Harmonicas 06/12/2012 07:04 PM CDT
Can we have harmonicas, oh please please. I'd love whoever makes this happen forever. We had concertinas which are free reed instruments already, so I really don't see what the problem with a harmonica would be. Did I mention please and love?
Re: Harmonicas 06/12/2012 09:28 PM CDT
Aren't Harmonica's a really, really, modern invention? Like Bagpipes, they don't really fit the era?

Let's save us all some time: I'm a troll who rarely has anything helpful. There.
Re: Harmonicas 06/12/2012 09:40 PM CDT
From Wikipedia
"Around 1820, free reed designs began being created in Europe. While Christian Friedrich Ludwig Buschmann is often cited as the inventor of the harmonica in 1821, other inventors developed similar instruments at the same time"

"The concertina was developed in England and Germany, most likely independently. The English version was invented in 1829 by Sir Charles Wheatstone and a patent for an improved version was filed by him in 1844. The German version was announced in 1834 by Carl Friedrich Uhlig."

So harmonicas would be more era than concertinas and we have concertinas.
Re: Harmonicas 06/13/2012 10:58 AM CDT
<<Like Bagpipes, they don't really fit the era>>

I suggest reviewing the history of bagpipes. They have been around for a very long time. You could consult Grouts History of Music or the Oxford Dictionary of Music, but Wikipedia also has the following:

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Possible ancient origins
The evidence for Roman and pre-Roman era bagpipes is still uncertain but several textual and visual clues have been suggested. The Oxford History of Music claims that a sculpture of bagpipes has been found on a Hittite slab at Eyuk in the Middle East, dated to 1000 BC. In the 2nd century AD, Suetonius described the Roman Emperor Nero as a player of the tibia utricularis.[2] Dio Chrysostom, who also flourished in the 1st century, wrote about a contemporary sovereign (possibly Nero) who could play a pipe (tibia, Roman reedpipes, similar to Greek aulos) with his mouth as well as with his "armpit".[3]

Spread and development in Europe
In the early part of the second millennium, bagpipes began to appear with frequency in European art and iconography. The Cantigas de Santa Maria, compiled in Castile in the mid-13th century, depict several types of bagpipes.[4]

/---
Oh and last one, DR at any given time has a population of weenies that will criticize at the drop of a hat, don't take things personally it happens to everyone.
Leucius
Re: Harmonicas 06/13/2012 11:13 AM CDT
I don't think it's all that useful to argue about what instruments are and aren't thematically "proper" in the game if the basis revolves around what was available at a certain time period on earth. While Dragonrealms may have originally started out as "medieval fantasy," it hasn't kept as hardline of a stance since then. I don't think it's unreasonable to ask for instruments that may have not been period-appropriate based on Earth's own timeline.

"You always have to be a know-it-all. And you don't. Know. It. All." - GERSTEINJ2