Prev_page Previous 1
Questions! 10/11/2010 01:02 AM CDT
Just two little questions for all of you re: Heritages.

1) Given that advancement through a Heritage will be skill based (and not circle based) which structure would you prefer: Many levels (~150) where the majority do nothing beyond let you brag that you advanced (since they won't come with TDPs like a circle) or few levels (10-15) where each one comes with some benefit?

Note that the difference is only cosmetic, since the skill needed for each perk would be roughly the same in either system (ie: Say you needed 50 ranks in some skill for the second perk, in the first system this could be level 15, whereas in the second system this would be level 2.)

2) Would you prefer to be able to change Heritages once you've selected one?

I'll admit -- I'm leaning a certain direction fairly strongly on both of these, but I'd like to hear your thoughts before deciding for sure.

-Raesh

"Ever notice that B.A.'s flavor text swells in direct proportion to how much one of our characters is getting screwed?" - Brian Van Hoose
Re: Questions! 10/11/2010 01:07 AM CDT
1) No preference.

2) Nope. Buyer's remorse tends to be smaller with unreturnable purchases.
Re: Questions! 10/11/2010 01:14 AM CDT
1.) No preference, really.

2.) Indeed. With a cost, though. I think it's fair to say sometimes RP styles change and so a particular heritage (or sect, or whatever) may no longer suit your character. Characters grow. It should NOT be something that's a spur of the moment kind of thing, in my opinion - just possible to do.

__
AIM: Ysselt
Re: Questions! 10/11/2010 01:22 AM CDT
1: I like the 150 level model, it gives you something to do. If the difference is purely cosmetic, I see no reason not to do the 150.

2: I'm for being able to change, just because there are so many things in DR you can never change about your character. With characters being such a huge time commitment, letting people change things like this to make their playtime more enjoyable is good, in my book.

-=Issus=-
Re: Questions! 10/11/2010 05:19 AM CDT
I'm NOT a Bard, so don't listen to me. :-p

1) Many levels. I like moar rewards nao!

2) Change is good, but with restrictions - time or TDP's, perhaps.

This idea may have worked in another time and another place, but here it immediately fell on its face and went "Durp durp." - Armifer
Re: Questions! 10/11/2010 05:44 AM CDT
>1) Many levels. I like moar rewards nao!

Just to reinforce this point, the rate and number of rewards you would get are the same in either model. It's just a cosmetic matter of if you want more frequent pats on the backs, or if you feel that'd water down the excitement for when you actually do get a new perk.

-Raesh

"Ever notice that B.A.'s flavor text swells in direct proportion to how much one of our characters is getting screwed?" - Brian Van Hoose
Re: Questions! 10/11/2010 07:12 AM CDT
1) Fewer levels. I don't think it should be on par with the base guild(150 circles).

2) Yes, maybe once every 3 RL months or something equally lengthy. It should not be easy to do.

__
~Leilond
http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/Leilond
http://soundsoftime.bravehost.com
Re: Questions! 10/11/2010 08:51 AM CDT
1)The first option.
2)And i believe once you join a Heritage you should remain loyal to it. However I can understand how the others feel about being able to change, i just think the hit you would take should be significant cause it would be sad to see those who would change heritages on a whim.

Regards,
Vteec
Re: Questions! 10/11/2010 09:08 AM CDT
1. Many rankings for small sense of weekly accomplishments
2. Change with high cost (time/coin whatever)
Re: Questions! 10/11/2010 11:33 AM CDT
1. I like the option to get rewarded less often but maybe get a perk each time. For me anyway, that would be more worth looking forward to than a bunch of small meaninless rewards.

2. I think you should be able to change Heritages once in your career, kind of like MM can one time switch to Heritage House once, so I think we should be able to move to the Heritsge of our choice own.

- Terra
Re: Questions! 10/11/2010 11:36 AM CDT
>>2. I think you should be able to change Heritages once in your career, kind of like MM can one time switch to Heritage House once, so I think we should be able to move to the Heritsge of our choice own.

Hmm I didn't know a mechanic like this existed. I actually like this option the best--If you choose a house, you can change it only once.

__
~Leilond
Re: Questions! 10/11/2010 12:01 PM CDT
>>Hmm I didn't know a mechanic like this existed.

The mechanic works in that you can join any of the sects. You can ONLY change your sect to the heritage house sect however once you have choosen. This is due to the lore of the heritage house and their desire to unify all of the sects into their own.
Re: Questions! 10/11/2010 02:17 PM CDT
1. Fewer with more impact.
2. Since I doubt I'll join any heritage for the fact I hate to be pigeon holed, I would say, yes, be able to change but take my answer with a grain of salt.

~Eoworfinia~
Marge, it takes two to lie. One to lie and one to listen. Homer Simpson

Get the facts first and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain
Re: Questions! 10/11/2010 03:00 PM CDT
Heritage House are the Borg.

-Raesh

Re: Questions! 10/11/2010 05:10 PM CDT
>>1) Given that advancement through a Heritage will be skill based (and not circle based) which structure would you prefer: Many levels (~150) where the majority do nothing beyond let you brag that you advanced (since they won't come with TDPs like a circle) or few levels (10-15) where each one comes with some benefit?

