Shops 'n' Props 01/02/2011 12:26 AM CST
Each Heritage will have a Heritage Hall -- Basically a smallish gathering area with the Heritage Leader and a few other perks, and one of those Perks will be a Heritage exclusive shop. Think in the vein of the sect shops or a smallish festival shop in scale. What I'm asking you for is what sort of items you'd like to find in these shops. I'm not really looking for designed items (though I wouldn't say no) but general themes. Most of the items will be fluff and RP props, but I'm open to a little utility (Instruments and the like) though do not expect anything with groundbreakingly new utility since such a thing would be unlikely to be limited to a single Heritage.

-Raesh

"Ever notice that B.A.'s flavor text swells in direct proportion to how much one of our characters is getting screwed?" - Brian Van Hoose
Re: Shops 'n' Props 01/02/2011 01:30 AM CST
* Badges, Standard
* Badges, Magical (for example, RUB it and a giant illusionary banner of your heritage crest pops into the room for a moment)
* Heritage Embroidery patches (or crafting 2.0 equivalent)
* Hertigage "Tokens" (like little metal coins that have the sect motto or creed and the location of the heritage hall, hand them out like business cards)
* General items, such as mugs, shirts, jewelry, generic crested template weapons

Hmmm.... more ideas later mabye.

"Your suffering amuses me" -GM Raesh

Hunta Talna Kortok, built by Gor'Togs, for Gor'Togs
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/home.html
Blunts for Sale:
http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/User:Caraamon#Wares
Re: Shops 'n' Props 01/02/2011 01:40 AM CST
I've always preferred items that weren't stamped with crests and logos all over them. An item like "a dog-eared tome" can convey a much stronger image than "a badge reading: LOREKEEPER". Obviously the appropriate crests exist and are displayed proudly by the guild, but I don't tend to buy items with them.
Re: Shops 'n' Props 01/02/2011 04:30 AM CST
Hmm. Interesting point. I should design a crest for each Heritage. Or make you guys do it :P

I'll get back to you on that one.

-Raesh

"Ever notice that B.A.'s flavor text swells in direct proportion to how much one of our characters is getting screwed?" - Brian Van Hoose
Re: Shops 'n' Props 01/02/2011 06:01 AM CST
While it may be okay for the lore and performance heritages to have a crest, it could be quite dangerous for the songsworn to have one that is commonly known. Why blab about a secretive society? At most, I would suggest a variation on the bardic knot.

1) Weapons commonly available only on the other side of the realms from the shop. I would especially like to see some bard design for throwing blades or throwing stars.

2) Paper you can write messages on like the paper in the Rakash village. Maybe wax and seals so you can close them. I'm not sure that is possible. Quills to go with this since they aren't available all over the place.

3) A few instruments commonly available only on the other side of the realms from the shop, maybe made from some unique materials as an option.

4) Instrument cases with size, color, material and wearable location options.

5) Strings for all possible needs, repair kits.

6) Disguises/costumes.

7) Sound effect item for performances. There was one that was either auctioned or raffled a few years ago in plat.

8) Hireable stage crew? I would love to be able to set up a stage for a performance in the wilds if necessary similar to tents for weddings or have the stage crew work for you in one of the theaters. (I know there's a rewrite for theaters on the list somewhere. I think I could write a monster post on that by itself.)

9) A selection of bardic knots that isn't elaborate. I.E. instead of finding things like what is here http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/House_of_All_Hues - have the ability to choose something custom.

spirit knot, blood knot, soul knot
ring, necklace, earcuff, brooch, pin, etc
silver, brass, gold, blackened silver, etc
For blood knots you choose a gem or ribbon
For spirit knots you choose a diff metal or gem for the bell in the center
For the soul knot you can choose two different materials to entertwine.

Maybe make fate knots available?

What about new knots? A trinity knot could symbolize the combination of the three heritages. Make a specific color or specific material be the distinguishing mark for each heritage.

10) Albredine rings for communication if the shop is where they are not easy to buy.

11) Cambrinth rings if the shop is where cambrinth is not easy to buy.

