want, no scratch that, I desire to see some sort of item that draws fuel from our 'mojo' to boost it. Maybe a Bard-Specific weapon that once focused will boost its damage by a percentage while draining mojo. Or an charm that will boost stealth at the cost of 'mojo'.

And some other way to restore our mojo than .reckus (admit it, we all use it and primarily for that very reason since it takes almost a full run to restore mojo anyways)