Voices 08/06/2010 06:32 PM CDT
Just a simple question today. I'm looking into fixing up the way voice types work under the hood to help cut down on character corruption issues and other fun things like that - while I'm in the code are there any simple voice type related requests?

-Raesh
Re: Voices 08/06/2010 07:09 PM CDT
Probably not simple ones, no :(

(1. give them to everyone. 2. expandable/pickable ranges for bards)

But maybe I'll be surprised and 1 is easy :P
__
AIM: Ysselt
Re: Voices 08/06/2010 07:24 PM CDT
Technically speaking, 2 would be easier than 1 I think.

-Raesh
Re: Voices 08/06/2010 07:27 PM CDT
Well- I have one bardly character that I picture as a tenor, and another whom I envision as a soprano. Both of these are properly set, so I don't need any changes for them, unless perhaps it were to become possible to train voices to wider ranges. Make that a bard perk of some sort. :)

Sometimes the key to happiness is not assuming it is locked in the first place- Ziggy

A journey of a thousand SMILES begins with a single step- Ziggy
Re: Voices 08/07/2010 12:04 AM CDT
Allow anyone to have a soprano, mezzo-soprano, contralto, tenor, baritone, or bass voice with it being random.

Allow bards to further classify their voices as having a vocal subtype or weight as listed below and allow bards to choose their range and weight.

Soprano
* Coloratura, Lyric, Spinto, Dramatic
Mezzo-soprano
* Coloratura, Lyric, Dramatic
Contralto
* Coloratura, Lyric, Dramatic
Tenor
* Countertenor, Lyric, Spinto, Dramatic
Baritone
* Coloratura, Lyric, Dramatic, Bass-Baritone
Bass
* Lyric, Dramatic, Lyric profondo, Dramatic profondo

~Faih

Three things that make a bard:
Playing of the lute
Knowledge of ancient lore
Poetic power.
- adapted from the Triads
Re: Voices 08/07/2010 12:25 AM CDT
I'm really not sure voice type should be random. I might be weird, but I think a character's voice is as much a feature as hair or eyes. Is there really any advantage to some things being random and others not?

---

~Kevalia~
Re: Voices 08/07/2010 02:43 AM CDT
I meant for non-bards. Bards can choose.

~Faih

Three things that make a bard:
Playing of the lute
Knowledge of ancient lore
Poetic power.
- adapted from the Triads
Re: Voices 08/07/2010 03:32 AM CDT
I know. Everyone should be able to choose at char gen, Bards should be allowed to fine-tune their choices.

---

~Kevalia~
Re: Voices 08/07/2010 08:08 PM CDT
Realistically is there ever a time when other guilds would show their voice? Other than SINGing, I never even notice my voice, and I think most other guilds would rarely, if ever, notice theirs. I don't see it being an important thing to implement for other guilds, especially if it would take a lot of work.

It would be cool if Bards could pick their own voice, but I see that coming with when they join the guild, not at the rolling of a new character.

Bella
>>There are 7 levels of hell, she said, & I think one of them is reserved for people who bring jello salads to every potluck they go to.
Re: Voices 08/07/2010 08:35 PM CDT
>>Realistically is there ever a time when other guilds would show their voice?

Barbarians vocalize quite a bit, and in theory it could be important to both Clerics and Paladins in commonly used abilities.
Re: Voices 08/07/2010 08:52 PM CDT
>Barbarians vocalize quite a bit, and in theory it could be important to both Clerics and Paladins in commonly used abilities.

In these abilities, the pitch of their voices are shown or would affect it? That's basically what I'm asking. I guess I've never seen the sound of voice being very prevalent in normal day to day play of a Bard even aside from performance. I suppose that abilities could be rewritten to include this information, but that would be a lot of work.

Bella
>>There are 7 levels of hell, she said, & I think one of them is reserved for people who bring jello salads to every potluck they go to.
Re: Voices 08/07/2010 10:23 PM CDT
>>In these abilities, the pitch of their voices are shown or would affect it? That's basically what I'm asking.

Depends on how in the weeds you want to get, I suppose, but generally speaking for non-Bards the deeper the voice is for a male, the better. As far as females, hard to say, I suppose it depends a lot on what you're going for.
Re: Voices 08/09/2010 07:07 PM CDT
I think you should be able to choose between a list of voice types that have been selected from your race and profession?

I don't have the time to make out a list but I hope you get the idea.

- Terra
Raesh gives Terra wings. And then rips them off and beats her with them.