Holistic Heritages 01/26/2011 11:34 PM CST
I've just gone back and read all of the posts in this folder with increasing excitement. I've recently returned to Dragonrealms and reactivated by Bard who has been collecting dust for the past 4+ years.

What I like about the Heritages so far is that even though they are distinct visions/traditions, they help define the Guild more holistically-a word I'm stealing from Raesh because I'd never have thought of using it to describe this process. The unlikelihood of additional Heritages is like a line in the sand being drawn to distinguish the Guild from the others. Which is something I like coming back to a Guild after a long time away and trying to figure out what my place and development will be.

The one question I did have is why there wasn't space created for a crafting Heritage, either broadly defined or a more specific defined to just musical instruments. As a Lore Primary Guild with the expanded numbers of careers and hobbies Bards would have a rich tradition to draw on for all aspects of crafting. Is the idea that this would be so "pan-Bardic" it wouldn't make sense in a more narrow Heritage?

I ask because if the Lorekeepers are non-Musical lore and don't have a heavy focus on crafting, that leaves them a small lore emphasis of just Scholarship*, post combination with Teaching, and the Magical skillset. The description of them is an emphasis on history and lore, not really magic, which would seem out of place for a Magic Primary Guild anyway. So they'd really seem to have a Heritage developed around a very narrow and specific part of the Lore Skillset that, outside of Recall, doesn't seem to have much support in game for playability. Both combat and performance have robust systems around them, so I'm wondering why the decision to focus on history/lore and not crafting.

~~Lupdels

*p.s. And I understand Scholarship will play a part in crafting too, so essentially the Heritage would be focusing on only part of the Scholarship skill . . .
Re: Holistic Heritages 01/27/2011 02:50 AM CST
Heritages aren't quite as simple as "X skills go to Y Heritage" though when working on some of the other Bardic projects coming up I tend to thematically connect things to them.

To hit the crafting note to start with -- All Bards (as a lore primary) already get large bonuses to the crafting system, and at this point I'm not ready to commit to piling more on. That said, it is something I have considered and the Lorekeepers are the most likely Heritage to end up with it should it come about.

But to continue with my main point -- the Heritages are more complex than the short summaries tend to give them credit (and I fully admit to using the short hand when describing them), particularly when they encounter skill sets. To elaborate:

Songsworn -- Generally we've said this is the Combat Heritage, but at the same time they're spies and secret agents and whatnot. Maybe ninjas, maybe pirates (maybe not). So while the emphasis will be on physical combat ability, they also touch on a number of survival skills to do their job, but they also need a focus on magic to aid their combat and the new mojo abilities (which will certainly tie into the sort of things a Songsworn would be doing) will draw directly from the Bardic Lore skill.

As you can see they're all over the place as far as skill sets are concerned, and in the end -- they're still a Bard first, Songsworn second, and everything that implies.

So the other two Heritages don't feel neglected:

Lorekeepers -- The "Lore and Magic" Heritage, this Heritage is a little more focused than the other two and in involving possibly the most "new stuff" mechanically, which is a little surprising given than the Taleweavers didn't even exist as a concept before we started this project. I think this is part of why people have having a little trouble with "what does a Lorekeeper do" because right now, you're right -- they get magic which everyone has, and recall which is a little boring right now. It will not remain that way. As mentioned, if we decided to go with crafting boosting -- this is the most likely home for it.

Taleweavers -- Again, the "Performance Heritage" sells them a little short. They aren't just the new Performance Skill + Athletics. While a lot of the RP tools will find a happy home with people who enjoy this Heritage, it will be as fully functional as the other two. Like the Lorekeepers they'll be a number of new toys themed around them through the new Mojo system.

Keep in mind, the mechanical benefits of being in a Heritage are going to be limited -- they're mostly there as a framework for RP and the development of other things.

-Raesh

"Ever notice that B.A.'s flavor text swells in direct proportion to how much one of our characters is getting screwed?" - Brian Van Hoose
Re: Holistic Heritages 01/27/2011 09:19 AM CST
>>Songsworn -- Generally we've said this is the Combat Heritage, but at the same time they're spies and secret agents and whatnot. Maybe ninjas...

