Instrument Ideas 10/07/2006 10:51 AM CDT
A few instrument ideas that may (most like) or may not have been discussed before:

Bull Roarer
String with a shaped piece of wood or stone attached to it that you whip around your head. As the air passes over the piece of wood it vibrates, producing sounds. Would be a percussion instrument, very difficult to play (at least it was when I tried it!)

Lion's Roar
Essentially a drum with a string attached to the open end, which is bowed to make some eerie roar-like sounds. Pretty simple instrument to play, could use it to enhance illusions like AEWO?

Berimbau
It's a long stick with a wire attached to a gourd resonator. Technically a percussion instrument, but for here I think stringed makes more sense.

Accordian
I guess a wind instrument, similar to how the bagpipes are set up. Might be too modern for DR though?

GENT
Re: Instrument Ideas 10/07/2006 11:54 AM CDT
Accordian, bullroarer, and glass array are all on the current to-do list, although not the highest priority right now. There's at least one often-requested instrument not mentioned also on that list.

- GM Dartenian

"You ain't seen nothin' yet!" - Al Jolson

LiveJournal: http://www.livejournal.com/users/dartenian/
Re: Instrument Ideas 10/07/2006 12:46 PM CDT
Sweet!

I can't wait to see a bull roarer, they are lots of fun to play with!

GENT
Re: Instrument Ideas 10/07/2006 01:21 PM CDT
>Accordian, bullroarer, and glass array are all on the current to-do list, although not the highest priority right now. There's at least one often-requested instrument not mentioned also on that list

Sackbut?

Re: Instrument Ideas 10/07/2006 02:07 PM CDT
An accordian is as difficult to place as a piano.. A user doesn't use their breath, so it shouldn't be a wind, but it's also melodic and not strictly percussive, so it shouldn't be a percussion. And of course, it doesn't have strings, though I'd stick it in strings before anything else...

If a keyboard skill ever opened up, I'd say the gansa-gambang should jump over to that, along with any new and similar instruments like a marimba or xylophone...

Aveda (uh-VAYD-uh)

Aveda's Forfedhar Maps!
http://draveda.tripod.com/maps/
Re: Instrument Ideas 10/07/2006 04:36 PM CDT
Not accordian..... Sqeezebox!!

Mama's got a sqeezebox she weares on her chest
When Robo gets home he never gets no rest
cause he's playing all night
and musics all right...

Robo

P.S. forgive me Pete and Rodger......

The mist flows out from where Roboson sat, wavers a moment, then disappears.
>
>"scuse me!
You exclaim, "scuse me!"
>blush
You blush a bright red color.
Re: Instrument Ideas 10/07/2006 05:51 PM CDT
Can we get a henway?

-=Dirge. We've been kicking ash for centuries!=-
Re: Instrument Ideas 10/09/2006 07:18 AM CDT
What's a henway?

Danner
Re: Instrument Ideas 10/09/2006 08:43 AM CDT
I'll you know after I get my potfor!
Re: Instrument Ideas 10/09/2006 10:20 AM CDT
What's a potfor?
Why to cook with silly!

~Eoworfinia~
A snow goblin reaches down and gently pets your corpse, then quickly looks about to make sure no one noticed.
Re: Instrument Ideas 10/09/2006 11:51 AM CDT
We've sunk to a new low.

Danner
Re: Instrument Ideas 10/09/2006 12:33 PM CDT
>>What's a henway?<<

>>Danner<<

About three pounds when they're not laying eggs!

Muahahahahahahaha!!!!

-=Dirge. We've been kicking ash for centuries!=-
Re: Instrument Ideas 10/09/2006 01:52 PM CDT
Bardic wit at its finest folks. Someone get a bottle so we can capture this and sell it.

Danner
Re: Instrument Ideas 10/09/2006 02:35 PM CDT
Id just use the bottle they were obviously passing around.

Got Body Parts?
Re: Instrument Ideas 10/09/2006 11:12 PM CDT
<<Id just use the bottle they were obviously passing around.>>

Thats my bottle and I want it back now, refilled though

The Bardic blunder
Re: Instrument Ideas 10/10/2006 07:28 AM CDT
<hides his mason jar full of moonshine>

Uh, what bottle? I ain't got no bottle. That smell? Oh, nothing, just rubbing alcohol, I was, uh, cleaning, yeah. Transporting what across state lines? Nono, this? It was a gift. It's, uh, holy water. For blessing the house and all that.

Danner
Re: Instrument Ideas 10/10/2006 09:55 AM CDT
>>Danner's post

oooohhh do I have something for you if we ever meet at a Con... and living in SW missouri, I wont have to transport it over state lines either.

Got Body Parts?
Re: Instrument Ideas 10/10/2006 10:32 AM CDT
We'll have to compare. I've put in my order for more for Christmas. Now if I can just keep myself, family, and the neighbors from drinking it all...

