PLAY oddity 05/07/2009 10:41 PM CDT
I'm not sure this is a bug, but it seems wierd to me. I just came from a hunt and was waiting in line at the auto-healer so I pulled out my bagpipes to pass the time. Since I'd just come from the hunt, my mojo was not at 100%. The first round I had slight difficulty. The second round after doing exactly nothing but play the bagpipes, I fumbled slightly. Unless I'm mistaken, at the very least it should have remained the same level? Possibly have even improved since my mojo was being restored. How did my skill drop in the course of playing one song? Below is the log minus the EXP commands and auto-healer messaging.

-Evran

R>get bag
You get some bagpipes with a plaid bag and polished ebony pipes from inside your instrument case.
>play folk mast
>
Taking a deep breath, you begin to play your ebony bagpipes. A low, steady drone fills the air.
The armor on your head make playing your ebony bagpipes more difficult.
You begin a masterful folk song on your ebony bagpipes with only the slightest hint of difficulty.
>
Your ebony bagpipes continue their melancholy drone.
>
You continue playing on your ebony bagpipes.
>
You continue to play a masterful folk song on your ebony bagpipes, stumbling only a little through a difficult section.
>
>
>
You continue to play a masterful folk song on your ebony bagpipes, stumbling only a little through a difficult section.
>
>
>
You concentrate on your technique as you continue to perform a masterful folk song on your ebony bagpipes.
>
>

The steady drone of bagpipes finally fade away, leaving blessed silence.
>
play folk mast

You're already playing a song! You'll need to stop that one first.
>You finish playing a masterful folk song on your ebony bagpipes.
>
play folk mast

Taking a deep breath, you begin to play your ebony bagpipes. A low, steady drone fills the air.
You fumble slightly as you begin a masterful folk song on your ebony bagpipes.

Crackling with unspent rage since 386AV.
Re: PLAY oddity 05/07/2009 10:44 PM CDT
Not playing a bard, I wouldn't know, but is it possible the penalty for the armor isn't always the same? Could it be different each time you play?

-TG, TG, & GL, et al.
Re: PLAY oddity 05/07/2009 10:56 PM CDT
<<Not playing a bard, I wouldn't know, but is it possible the penalty for the armor isn't always the same? Could it be different each time you play?

I was just thinking that myself. I thought it was just a static increase in difficulty, but there might be a random check to it. Testing...

-Evran

Re: PLAY oddity 05/07/2009 11:10 PM CDT
Okay, I don't think its a random check.

Every time I PLAY FOLK MAST on the bagpipes for the first time after not playing them for a while (about 5 roisaen) I have slight difficulty. Every attempt after that point is fumbling slightly. I've gone so far as to stop and start playing 200 times in a row, the first is always slight difficulty and the rest fumbling.

It just seems strange. If it were a random check, you'd think the slight difficulty would appear anywhere else but the first one only. This is very duplicatable.

-Evran

Re: PLAY oddity 05/07/2009 11:20 PM CDT
Scars might hinder you more than fresh wounds.
Re: PLAY oddity 05/07/2009 11:22 PM CDT
<<Scars might hinder you more than fresh wounds

I wasn't being healed, I was waiting to be healed. Also, I am able to duplicate the test fully healed.

-Evran

Re: PLAY oddity 05/07/2009 11:39 PM CDT
Sorry for the ton of posts, but I've narrowed it down a bit. It's definitely related to the armour in some way. Playing without my helm I get this:

>rem helm
You take a visored chain helm off your head.
>stow left
You put your helm in your armored pack.
>stop play
play folk mast
But you're not performing anything!
>Taking a deep breath, you begin to play your ebony bagpipes. A low, steady drone fills the air.
You begin a masterful folk song on your ebony bagpipes with only the slightest hint of difficulty.
>stop play
play folk mast
You stop playing your song.
>Taking a deep breath, you begin to play your ebony bagpipes. A low, steady drone fills the air.
>stop play
play folk mast
>stop play
play folk mast
>
and so on....

Putting the helm back on gives this:

>get my helm
You get a visored chain helm from inside your armored pack.
>wear helm
You put a visored chain helm on your head.
>stop play
play folk mast
>stop play
play folk mast
>You stop playing your song.
>
>stop play
play folk mast
>
>stop play
play folk mast
and so on...

I can duplicate this everytime with no waiting in between trials. With the armour on the first one is always played better than the rest.

I can also duplicate this on other instruments and skills like so:

>get glo
You get some superior blight-ogre gloves from inside your armored pack.
>wear glo
You slip some superior blight-ogre gloves onto your hands.
>stop play
play psalm mast
>The armor on your hands make playing your lyre more difficult.
You begin a masterful psalm on your lyre with only the slightest hint of difficulty.
>stop play
play psalm mast
You fumble slightly as you begin a masterful psalm on your lyre.
>stop play
play psalm mast
>
The armor on your hands make playing your lyre more difficult.
>stop play
play psalm mast
>
and so on...

I only get the messaging difference when I'm near a break-point song and mood, but I'm guessing that the oddness is still there in terms of raw data for all cases. It just doesn't show up to us because the messaging covers a range of values.

-Evran