Ugh, you're going to make me want to be a Songsworn now :(

__
~Leilond
http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/Leilond
http://soundsoftime.bravehost.com
Re: Holistic Heritages 01/27/2011 09:27 AM CST
> To hit the crafting note to start with -- All Bards (as a lore primary) already get large bonuses to the crafting system, and at this point I'm not ready to commit to piling more on. That said, it is something I have considered and the Lorekeepers are the most likely Heritage to end up with it should it come about.

I get not wanting to pile up more on the crafting system since we will get so much already as a lore primary. But on the list of little tricks/Heritage cantrips I'd be interested in something related to crafting. And, more specifically, some RP-related in one of the Heritages to crafting. I don't need feats that make my instruments better than anyone else's, that's what being lore primary is for. On the RP side though, what makes more sense for a semi-secret/semi-selective Bardic group to guard than traditions and methods related to the creation of instruments?

Additional questions, mostly related to understanding the Heritages as a way to understand more about the direction the Guild is going.

>Songsworn -- Generally we've said this is the Combat Heritage, but at the same time they're spies and secret agents and whatnot. Maybe ninjas, maybe pirates (maybe not). So while the emphasis will be on physical combat ability, they also touch on a number of survival skills to do their job . . .

Given that we are a survival tertiary Guild, except for keeping Misdirection is there anything planned, not in the Heritages but maybe as a feat, that would fall under the stealthy skills that would make sense? It just seems the survival primes should get first dibs, then Moon Mages, and then . . . no one?

But being a spy or a secret agent can be a lot more than being a ninja in the dark. For Bards, I'm thinking Scarlet Pimpernel. Because we're very dashing.

On the Lorekeepers, any chance that they might know a bit more about the Naga? I'm still reading through years of posts, but it seems that the fleshing out of how Bardic magic works is a bit behind the other Guilds.

~~
Lupdels
Re: Holistic Heritages 01/27/2011 09:29 AM CST
Heh, I thought that was already a forgone conclusion.

I personally have always been drawn to the secret agent aspect of the Songsworn in much the same way that my moon mage is drawn towards the similarly secretive Goldcaps. I really hope this is a well fleshed out aspect of the Songsworn. Hint, hint.

-Evran

Bringing sexy back just for you Devan.
Re: Holistic Heritages 01/27/2011 10:22 AM CST
>Re: Survival abilities.

Bards may end up with some minor interactions with the survival skill set (Much the same way a number of guilds have minor interactions with their tert skill set), for example the Bluffs are planned to stick around (Though improved) and a number of those are survival based.

For the most part, however, you get to demonstrate that you're a super sneaky perception ninja/pirate/burned spy/Bard the same way you get to demonstrate that, say, you're a Moon Mage/Y'shai. Which is to say working harder at a tert skill than everyone else.

>On the Lorekeepers, any chance that they might know a bit more about the Naga?

Yes and no. Yes, we plan to expand the Naga lore. No, it likely won't be Lorekeeper centric.

-Raesh

"Ever notice that B.A.'s flavor text swells in direct proportion to how much one of our characters is getting screwed?" - Brian Van Hoose
Re: Holistic Heritages 01/27/2011 10:26 AM CST
/coughslipscough

-Evran

Gay, geeky, and a little bit cheeky.
Re: Holistic Heritages 01/27/2011 10:32 AM CST
>/coughslipscough

http://tinyurl.com/y9lgh85

-Raesh

Re: Holistic Heritages 01/27/2011 10:37 AM CST
>...you get to demonstrate that you're a super sneaky perception ninja/pirate/burned spy/Bard the same way you get to demonstrate that, say, you're a Moon Mage/Y'shai. Which is to say working harder at a tert skill than everyone else.

Yay!

Hiding: 744

__
~Leilond
Re: Holistic Heritages 01/27/2011 10:40 AM CST
Not really. If you haven't read any of my previous suggestions on alternate Bard slips, then I suggest looking them up. I'd link them but they've been archived.

-Evran

Re: Holistic Heritages 01/27/2011 10:40 AM CST
Ok so just to clarify, but someone who does not join a heritage will be able to partake of all of these feats and such, just at a slightly increased cost, right? So Songsworn would get a hiding feat for 1 feat slot but someone who isn't joined to a heritage would need to spend 2 feat slots to get it? Likewise, someone from the Lorekeeper heritage would need to spend 3 feat slots for the Songsworn hiding feat? Are we still using that scheme?

