Cambrinth Instruments. 06/11/2007 02:58 AM CDT
Is cambrinth instruments doable, or is it hard to code the magical property into the ability to play them. If so I'd love to have a few. Just was sitting trying to train Magic devices while playing a magical song on my instrument and realized while I stink at Magic Device a big reason why is because normally what I have in my hand while using magic isn't cam until i can charge with one hand, and worn.

Anyways just and Idea.

Discord Scythe Nyren
Re: Cambrinth Instruments. 06/11/2007 01:54 PM CDT
Having cambrinth spoons would soooo make drums of the snake more fun. And a cambrinth ocarina for Nexus, to give that extra jolt to get started in crappy mana rooms.

X

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well
preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate and martini in hand, body thoroughly worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
Re: Cambrinth Instruments. 06/11/2007 04:03 PM CDT
cambrinth being the main ingredient, probably a definite no just like is the case with weapons and armor. Instruments with certain accentuous components fashioned of cambrinth (ie, cambrinth frets, cambrinth mouthpieces, cambrinth levers, etc), probably a yes assuming instruments aren't totally weirded up where they'd have to be rewritten.

J'Lo, I'm a ranger.. I'd believe anything.....
The Manipulation List -- http://symphaena.com/index.html
Re: Cambrinth Instruments. 06/11/2007 04:14 PM CDT
>>cambrinth being the main ingredient, probably a definite no just like is the case with weapons and armor.

The reason for cambrinth not being a main ingredient in armor and weapons is it's not strong enough to survive the damage that is done to it. The GMs said you COULD have a cambrinth weapon but it would break on the first parry so what's the point. So a precussion instrument wouldn't likely be made of cambrinth but these restrictions wouldn't effect woodwinds or strings, although I'm not sure how it would sound, there's not too many instruments made out of minerals are there?

Jaedren says, "Alas, no Khri Ronco (Set it and forget it!). Woe."
Re: Cambrinth Instruments. 06/11/2007 04:24 PM CDT
>>The reason for cambrinth not being a main ingredient in armor and weapons is it's not strong enough to survive the damage that is done to it.

It wasn't the strength, it was the brittleness. Cambrinth would shatter like tempered glass the first time you smacked/got smacked by anything with it. That same brittleness might affect the sound (tinny speakers, or perhaps just an altered sound or no sound at all), or worse, the sound might affect the instrument (resonance). I'm not sure it wouldn't survive a DROP, but having an instrument shatter in your hands because of certain notes you played wouldn't be a very useful quality.

J'Lo, I'm a ranger.. I'd believe anything.....
The Manipulation List -- http://symphaena.com/index.html
Re: Cambrinth Instruments. 06/11/2007 07:42 PM CDT
I have a cambrinth pick, not much charge to it, 4 if I remember right, but there ya go...

Anyway learning MD isn't that hard just throw one or two in between each inst type you play. It's worked wonders for me ever since I learned about CJs and wanting to get the maximum use from them, about 250 MD

Me 'n the Bard
Re: Cambrinth Instruments. 06/11/2007 08:07 PM CDT
Here's mine... someone won it a while back in a raffle in plat, and traded it to me. I don't recall offhand how much it holds - I'd have to dig it out of my vault to check.

a polished fiddle with cambrinth pegs

I don't think an instrument could be made entirely out of cambrinth, but it can certainly have some parts or embellishments of cambrinth.

~Azimee

~~~
If you find yourself confronted by a group of armed guards, be warned that they will attack you in mass. No matter what you have been told by other sources, rest assured that they will not line up to attack you one by one. ~Handbook of Practical Heroics
Re: Cambrinth Instruments. 06/11/2007 08:42 PM CDT
>>It wasn't the strength, it was the brittleness.

Semantics, you knew exactly what I was talking about

Jaedren says, "Alas, no Khri Ronco (Set it and forget it!). Woe."