Please change this 07/13/2009 08:02 AM CDT
> stop sing

...wait 2 seconds.

I think we should be able to stop singing during roundtimes. You're mostly just vocalizing and releasing magic through your song. To simply stop letting your breath and magic out from your mouth doesn't take more than a brainwave of effort.

Make-believe example: Bard prepares to slaughter a thief with his enchante (pretending we have ones that are effective) but decides to finish his last fold of origami while it builds up. During those five seconds, the thief grovels apologies and the bard has a change of heart. But alas, his origami has his attention so enraptured that he can't stop the flow of music from blasting the thief away.

Not right, I say. Who else offers agreement, do it please ya?
Re: Please change this 07/13/2009 10:39 AM CDT
/sign

---
"Close your eyes -
For your eyes will only tell the truth..
And the truth isn't what you want to see.
In the dark, it is easy to pretend
That the truth is what it ought to be." - Erik Claudin
Re: Please change this 07/13/2009 03:10 PM CDT
> > stop sing

The problem is that this is a limitation of the STOP verb itself. While we can certainly argue that it should be possible to stop singing during roundtime, that is not the only thing out there that the STOP verb applies to. The verb is either usable during roundtime, or it is not (on/off toggle). While I could bypass the normal toggle, that would require rewriting the entire verb and all the systems it can stop to account for individual roundtime checks, and that's not gonna happen anytime soon. :-P

- GM Dartenian

If you think you can do a thing or think you can't do a thing, you're right. - Henry Ford
Re: Please change this 07/13/2009 03:15 PM CDT
>>The verb is either usable during roundtime, or it is not (on/off toggle).

Umm...really? Do you mean specifically the Stop Verb, or Verbs in general, because:

R>asse tea
...wait 4 seconds.
R>asse
R>
You assess your combat situation...
R>asse tea
...wait 3 seconds.

And I know that was changed at some point because I used to be able to asses teach in roundtime and stack it.

-TG, TG, GL, et al.
Re: Please change this 07/13/2009 03:30 PM CDT
>Do you mean specifically the Stop Verb, or Verbs in general, because:

Verbs in general. Assess and stance are both ones that have been specifically changed to have different functions in Roundtime based on what else you have on the line.

Elemancer Opieus, Warrior Mage of Elanthia
I blame Bubba:
http://the-emu.mybrute.com
Re: Please change this 07/13/2009 03:42 PM CDT
> And I know that was changed at some point because I used to be able to asses teach in roundtime and stack it.

Verbs in general. Assess was originally combat specific, so they had it set up to be usable in roundtime. They had to manually insert roundtime checks for the newer options like Assess Teach. I could do the same with STOP, but it would require manually adding a roundtime check for all the stop options except singing. I'm not saying it won't happen, but it's not even remotely a high priority and requires updating all other stop options, not just tweaking stop singing.

- GM Dartenian

If you think you can do a thing or think you can't do a thing, you're right. - Henry Ford
Re: Please change this 07/13/2009 03:55 PM CDT
Considering all the other things affected by stop, I'm not sure why ANY of them have a restriction on not being done in RT:

STOP SING/PLAY/CHANT
STOP TEACH <PERSON>
STOP LISTEN
STOP STALK
STOP CLIMB

-TG, TG, GL, et al.
Re: Please change this 07/13/2009 04:02 PM CDT
Are there any situations where you shouldn't be able to use any of the stop commands in RT anyways? Just let them all be done in RT.

- George, Player of Foresee
Re: Please change this 07/13/2009 06:37 PM CDT
Would it be possible to use a different verb?

I realize that STOP is the most logical verb to use, but if the limitations of the verb itself are the only thing preventing us from being able to stop singing mid-RT (i.e. the concept is approvable), can't we fudge it over for playability's sake?

GENT
Re: Please change this 07/14/2009 12:38 AM CDT
>> STOP CLIMB

Pls add 10% chance to fall over and 1% chance to get stunned by this. PLS.

---
"Close your eyes -
For your eyes will only tell the truth..
And the truth isn't what you want to see.
In the dark, it is easy to pretend
That the truth is what it ought to be." - Erik Claudin
Re: Please change this 08/05/2009 03:16 PM CDT
/enchante stop

You stop vocalizing the power of your enchante.

Ding ding we have a winner? You can do it Dart. <3