Castanets 02/12/2011 12:41 AM CST
Before I go haring off to Aesry, are castanets playable using only one hand?
Re: Castanets 02/12/2011 12:44 AM CST
95% sure thats a yes. Zills are one-handed and are just a cymbal version of castanets.

-Evran

Gay, geeky, and a little bit cheeky.
Re: Castanets 02/12/2011 09:21 AM CST
And if you don't mind zills instead of castanets, I've got a set that I never use that you're welcome to have.
Re: Castanets 02/12/2011 12:54 PM CST
> And if you don't mind zills instead of castanets, I've got a set that I never use that you're welcome to have.

Thanks, but I'm shopping because my bones have gotten too easy, and according to Elanthipedia, zills are easier than bones.
Re: Castanets 02/12/2011 02:29 PM CST
I had thought I had read that all instruments have equivalent difficulty now and that the different difficulties were currently obsolete.
Re: Castanets 02/12/2011 02:33 PM CST
>play concerto masterful
Taking a deep breath, you begin to play your cherry bagpipes. A low, steady drone fills the air.
You fumble slightly as you begin a masterful concerto on your cherry bagpipes.

>play concerto masterful
You begin a masterful concerto on your silver txistu with only the slightest hint of difficulty.

Definitely a difficulty difference.
Re: Castanets 02/13/2011 12:28 AM CST
Difficulty differences are still there but the ranges are greatly expanded so instruments will train a huge number of ranks and there's lots of overlap even between the easiest and hardest instruments.

-Evran

Re: Castanets 02/14/2011 12:08 PM CST
I know several of us did a lot of testing with instruments years ago (like 2002 or something) I'd be interested in testing them again to see how the difficulty scales...I don't see a lot of difference in my main instruments but then I use a set of Zills, a Lyra Viol and a Txistu. Plus my utility spoons for drums and such.
Re: Castanets 02/14/2011 08:04 PM CST
Those ones are all at or near the low end of the difficulty scale, except maybe the lyra viol (I don't know anything about that one) so you won't see much difference given similar skills.

-Evran

Re: Castanets 02/14/2011 11:06 PM CST
It is funny then, all of them are teaching me no problem into the 200's... is it just higher ranks where I might notice a difference?
Re: Castanets 02/14/2011 11:54 PM CST
That's the huge teaching range I mentioned before. Even the easiest instruments will teach for 100's of ranks because of song type and moods. The hardest instruments start teaching well at 300ish ranks so there's overlap for a couple hundred ranks.

I.e. the single biggest factor for learning is song and mood. Instrument is only a factor at low or high ranks when there's several instruments that are too hard or too easy, respectively.

-Evran