The fewer level system... pointless ranks with no tangible benefit are a bit tiresome to me.

>>2) Would you prefer to be able to change Heritages once you've selected one?

Yes, though (as others have said) with significant limitation either in terms of time or cost (not monetary). It should be a meaningful decision to join a heritage, not just a simple choice.
Re: Questions! 10/11/2010 05:11 PM CDT
What about...until you reach a certain level within a heritage you can change at no cost? It's you or the elders in that path who figure out it's just not right for you.

As for pats on the back - they're nice to get every now and then but it worries me a tad that they might be skill ranks related. Getting 50 ranks of skill x under 200 ranks is waaaaayyyyy different from getting 50 ranks of skill x when you're over 800 ranks. So I'm hoping it's set up to scale appropriately time wise.

Something attainable once every 3 months for a casual player would be a nice feel good.

~Faih

Three things that make a bard:
Playing of the lute
Knowledge of ancient lore
Poetic power.
- adapted from the Triads
Re: Questions! 10/11/2010 05:18 PM CDT
I would assume that the scaling issue would probably be solved by having the more excellent rewards on the higher end of things.

Another reason I'd like for there to be 150 levels (or maybe just 25 or 50 or something) with levels that don't have rewards: In the future, having it set up to acknowledge that you've reached a new level at those smaller increments could make it easier for new rewards to be added in at spots other than the initial 10. I'm not saying we need more than those initial 10, but you never know when you might say "Man, I want to put this thing in the game but I just don't have a notable achievement to lock it to." I much prefer easy to track ability gains than the "Hey...anyone have that 6 year old spreadsheet on them so I can see if I can get a voice throw yet?" version.

-=Issus=-
Re: Questions! 10/11/2010 05:29 PM CDT
>>Heritage House are the Borg.

So we are to be assimilated into mindless bagpipe droners subject to sacrifice at whim to achieve the final tribal goal of perfection?

* Malik was just struck down!
Re: Questions! 10/11/2010 05:31 PM CDT
On the plus side, we get awesome shields.
Re: Questions! 10/12/2010 01:05 AM CDT
>>I think you should be able to change Heritages once in your career...

If I were to roll a Bard, I would want to experiment with all the heritages to see which I liked best - preferably without rerolling the character to do so.

>>Just to reinforce this point, the rate and number of rewards you would get are the same in either model.

Yeah, I didn't mean to muddy the waters. For me, even a cosmetic pat on the back is a reward.

This idea may have worked in another time and another place, but here it immediately fell on its face and went "Durp durp." - Armifer
Re: Questions! 10/12/2010 01:19 PM CDT
1. Fewer with more impact
2. Change, but only once.
Re: Questions! 10/12/2010 02:39 PM CDT
1. Less levels with more meaning.
2. Change once.

GENT
Re: Questions! 10/12/2010 11:55 PM CDT
1. fewer with more meaning.
2. Yes, but have consequences for each change..maybe more expensive each time or a time limit between?
Re: Questions! 10/13/2010 08:34 AM CDT
Agree with LUCKYSEVENS/Gent.

Less with more meaning
Change once

Seems to fit other systems already in place in DR.
Re: Questions! 10/13/2010 02:57 PM CDT
1) I had been leaning strongly towards a lesser number of ranks, but I think we're going to end up with a compromise instead -- A small to medium number of ranks that includes some "meaningless" ranks as spacers, that also allow slotting in of future development without watering down the process too much.

2) I'm okay with people switching Heritages, but I do not want it done casually. Nothing I've seen here really has changed my mind -- but I would be interested in what people think are proper limitations here. I do not want to charge TDPs for it, I do not want to limit the number of times you can do it. Would a "Six(?) months after leaving a Heritage you are able to join another one?" satisfy people? I can't say I'm entirely sold on that option.

-Raesh

Re: Questions! 10/13/2010 03:05 PM CDT
Think it shouldn't be casual either. Should be a good amount of time if that is what you are leaning towards. I think any amount of time will be arbitrary so it's really whatever number you put to it. Six months seems a little much to me, but I really have nothing to justify feeling that way about it.
Re: Questions! 10/13/2010 03:31 PM CDT
>>Would a "Six(?) months after leaving a Heritage you are able to join another one?" satisfy people? I can't say I'm entirely sold on that option.

I actually like this, so someone could leave at any time and just not be able to join another one until six months have passed. Sounds fair to me and would give a meaningful value to thinking about your choice ahead of time.

__
~Leilond
Re: Questions! 10/13/2010 03:48 PM CDT
Six months seems fair to me, as well.

-=Issus=-
Re: Questions! 10/13/2010 03:52 PM CDT
Six months is fair, seems just right.
Re: Questions! 10/13/2010 04:21 PM CDT
I prefer a half a year waiting option.

I just can't be seen agreeing with Issus too much, or people will think we're the same person.