__
~Leilond
Re: Holistic Heritages 01/27/2011 11:08 AM CST
We're not that far into development (feats are the very last thing on the Bardic plate right now) but that is currently the general idea, yes.

Being part of a Heritage comes with RP perks, and will make some things easier and some things harder. In the long run it'll be equal with not being in a Heritage.

-Raesh

Re: Holistic Heritages 01/27/2011 12:07 PM CST
I think it's great for someone to play a super stealthy perception ninja/pirate/burned spy/Bard by working harder at a tert skill than everyone else, I just am reading through the posts about the Guild becoming more holistic and focused and worried that parts of it are too good to be true. It looks like we'll still be well rounded jack of all trades, especially with survival. I count five spells that buff our survival skills, leaving only Outdoormanship, First Aid, and Skinning out of the cold.* I could easily see the decision being made to take all of these spells away because Bards are survival tert and in the Bard 2.0/3.0 system they don't make sense.

So if we get to have this, plus potentially Bluffs dealing with survival, and plus potentially Feats as well buffing survival, I fear we're going to have to get screwed somewhere. Will Armor become a quaternary skillset?**

I guess what I'm saying is thank you. I don't see the other spell lists for other Guilds getting much, if any, in the way of buffs to their tert skills. Or is that what I'm missing in the new vision, that what we're good at is being better at what we're bad at?

~~
Lupdels

*Not counting Thievery since the Guild doesn't recognize that, but the bonus to stealth are still helpful and surprisingly nice given that we're a survival tert.

**Joking. Not a real suggestion.
Re: Holistic Heritages 01/27/2011 12:15 PM CST
<<I count five spells that buff our survival skills, leaving only Outdoormanship, First Aid, and Skinning out of the cold.*

Outdoorsmanship is the only one of those three we won't buff.

First Aid is part of Hodierna's Lilt, Zeyurn just forgot to include it in his blurb because he wasn't aware of it. Skinning I think is in the same boat and will still be included in Drums of the Snake.

<<So if we get to have this, plus potentially Bluffs dealing with survival, and plus potentially Feats as well buffing survival, I fear we're going to have to get screwed somewhere.

Why? We've been able to do all of it except the feats for years and years now. The addition of feats isn't going to be a major change since the Heritage feats are not going to be major buffs or abilities. They will either be fluffy or modify an ability in a minor way like making it slightly more efficient to use or something like that.

-Evran

Re: Holistic Heritages 01/27/2011 12:18 PM CST
You also have to take into consideration that most survival skills will likely not be within the Bard's sphere of influence, so most of those survival buffs will at best be only moderate in strength.

-Evran

Re: Holistic Heritages 01/27/2011 01:00 PM CST
Evran is essentially correct.

I'm only tangentially involved in magic 3.0, but it is my understanding that survival skills fall outside of the Bard sphere of influence, so their boosts will be smaller than, say, a Ranger's boosts to the same skill.

Further I (currently) have no plans to introduce further boosting of your survival skills through the Mojo system, but I also don't plan to scrap the existing ones.

Basically when all is said and done -- the Bard's ability to enhance his own survivals is going to stay roughly as it is now (though the bluffs might actually work and be somewhat practical...)

As a final note -- I think you're slightly misunderstanding the intention of feats Lupdels. Feats will mostly interact with the mojo system, and will enhance certain aspects. An example (That may or may not end up being real) would be something that reduced the mojo drain of using screams. They're not intended to be direct skill/stat boosters.

-Raesh

Re: Holistic Heritages 01/27/2011 04:59 PM CST
>Outdoorsmanship is the only one of those three we won't buff.

First Aid is part of Hodierna's Lilt, Zeyurn just forgot to include it in his blurb because he wasn't aware of it. Skinning I think is in the same boat and will still be included in Drums of the Snake.

Huzzah! Even better! I feel spoiled!

>We've been able to do all of it except the feats for years and years now.

So nothing has ever, ever been nerfed in the history of DR? ;)

~~
Lupdels
Re: Holistic Heritages 01/27/2011 05:04 PM CST
>Feats will mostly interact with the mojo system, and will enhance certain aspects. An example (That may or may not end up being real) would be something that reduced the mojo drain of using screams. They're not intended to be direct skill/stat boosters.

Noted. Just saw a lot of suggestions for feats that seemed more like skill/state boosters and wasn't sure what was plausible and what was wishful thinking.

~~
Lupdels