And technically, you'll be travelling from "Misour'ah" to "Misery." Not quite a state change, but close enough.

Danner
Re: Instrument Ideas 10/10/2006 11:17 AM CDT
The last time Sete attended a con... he brought mead :)

~Azimee

~~~
If you find yourself confronted by a group of armed guards, be warned that they will attack you in mass. No matter what you have been told by other sources, rest assured that they will not line up to attack you one by one. ~Handbook of Practical Heroics
Re: Instrument Ideas 10/10/2006 11:26 AM CDT
Mead, while delicious, is for the weak. What I get will put (or curl, if you already have it) hair on your toes, not just your chest.

Does this mean I have to actually show up for a Con at some point so we can have a drink-off?

Danner

PS: Though I do need a new supply of mead. Nowhere I've seen in the States (well okay, Indiana, Illinois, and Missouri at any rate) carries the stuff, and we're jonsin' for more after finishing our last bottle from our honeymoon on our anniversary.

PPS: Oh, and, uh, the empty whiskey jug is a great instrument, especially for beginners. There should be more instruments like that (weather resistant, and you can sound moderately decent with less than 40 ranks). HAH, on topic! Take THAT!
Re: Instrument Ideas 10/10/2006 01:25 PM CDT
at the next con Ill bring both the mead (I make) and the other (others make).

Got Body Parts?
Re: Instrument Ideas 10/10/2006 01:40 PM CDT
Crap, now I DO have to drive the horrible 25-30 minutes it would take me to get over there.

Just for the record, I hate everyone. <grumble>

Danner
Re: Instrument Ideas 10/10/2006 01:51 PM CDT
Heh Mason stopped making the half gallon jars because most of them were being sold in the next county over from me (they finally figured out why).

<<Crap, now I DO have to drive the horrible 25-30 minutes it would take me to get over there.>>

Least you don't have to find plane tickets, a hotel room, and someone to pay my bartab

Repin SouthWESTERN Va

The Bardic blunder
Wyndsol
Re: Instrument Ideas 10/10/2006 02:58 PM CDT
>>Least you don't have to find plane tickets, a hotel room, and someone to pay my bartab

Put it on my tab. By the time they figure out I'm not going to make it you'll be long gone...

Siltoth

Stealer of Silvy's Hugs

Burhup says, "I still havn't thought of a good present for a theif"
You say to Burhup, "a Get out of jail free scroll"
Re: Instrument Ideas 10/10/2006 03:56 PM CDT
<< at the next con Ill bring both the mead (I make) and the other (others make)>>

KAJAGOOGOO,

Send me some of your recipes for it, and or where to buy or mail order it. Ohio used to be illegal to mail alcohol, Im not sure it still is. I may actually have a clean basement to ferment it now.

Roboson

Robert.Kelly@adelphia.net

>
>"scuse me!
You exclaim, "scuse me!"
>blush
Re: Instrument Ideas 10/10/2006 04:09 PM CDT
<<Repin SouthWESTERN Va>>

Dude, go to the Bridge Day Fest in south central W. Va., on 10-21. I will have a LOT od beer in my cooler.

Robo

>
>"scuse me!
You exclaim, "scuse me!"
>blush
Re: Instrument Ideas 10/10/2006 06:39 PM CDT
gotta love the river.

I've rafted it twice.

You know,
~ I could always put it back to the old roundtimes...
Re: Instrument Ideas 10/10/2006 08:02 PM CDT
<<Dude, go to the Bridge Day Fest in south central W. Va., on 10-21. I will have a LOT od beer in my cooler.>>

Thats when all you crazy people jump off the gorge bridge right? I was actually thinking of checking it out this year

The Bardic blunder
Re: Instrument Ideas 10/10/2006 08:04 PM CDT
<<last post>>
and cooler of beer sold me

The Bardic blunder
Re: Instrument Ideas 10/11/2006 10:02 AM CDT
Man, they were doing that when I was in college! That was a long time ago. I never went for the weekend event of it but passed it everytime I went canoeing the New or was it when I went whitewatering? One of those two. Oh great! Now I'm homesick! I miss the mountains and the New and the leaves changing and rafting and not worrying there's some gater waiting in every non-beach swimming hole! Blah, have fun! Wish I was there to see it!

~Eoworfinia~
A snow goblin reaches down and gently pets your corpse, then quickly looks about to make sure no one noticed.
Re: Instrument Ideas 10/11/2006 04:10 PM CDT
No excuses Eowo! I'll just bring a bigger cooler. Actually, you probaly did both canoeing and rafting. Parts of the New are very calm, and parts have class IV rapids. Its one of the only non-coastal areas I'd like to live in myself.

Robo

Its Oct 21, be there!

>
>"scuse me!
You exclaim, "scuse me!"
>blush
Re: Instrument Ideas 10/11/2006 04:13 PM CDT
I'm in Florida now!!!!!! Sorry, I won't be there. That's why I'm homesick! :-/

~Eoworfinia~