12) Armor with looks that are not full suits but designed to be worn together - greaves, coat, gloves, mask for leather; greaves, chain shirt, gauntlets, balaclava for chain. Still have the full suits though.

13) Heraldry counter for shields where you can choose your symbol.

Wow...that was before coffee.

~Faih

Three things that make a bard:
Playing of the lute
Knowledge of ancient lore
Poetic power.
- adapted from the Triads
Re: Shops 'n' Props 01/02/2011 08:31 AM CST
> While it may be okay for the lore and performance heritages to have a crest, it could be quite dangerous for the songsworn to have one that is commonly known. Why blab about a secretive society?

I'll point out that the CIA has an official seal. The Songsworn are an officially acknowledged group, it's just some of their members who are kept secret. Some are out in the open, and can shout their affiliation from the rooftops.

> Hmm. Interesting point. I should design a crest for each Heritage. Or make you guys do it :P

Since the crest of the Bard's guild has three parts, it could be fun for each of the heritages to base their crest on one of those three parts. Obviously more would need to be added; a fisted gauntlet by itself isn't that informative.
Re: Shops 'n' Props 01/02/2011 09:35 AM CST
I'll point out that the CIA has an official seal. The Songsworn are an officially acknowledged group, it's just some of their members who are kept secret. Some are out in the open, and can shout their affiliation from the rooftops.

Personally I don't share this point of view. Songsworn to me are more of an "open secret", and I mean that even if people know about it, they're not supposed to talk about it. Bards should know about songsworn but should be careful about anckwoledging their existence outside the bard guild, even to other people who are aware of their existence.

That said I was thinking along the line that the songsworn crest could be concealed on an item, a ring for example that might be plain looking to a non-guilder. Songsworn could also have items they may wear only when they meet among themselves, such as brassards to indicate rank\station.

* Malik was just struck down!
Re: Shops 'n' Props 01/02/2011 01:38 PM CST
I always imagined the Lorekeepers to be more along the Order of Kalodi. They're not just the keepers of stories and whatnot, they go out and find the lore themselves. They're researchers, archaeologists, linguists, you name it. I think a Lore Keeper crest should reflect those things. Therefore I would suggest a pick axe over a battered tome.

That wouldn't be because I already have an alteration with that on there or anything. Honest. And I don't think songsworn would want to keep their crest secret, didn't we already see something similar to what a Song sword crest might be at the last guild fest? Let's not muddle up the lore by having a multitude of pretend crests out there, that's pretty annoying.

As for items, I kind of like the general idea they did at Guild Fest. For songsworn, they did a lot of armor and weapons and uh..other stuff I forget, the lorekeepers had a bunch of books and satchels and I forget what the Performance Bard area had because I don't think I bought anything.

- Terra
Re: Shops 'n' Props 01/02/2011 01:46 PM CST
> Therefore I would suggest a pick axe over a battered tome.

I wasn't suggesting that as a crest. I don't want objects with pictures on them. I was talking about an actual dog-eared book as an item.
Re: Shops 'n' Props 01/02/2011 02:07 PM CST
>>I wasn't suggesting that as a crest. I don't want objects with pictures on them. I was talking about an actual dog-eared book as an item.

I apologize if you think I was implying you thought the dog-eared tome was supposed to be some sort of crest. What I thought is you were suggesting a dog-eared tome as an item. But later on Raesh mused that perhaps he would have us make crests. The pick over a battered tome was my idea for a crest.

However, I'd like to say that if a dog-eared tome does become an item (it would be a good one imo) then I'd also like to see a regular tome. It's just a pet peeve of mine but I always slip something in my books, I refuse to dog-ear any book (unless maybe it's a battered paperback) and I just couldn't bring my character to do that either. One of each wouldn't be too much work, I wouldn't think.

- Terra
Re: Shops 'n' Props 01/02/2011 02:44 PM CST
> The pick over a battered tome was my idea for a crest.

Ah, gotcha. How about a pick over a fedora, both encircled by a bullwhip?
Re: Shops 'n' Props 01/02/2011 02:47 PM CST
<<Ah, gotcha. How about a pick over a fedora, both encircled by a bullwhip?

