Singing 05/22/2004 08:18 PM CDT
Was just thinking while I was trying to write up some songs for my jukebox thing over here, we dont have a sing quickly emote. Noticed we had slowly so I was wondering we dont have a quick or fast.
Singing 02/08/2006 07:50 PM CST
Rather than allowing all bards automatically able to sing in soprano etc. and chorus, how about making it vocal skill based? and open to all classes? Bards won't really lose much since not many non-bards spend much time singing, it creates incentives to traing vocals other than to meet circling requirements, and bards are still gods in handling swarms.

Compared to all other instruments vocals really is the most "boring" to train in terms of not having anything new, while others grant access to new instruments and better descriptions.

Side question: I don't know if the current vocals does this already, but I haven't noticed it with my non-bard.. do more ranks in vocals allow longer verses and more lines per singing attempt?

Almost immediately, you grow dizzy, tottering from side to side until finally collapsing to the ground, dead asleep.
You drop your iron trunk.
Roundtime: 7 seconds.

>awaken
You can't do that while you are asleep.
Singing for all? 07/03/2006 09:24 AM CDT
I must have missed the post that details this... but imagine my shock as I walk around to find a moonmage singing softly and wistfully.

Since when does everyone have the ability to sing with emotes that were supposedly "bard only"?

Kat
Re: Singing for all? 07/03/2006 09:39 AM CDT
As far as I know, the sing emotes have always been available to everyone.

The hum and whistle emotes are bard only.

~Azimee

~~~
If you find yourself confronted by a group of armed guards, be warned that they will attack you in mass. No matter what you have been told by other sources, rest assured that they will not line up to attack you one by one. ~Handbook of Practical Heroics
Re: Singing for all? 07/03/2006 09:52 AM CDT
Well, I thought that singing was available to all, but emotes were bard only at least at some point.

But I could be having a memory lapse too.
Re: Singing for all? 07/03/2006 09:59 AM CDT
<<Well, I thought that singing was available to all, but emotes were bard only at least at some point.>>

Nope, because the SING emotes are just the SAY emotes without the / before them. It's the same list, and as I recall has always been open to everyone since day one. What makes Bards special is the tone of their voice, like tenor or soprano, which the rest of us don't get (unless I am greatly mistaken).

~*'Siharhh Oloh'Irhhnth of the Ru'atin Peri'el'*~
Re: Singing for all? 07/03/2006 10:03 AM CDT
Speaking of voice range... I wonder how complicated it would be to have a trigger on the sing command when it is rewritten, allowing bards to NOT sing so expertly (to get rid of the vocal range so as to masquerade as non-Bards). =)

-r
Re: Singing for all? 07/03/2006 10:08 AM CDT
>Nope, because the SING emotes are just the SAY emotes without the / before them.

When I first started playing DR, the SAY emotes didn't have the / in front of them either. When I switched to plat, they did... and it was implemented in prime shortly after. I suspect I switched to plat about the time they were testing it out <g> But it made for some confusion at first, since I didn't realize it was different.

I think Dart is planning something similar with the SING emotes, since the way it's currently set up we're somewhat restricted as to which words we can start a verse with. Starting a verse with an emote word or an enchante keyword or a song scroll keyword can give us some very odd results :)

~Azimee

~~~
If you find yourself confronted by a group of armed guards, be warned that they will attack you in mass. No matter what you have been told by other sources, rest assured that they will not line up to attack you one by one. ~Handbook of Practical Heroics
Re: Singing for all? 07/03/2006 01:00 PM CDT
Okies then... color me with a brain lapse. ;-P
Re: Singing for all? 07/03/2006 04:50 PM CDT
If I want to start a verse with a word that registers as one of the emotes I just put an apostrophe in front of it. It's not exactly the best solution but it gets the job done and doesn't look too terribly ridiculous.

~Minstrel Ascot, Song Weaver of M'riss
Re: Singing for all? 07/03/2006 08:42 PM CDT
<<If I want to start a verse with a word that registers as one of the emotes I just put an apostrophe in front of it. It's not exactly the best solution but it gets the job done and doesn't look too terribly ridiculous.>>

Nice idea. My way around it is that I emote every verse I sing.

~*'Siharhh Oloh'Irhhnth of the Ru'atin Peri'el'*~
Singing in Languages 08/27/2008 08:01 PM CDT
When we sing songs we revert to the common language. We should be able to sing in our own languages. I would also like to be able to sing enchantes in native languages.

mfberg
Re: Singing in Languages 08/27/2008 09:58 PM CDT
It's a lot of work- But a few people have in fact written songs in languages besides common. Some then offer to perform the translation.

Sometimes the key to happiness is not assuming it is locked in the first place- Ziggy

A journey of a thousand SMILES begins with a single step- Ziggy
Re: Singing in Languages 08/28/2008 04:28 PM CDT
Since enchantes are set songs, I doubt you'll see singing them in a racial language - if you want to sing, for instance, Stairway to Heaven, you'd need to translate it yourself, or sing the original English (in other words, singing an enchante would be like singing a scroll song. They're written in Common, so you learn the Common. You'd need to translate the lyrics yourself if you want to sing them in Ilithic, or Gerenshuge, or Prydaen, or whatever).

As far as singing using the sing command, I'm not sure what it would take, but you do realize it would be the same as speaking in a racial language - everyone of your race would see the words, those not of your race would see "Vaeldriil sings something in Gerenshuge".

As I said, not sure what the do-ability is, as I've not peeked into sing. But hey, I can take a peek.

-V.

"Reject me not, sweet sounds! oh, let me live,
Till doom espy my towers and scatter them.
A city spell-bound under the aging sun,
Music my rampart, and my only one."
-Edna St. Vincent-Millay