Instruments, Damage and Repair 06/25/2009 11:01 PM CDT
I'm fairly new at being a bard. I know you can repair damaged instruments, but does that include damage caused by weather? Also can any instrument get damaged beyond repair?
Re: Instruments, Damage and Repair 06/26/2009 12:12 AM CDT
>>I know you can repair damaged instruments, but does that include damage caused by weather? Also can any instrument get damaged beyond repair?

Yes and yes.

When you get an instrument, you'll want to get a cleaning cloth or rag. You can use it to dry instruments as well as clean them.

To dry your instrument, you Wipe <instrument> with <cloth/rag>. You'll want to wring your cloth afterwards to get the water out.

To clean, you Clean <instrument> with <cloth/rag>.

Welcome to the bards!

Sometimes the key to happiness is not assuming it is locked in the first place- Ziggy

A journey of a thousand SMILES begins with a single step- Ziggy
Re: Instruments, Damage and Repair 06/26/2009 12:26 AM CDT
Shoot, ok, I was hoping that no matter how damaged an instrument can get it could somehow be repaired/rebuilt. I bought a txistu, the second one in my DR life. I remember that my first one was destroyed by wearing it out in the weather.
Re: Instruments, Damage and Repair 06/26/2009 02:18 AM CDT
Some instruments are not affected by adverse weather. Check the material it's made of.
Re: Instruments, Damage and Repair 06/26/2009 09:02 AM CDT
Well, metal can rust. Wood can warp. What does that leave? Plastic? Come on somebody, invent plastics! Honestly I thought all weapons regardless of the primitive materials were subject to the weather.
Re: Instruments, Damage and Repair 06/26/2009 09:07 AM CDT
There is crystal. Water-proof or not sometimes shows up in the- I forget if it's the appraisal or instrument assess.

Sometimes the key to happiness is not assuming it is locked in the first place- Ziggy

Re: Instruments, Damage and Repair 06/26/2009 09:08 AM CDT
Oh yes, and if the instrument is too damaged to repair it generally goes Poof. Otherwise you can fix it.

Re: Instruments, Damage and Repair 06/26/2009 11:14 AM CDT
I'm assuming mech lore is needed to make repairs? How much skill is needed before you can do repairs? I'm assuming a new bard isn't skilled enough to know much about repairing instruments.
Re: Instruments, Damage and Repair 06/26/2009 11:23 AM CDT
>>I'm assuming mech lore is needed to make repairs? How much skill is needed before you can do repairs? I'm assuming a new bard isn't skilled enough to know much about repairing instruments.

Mech lore does help. I really don't know how much is actually needed: My prime bard was somewhere over circle 5 before she made her first repair, and a lot has changed since then.

I suppose I ought to dust off my TF bard and check: He's pretty newbie-ish.

Re: Instruments, Damage and Repair 06/26/2009 01:53 PM CDT
The silver txistu hasn't rusted on me and I am prone to wearing mine in all weathers. I use a stamping stick from Hib that is also weather resistant due to its alloy material. The whiskey jug is a good wind instrument for all types of weather as well, I mean the jug was used to hold liquid in it to start with! hehe

~Eoworfinia~
I passed through the seven levels of the Candy Cane forest, through the sea of swirly twirly gum drops, and then I walked through the Lincoln Tunnel.
Re: Instruments, Damage and Repair 06/30/2009 08:52 PM CDT
If it hasn't been mentioned, smallish harps can be played with a single hand, and small to surprisingly large harps can be played while being worn with a strap.
Re: Instruments, Damage and Repair 08/27/2009 07:34 PM CDT
Bards, I need your expertise! I have a set of bagpipes that are warped and cracked and all that bad stuff. Any help on how to repair it? I have a repair kit and cloth I got from the store I bought the bagpipes at, but I have no clue what to do with it..

;_;
Re: Instruments, Damage and Repair 08/27/2009 07:43 PM CDT
I dug up "fix <instrument> with my kit". Hopefully that should be correct.
Re: Instruments, Damage and Repair 08/27/2009 07:59 PM CDT
I believe REPAIR BAGPIPES should work as well.

or you can find me in game and I'll repair them for you.

- Terra
Re: Instruments, Damage and Repair 08/27/2009 11:35 PM CDT
Both commands seem to work. Thanks so much for your responses!