Instruments and Weather 12/04/2013 06:54 PM CST
Are there any instruments that can be played in weather without becoming damaged or requiring repairs?

"I only automatically kill players when they're asking for it or it's funny. Or both." ~GM Raesh
Re: Instruments and Weather 12/04/2013 08:30 PM CST
Yes. Off the top of my head, I believe the stamping stick and whiskey jug (from Hib) are both weatherproof, as are some instruments made of crystal/metal, such as certain fifes/flutes and spoons.

I'm not 100% certain of these because I haven't tested them myself. I believe that you'll still see water accumulate on them, it simply won't damage them.

Also, you can get an umbrella and hold it -- it only works in one hand, though I forget which (right?). That will protect any instrument you're holding in the other hand (though it must be a one-handed instrument for you to play it this way).

-- Player of Eyuve
Re: Instruments and Weather 12/05/2013 04:58 AM CST
Awesome! A whisky jug will fit nicely with my character.

"I only automatically kill players when they're asking for it or it's funny. Or both." ~GM Raesh
Re: Instruments and Weather 12/05/2013 12:17 PM CST
Zills ... which a youngster (only) can pick up from the roving Riverhaven guy. You've got to be under circle 10 or something to buy from him. There were also Zills for sale at the Fest in the Dark Symphony shop.

Spoons, from the Ratha Luthier.

~D
- - -
~Dreamheart Delaevan Forestwolf
Broken Bard since January 19, 2013 - 2 Dolefaren 407
Re: Instruments and Weather 12/06/2013 10:25 AM CST
Are there stringed instrument that was weather proof? I don't think so (it's go to be pretty difficult to produce something like that), but for completion sake, I've always liked to see one.

Nikpack
Re: Instruments and Weather 12/06/2013 10:46 AM CST
> Are there stringed instrument that was weather proof?

No. But elanthia has metal strings; conceivably an instrument that used those could be weather-proofed.
Re: Instruments and Weather 12/06/2013 02:36 PM CST
wtb saw playing. That's weather-proof right?

Nikpack
Re: Instruments and Weather 12/06/2013 05:41 PM CST
>wtb saw playing. That's weather-proof right?

Kinda. Sorta.

In DR probably, since an instrument bow doesn't take weather damage. At least, I've never noticed it. But, IRL rain would be really bad for an instrument bow since most are made from wood after all and would warp if left in a wet state.

You must be wearing the dried fishskin in order to eat it.
Re: Instruments and Weather 12/07/2013 01:35 AM CST
Long before you had to worry about wood warping on a bow in the weather, you'd have to worry about the almost INSTANT disaster happening on the bowhairs...

- - -
~Dreamheart Delaevan Forestwolf
Broken Bard since January 19, 2013 - 2 Dolefaren 407
Re: Instruments and Weather 09/30/2015 09:57 PM CDT

I have an assortment of flutes and piccolo's that are waterproof as well as a few crystal whistles laying about somewhere if you're in need. send me a pigeon to javi78503