Selkies 08/16/2009 09:55 AM CDT
So.. my memory is a little bit fuzzy. There are the selkies on Ratha, in with the merrows and they are a fairly harmless fae creature. I brought my shintu down there, underwater and attempted to play a song for them, but they didn't seem interested. I tried a basic (quiet) version of every play style, unless I accidentally missed one.

Isn't something supposed to happen? Can't you sing to the selkies or something and interact with them? Or am I just crazy and making this all up?

How does this work? I know I was thinking there was something you could do with them, but I can't seem to figure it out. I'd appreciate any insight. If you don't want to post it here on the boards, feel free to e-mail me at my play.net address. Thank you!

- Terra
Re: Selkies 08/16/2009 10:30 AM CDT
Its a different command from the rest of the instrument playing. I want to say, play shintu for/to selkie. Something like that.

~Eoworfinia~
Marge, it takes two to lie. One to lie and one to listen. Homer Simpson

Get the facts first and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain
Re: Selkies 08/16/2009 07:01 PM CDT
I have tried so many combinations and different syntax options and every single time, I get this:

A selkie doesn't appear interested in your playing.

Thanks for trying to help Eoworfinia, does anyone else know anything about these things?

- Terra
Re: Selkies 08/16/2009 07:31 PM CDT
Okay, found this post from 2007 and Dart:

http://www.play.net/forums/messages.asp?forum=20&category=21&topic=4&message=2033

>I've made a bug fix to the core instrument system to allow coral shintu to work as intended. They will now work with the new play like any other instrument, providing you are playing them in the correct environmental setting.

>The special ability associated with coral shintu should now work again as well, although the syntax for that ability is PLAY SHINTU GENTLE just like it used to be. At some point I may update the shintu mechs to the newer format, but that is a much larger job. The current bug fix should at least restore full functionality for the time being.

>- GM Dartenian

After reading it, that reminded me that it is play shintu gentle for selkie. Try that!

~Eoworfinia~

Get the facts first and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain
Re: Selkies 08/16/2009 08:26 PM CDT
Added the syntax to the Selkie page on elanthipedia so it doesn't get lost again :D

__
Join us in sharing information!
http://community.livejournal.com/drbookoftales/
View my RPnerderiffic IC journal here!
http://ysselt-dr.livejournal.com/

It will cost you 248 TDPs to raise your Charisma from 99 to 100
Re: Selkies 08/16/2009 10:04 PM CDT
Awesome! Thank you, I will let you know how it goes when I get home.

I appreciate you looking that up Eoworfinia and Ysselt your ninja Wiki Updates!

- Terra
Re: Selkies 08/17/2009 12:18 AM CDT
Woohoo, thanks!

That was definitely it.

PLAY SHINTU GENTLE FOR SELKIE
>play shintu gentle for selkie
Lifting your coral shintu to your lips, you begin to play a sweet, sonorous melody that flows about the area like the gentle movement of the tides.
>
Almost inaudibly, the selkie begins a lullaby that wraps the area in a peaceful calm.

Almost inaudibly, the selkie begins a lullaby that wraps the area in a peaceful calm.
You continue to play upon your coral shintu, its soft, sweet music filling the air.

- Terra
Re: Selkies 08/17/2009 09:13 AM CDT
Anytime. The Selkies hold a special spot in my memories. Can't believe I had forgotten that keyword to start with! Thanks for adding it on the site Ysselt and glad you finally got to use it Terra!

~Eoworfinia~