Item Bonding 01/25/2010 09:39 PM CST
I'm curious, does the item bonding change have an impact on sentient instruments? I know we were waiting on some things with creation/bonding to change before instrument bonding and sentience were to be turned back on/re-released.

Or are we still waiting until the lore rewrite is one before instrument bonding is turned back on.

- Terra
Re: Item Bonding 01/26/2010 01:19 AM CST
I'm still completely in the dark as to what instrument bonding and sentience were supposed to do exactly. Anyone able to fill me in? It's one of those things I never really quite understood the intent of.

-=Issus=-
Re: Item Bonding 01/26/2010 08:17 AM CST
Hopefully someone with a better memory will chime in because I might be wrong.

I think there is a reason you never quite understood the intent and that is the play and find out issue bundled up with the incompleteness of the system. You can make all the assumptions you want about what bonding and sentience might have meant for us, personally I always felt that instruments would be able to play enchantes for us and just be generally "helpful", but as to what it really was, I don't believe that was ever common knowledge.

~Jycanth
Re: Item Bonding 01/26/2010 11:58 AM CST
I believe if you had fully bonded to an instrument before they were rewritten, you are still bonded to that instrument.

It doesn't do anything mechanically, and never did, except for some special messaging. I might be fuzzy on this, it's been a LONG time.

Sentience was suppose to be a very special bond with an instrument that would provide useful mechanical benefits to the Bard, like item bonding, bonuses, etc. It hasn't been discussed in earnest since it was taken away.

GENT
Re: Item Bonding 01/26/2010 12:59 PM CST
>>It doesn't do anything mechanically, and never did, except for some special messaging.

It returns the instrument to your hand if you die while holding it. (This still works.)

-- Player of Niieth
Re: Item Bonding 01/26/2010 01:52 PM CST
>>...since it was taken away.

I may be misremembering, but as I recall it the only change was that they turned bonding messaging off, since it wasn't going to be useful in the foreseeable future. The way that read to me, you can still bond to your instrument - you'd just never know unless you died while holding it. Although with Dart's change to instrument cleanliness a while back, the path to bonding is essentially stopped in its tracks.

Here's hoping that, whenever it does come back, it's an important, useful, and voluntary process.

Killing you softly with his song,
- Stormsinger Shavay

Faerie tales do not tell children that dragons exist. Children already know dragons exist. Faerie tales tell children that dragons can be killed.
- G.K. Chesterton
Re: Item Bonding 01/26/2010 03:32 PM CST
<<and voluntary process

Ha! Yeah, I remember that minor issue. Inadvertently bonding with other people's instruments just because you cleaned it for them was annoying.

~Jycanth
Re: Item Bonding 01/26/2010 03:36 PM CST
Hm. Interesting. I'll have to see if bonding is still happening. Not sure if it's the same in TF as in Prime, but we'll give it a whirl.

GENT
Re: Item Bonding 01/28/2010 10:29 PM CST
And the lore surrounding it is...well, interesting. The guild making deals with the Nomads to infuse souls of the dead into instruments is quite different from the bonding experience I remember, but lore is funny that way sometimes.
Re: Item Bonding 01/28/2010 10:33 PM CST
Where on earth did you read that?

-=Issus=-
Re: Item Bonding 01/28/2010 10:38 PM CST
Enchante Journals Volume III.
Re: Item Bonding 01/28/2010 11:17 PM CST
>>Enchante Journals Volume III.

I thought I was the only one who read and loved those.

Those books are amazing and I want to marry whoever wrote them. I always incorporate them into my lore lessons somehow.

- Terra
Re: Item Bonding 01/29/2010 12:48 AM CST
Wow, just read that and... I'm actually pretty surprised. I wasn't expecting them to have much backstory. Though I've never really known what a sentient instrument would be able to do or what benefit it can offer, it's interesting to see that somewhere along the line they were getting consideration. I really thought the whole notion had died out long before Muspari ever came about.

-=Issus=-
Re: Item Bonding 01/29/2010 07:26 AM CST
Yeah, the enchante journals are really cool. I wish all guilds had books like that. I was hoping to see something, anything with some of the more interesting tidbits surrounding our guild. I think Bard's have a lot of potentional for big storylines and interesting drama.

I'd love to see more regarding:
- Karovaas
- The Naga
- Sentinels
- Sentient Instruments
- Order of Kalodi
- Songsworn
- those bardic swords which may or may not be player created. I forget what they're called, Truesong and Darksong maybe? Very cool

- Terra
Re: Item Bonding 01/29/2010 03:14 PM CST
>- Sentinels

Are ostensibly tortuously close to finished.

"Magic has rules and so does posting on these forums." -Annwyl
Re: Item Bonding 01/31/2010 01:01 PM CST
What my note was about, am going through all the old lore and trying to find as much info as possible on them from players an GL's. Some really interesting groups that maybe in the future Bards might actually be able to join.
Re: Item Bonding 02/01/2010 05:52 PM CST
>> Terra's list

I swear we are kindred spirits-in-lore.

The only addition I'd love to see to more of:
- Information on the role(s) of Court Bard. I have a feeling that there is all sorts of lovely crossover into the political/spying/etc... there, as well as fun ties into trader type activities via everyone's favorite thing: lawyers.

People hate screams, we ought to create IC lawsuits (class action!) and really make people loathe Lore-fu :)

The Moose
"My advice? Run to a safe room, then re-roll. It's guaranteed awesome."
Re: Item Bonding 02/01/2010 06:04 PM CST
>People hate screams, we ought to create IC lawsuits (class action!) and really make people loathe Lore-fu :)

Some sort of Scholarship vs Scholarship contest modified by Intelligence and Charisma? Loser pays the winner 100 plat in damages. :)
Re: Item Bonding 02/04/2010 02:36 AM CST
>>>- Sentinels

>>>Are ostensibly tortuously close to finished.

Closer than I've ever seen 'em.

-V.

"Reject me not, sweet sounds! oh, let me live,
Till doom espy my towers and scatter them.
A city spell-bound under the aging sun,
Music my rampart, and my only one."
-Edna St. Vincent-Millay
Re: Item Bonding 02/04/2010 10:12 AM CST
And I know some have waited longer than me for them to open! Let's see I'm up to 6 years waiting, I think it is. Brings back memories of camping out at the Sentinels, waiting on Karovaas to come back out of them just to be killed. Oh and tarts being delivered by shoot, what was his name, Yadrel, something like that then getting teased with a tart cart driving by. Let's see, I think I was circle 30 then.

I can't wait!

~Eoworfinia~
Marge, it takes two to lie. One to lie and one to listen. Homer Simpson

Get the facts first and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain
Re: Item Bonding 02/04/2010 05:33 PM CST
Good times. Hopefully they will open -- soon. Heh.