Sorry, Indiana Jones has already been claimed by the Moon Mage guild.

-Evran

"RAGE + TEAR + EYE + RESO + HARM + DRUM + MISD + PRIDE + Your choice of Cyclic + AoE stun/knockdown as needed without losing buffs = OMG! I just crapped my pants!" -Evran
Re: Shops 'n' Props 01/02/2011 06:41 PM CST
>>Sorry, Indiana Jones has already been claimed by the Moon Mage guild.

Rats. :P

-V.

"Reject me not, sweet sounds! oh, let me live,
Till doom espy my towers and scatter them.
A city spell-bound under the aging sun,
Music my rampart, and my only one."
-Edna St. Vincent-Millay
Re: Shops 'n' Props 01/02/2011 06:44 PM CST
<<Sorry, Indiana Jones has already been claimed by the Moon Mage guild.>>

Terald is a Ranger.

GM Jaedren
Re: Shops 'n' Props 01/02/2011 07:24 PM CST
>Terald is a Ranger.

Really? Huh, I should go fix that on the wiki.

"Your suffering amuses me" -GM Raesh

Hunta Talna Kortok, built by Gor'Togs, for Gor'Togs
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/home.html
Blunts for Sale:
http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/User:Caraamon#Wares
Re: Shops 'n' Props 01/02/2011 08:05 PM CST
I'm just aping what Armifer used as his example of what a Moon Mage is based on how our skillsets are arranged, i.e. Indiana Jones with magic. Any Goblin kings will have to take any objections up with him. :p

-Evran

"RAGE + TEAR + EYE + RESO + HARM + DRUM + MISD + PRIDE + Your choice of Cyclic + AoE stun/knockdown as needed without losing buffs = OMG! I just crapped my pants!" -Evran
Re: Shops 'n' Props 01/04/2011 12:05 PM CST
With the badge idea, what about a badge that can be changed (turned, tapped whatever) so that it disguises it? You can openly wear it if you want or at a meeting etc...but can change it for when in public?

Or a badge that is a bit more obscure and people wouldn't "officially" recognize it?

A sash or something similar would be a different way to show affiliation - much like the Scottish clans do.

I'm not a big hat person but maybe different headwear for each Heritage?

How about some cambrinth items that aren't your typical ring or jewelry item? I love the Cam weapons and bags etc, a Cambrinth pick would be interesting for example. :P
Re: Shops 'n' Props 01/04/2011 03:58 PM CST
I have plans for secret markings of Songsworn.

I just haven't decided exactly what mechanic is going to work out the best -- so I'm not prepared to say more than it's something I'm planning.

-Raesh

Re: Shops 'n' Props 01/04/2011 04:49 PM CST
>>I have plans for secret markings of Songsworn.

http://xkcd.com/842/

?
Re: Shops 'n' Props 01/04/2011 09:45 PM CST
>>I have plans for secret markings of Songsworn.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1Y73sPHKxw

* Malik was just struck down!
Re: Shops 'n' Props 01/04/2011 11:23 PM CST
Something like that, yes.

-Raesh

Re: Shops 'n' Props 01/05/2011 12:56 PM CST
It is even funnier to me because that is EXACTLY what I think of anytime Raesh teases us about something. :P

Either that or him in a chair stroking his kitty and telling us it is our turn to die.
Re: Shops 'n' Props 01/07/2011 07:31 PM CST
I think the Taleweavers should have a collection of exotic items which parallel some of the strange songs and tales they've collected from remote lands.

Or maybe I'm picturing them wrong.
Re: Shops 'n' Props 01/14/2011 02:39 PM CST
I have wanted a marinate case that doubled as a makeshift puppet stage for ages, so, I think that should be an item.

~Eoworfinia~

Anyone nit-picking enough to write a letter of correction to an editor doubtless deserves the error that provoked it.
Alvin Toffler

Get the facts first and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain
Re: Shops 'n' Props 01/14/2011 05:56 PM CST
But will you keep meat in it or just puppets?

sorry, had to.

-o