:D

__
AIM: Ysselt
Re: Questions! 10/13/2010 05:36 PM CDT
6 months seems fine to me as well.

- Terra
Re: Questions! 10/13/2010 06:16 PM CDT
>Would a "Six(?) months after leaving a Heritage you are able to join another one?" satisfy people? I can't say I'm entirely sold on that option.

Are you trying to do this for a RL time frame or an IG time frame? I mean...what about a character waiting 1 Elanthian year before joining another? This would be slightly more than 3 months RL. Or maybe 1.5 Elanthian years at something less than 6 months?

Also, make those jumping ship go through some sort of additional 'proof of desire' quest or something to convince the Heritage that they're sincere.

I also see each heritage having different points of view as to whether they would accept someone who's been jumping around. I don't see the performers caring as long as you're performing. The lore keepers might decide that you just aren't serious enough about your studies to make you worth wasting their time on you if you can't make a simple decision about your heritage. I don't see songsworn as going for anyone who's jumped ship more than once. But that's just me.

I don't see 6 months as being too long at all. I just thought you might want to tie it to something within the game since it's really a game lore thing.

~Faih

Three things that make a bard:
Playing of the lute
Knowledge of ancient lore
Poetic power.
- adapted from the Triads
Re: Questions! 10/13/2010 06:18 PM CDT
Just to play devil's advocate, would it possible to game the system if changing every 6 months was allowed?

Join the Songsworn and pick songsworn feats because they're the cheap ones. 6 months later change to Taleweaver and get all theirs for cheap, etc.
Re: Questions! 10/13/2010 09:38 PM CDT
I like the idea, but I would think 3 months is a bit more what I would hope for. Like the above poster, no real reason for the desire for it to be less then 6, just feels better.
Re: Questions! 10/14/2010 12:14 AM CDT
I would most likely just make it passage of RL time. It's just easier to track and players to keep track of.

It's entirely possible that certain Heritages may have different views on leaving or rejoining.

Off the cuff -- I think it's safe to say that if you were to rejoin a Heritage you'd be forced to go through the join quest again.

Finally, it will not be possible to game the system. Any perks gained would be lost on leaving the Heritage, and I already plan to account for changing Heritages with feat costs to prevent this (Since you could, for example, learn feats from the Lorekeepers as a normal bard under the normal cost and THEN join the Songsworn, which would cause the Lorekeeper feats to become more expensive, but the Songsworn feats cheaper). This is just a variant on the same thing.

-Raesh

Re: Questions! 10/14/2010 12:16 PM CDT
<<Finally, it will not be possible to game the system. Any perks gained would be lost on leaving the Heritage, and I already plan to account for changing Heritages with feat costs to prevent this (Since you could, for example, learn feats from the Lorekeepers as a normal bard under the normal cost and THEN join the Songsworn, which would cause the Lorekeeper feats to become more expensive, but the Songsworn feats cheaper). This is just a variant on the same thing.

Ah, cool. I knew the variant cost plan already, but wasn't aware of the plan for losing feats and having to rechoose on a change of heritage. That alleviates my case of devil's advocacy. Thanks for the info.
Re: Questions! 10/14/2010 02:34 PM CDT
Hmmm. You won't be losing feats under my current plan.

-Raesh

Re: Questions! 10/14/2010 03:13 PM CDT
>>You won't be losing feats under my current plan.

My ankles thank you, er...
Re: Questions! 10/14/2010 04:09 PM CDT
I must have read your blurb wrong then... Whats to prevent me joining the Songsworn and buying the cheap feats/perks, then joining the Taleweavers and buying the cheap feats/perks except for time then?
Re: Questions! 10/14/2010 04:20 PM CDT
This is very tentative, but since it's really nothing I didn't throw out there at the early meetings here's the gist.

Note that the numbers and names used in this example are mostly placeholders, and are no way indicative of the final design.

Basically you'll earn "Feat Points" (Yeah, they need a better name) through skill. Say you earn a point every 50 ranks of... scholarship, up to a cap of 20 total points. That's independent of your Heritage.

If you are not part of a Heritage, feats cost 2 points each. If you're part of a Heritage, the feats from your Heritage cost 1 and those from another Heritage cost 3.

What this means is, at the cap, a non Heritage Bard and a Heritage Bard both can purchase 10 feats (Assuming the Heritage Bard buys all of their Heritage Feats, which is a good assumption).

The solution I'm currently planning to prevent gaming the system is to allow feat points to go negative. So, say you spend 10 feat points as a non Heritage Bard, and buy all the Taleweaver feats and then join the Songsworn. At this point you have 15 feat points worth of feats, but only 10 points to spend. You'd be prevented from purchasing more feats until you worked off your debt, but in the long run it works out the same.

About the only weird thing you could do with this approach is to purchase (for example) all of the Taleweaver and Lorekeeper feats as a non Heritage Bard and than join the Songsworn, however in that scenario you would be forever prevented from learning the Songsworn feats. If someone wants to go to such lengths on the surface I don't really see a problem with it, nor much benefit of doing it.

-Raesh

Prev_page Previous 1