Moving forward... 06/23/2010 04:35 PM CDT
I thought about making these a contest, but since I'm already running one (that you really should be entering, like right now. This post will wait. Go go go.) I'm just going to leave these as topics for discussion. The reward is that you may see them show up in game in some form or another.

So - what am I looking for?

Flair verbs for each of the three Heritages (aside: Performers have been rebranded as Taleweavers). Think along the lines of the current practices; Flashy techniques to show off their Heritage, but purely cosmetic.

Existing verbs thats could reflect your Heritage in minor ways.

Minor NPCs - either existing or new - that would be a member of one of these three Heritages.

-Raesh
Re: Moving forward... 06/23/2010 08:16 PM CDT
Not sure if this is what you are looking for:

Females:
What you see: With a flourish of the right hand, you toss rose petals into the air. While your audience is distracted you slip into the shadows leaving a flurry of rose petals to dance on the wind.

What others see: <name> waves her right hand releasing rose petals high into the air. Distracted by the fragrant aroma, you notice <name> is no longer there.

Males:

What you see: With the snap of your fingers you produce a bright flash, temporarily blinding your audience, you slip into the shadows unnoticed.

What others see: <name> snaps their fingers producing a blinding flash. Moments later you notice <name> is no longer there.

Regards,

Sortny/Braunwen
Re: Moving forward... 06/23/2010 08:28 PM CDT
I'm assuming that would be a flashy version of hide, where people could still see you hiding if they win the perception check?

As for my thoughts, I'm gonna spend some time tomorrow coming up with ideas and post them afterwards.

-=Issus=-
Re: Moving forward... 06/23/2010 09:32 PM CDT
Not exactly.

While I'm not 100% opposed to the verbs having some minor effect, the focus should be on something cosmetic not something that would be a full fledged power (Like the examples you gave look an awful lot like a bluff to me).

-Raesh
Re: Moving forward... 06/25/2010 04:35 PM CDT
Ok, here are some ideas for Songsworn. I didn't come up with any for the Lorekeepers or Taleweavers since I don't really know what they'd like. Let me know if this is along the lines of what you're looking for, Raesh.

Also...these aren't the best, and I'll do my best to come up with more, but I felt like someone needed to try and get the ball rolling.

DANCE <weapon>:

In a calculated display of skill, you whirl your (weapon) through a series of precise forms.

Issus launches into a complex series of movements, his (weapon) whirling in his grip as he moves through a series of well executed forms.

EXAMINE <weapon>:

You hum a grim tune to yourself as you inspect your (weapon) for any possible signs of damage.

Issus hums a grim tune as he inspects his (weapon) for signs of damage.

NOD <person> ACKNOWLEDGE:

If (person) is not a songsworn:

You give (person) a curt nod of acknowledgement.
Issus gives you a curt nod of acknowledgement.

If (person) is also songsworn:

You give (person) a curt nod, a silent acknowledgement of a fellow Songsworn.
Issus gives you a curt nod, a silent acknowledgement of a fellow Songsworn.

HUM PYRE:

You hum a few notes from the Phoenix's Pyre enchante, causing several intense flames to flare up around you for an instant.
Issus hums a few notes from the Phoenix's Pyre enchante, several intense flames flaring into existence around him for just an instant.

HUM DEMR:

You hum a few notes from the Demrris' Resolve enchante, a grim look upon your face.
Issus hums a few notes of the Demrris' Resolve enchante, his grim countenance constant as a sudden (wall of raging fire|whirlwind of tempestuous water|wall of gale force wind) seems to form about him. Just as quickly as it came, the illusion is dispelled and all that remains is Issus, a smirk on his face.

TEST <weapon> <person>:

You whistle an innocent tune as you test the sharpness of your (weapon) against your thumb.
Issus whistles an innocent tune as he tests the sharpness of his blade against his thumb.

If there's a target:

You give (person) a meaningful glance as you whistle an innocent tune and test the sharpness of your (weapon) against your thumb.
Issus gives you a meaningful glance as he whistles an innocent tune and tests the sharpness of his (weapon) against his thumb.

Just some thoughts. I kind of like the idea of humming an enchante for a momentary cosmetic effect tied to the enchante.

-=Issus=-
Re: Moving forward... 06/25/2010 04:45 PM CDT
Yeah, that sorta thing is good.

Not sure how viable the hum ideas are with the enchantes - but I'm intrigued.

-Raesh
Re: Moving forward... 06/25/2010 04:52 PM CDT
Heh, btw, hat should be something watery before "tempestuous water", not whirlwind. That'd just be silly. I think I'm gonna try to keep a list of some of the more generic verbs I use somewhat often and see if I can't come up with more Songsworny versions. Wielding, sheathing, and salute all come to mind as likely candidates. WTB moar ideas, bards!

-=Issus=-
Re: Moving forward... 06/25/2010 06:16 PM CDT
>Not sure how viable the hum ideas are with the enchantes - but I'm intrigued.

It can be humming the tune without invoking the enchante kinda like the special hums we get where we can hum the tune from the beginning of a song scroll.

~Faih

Three things that make a bard: Playing of the lute, Knowledge of ancient lore, Poetic power. - adapted from the Triads
Re: Moving forward... 06/25/2010 06:19 PM CDT
Well...I mean, we could do that, but I think it's the extra effect that'd make it worth doing. I can count the number of times I've hummed a song scroll on zero hands.

-=Issus=-
Re: Moving forward... 06/25/2010 06:25 PM CDT
Yeah, think I've done it twice just to see if I could. But if the issue with humming enchantes is invoking the magic by humming it, it would still be nice without the magic happening. Just saying...

~Faih

Three things that make a bard: Playing of the lute, Knowledge of ancient lore, Poetic power. - adapted from the Triads
Re: Moving forward... 06/25/2010 06:30 PM CDT
Out of curiosity...if you could currently hum an enchante like this:

>hum pyre

And all that happened was this:

You hum a few notes from Phoenix's Pyre.

Would you actually do it? If you would...do you think you would do it on any kind of regular basis? I don't think I would, but as I'm sure the Bard board has told us there's a lot of different opinions on stuff like this.

-=Issus=-
Re: Moving forward... 06/25/2010 06:34 PM CDT
I would. But then I'd do it just to flip people out after they'd been soaked in Naphtha.

GM Jaedren
Re: Moving forward... 06/25/2010 06:48 PM CDT
It'd flip them out a whole lot more if you just sang it. Plus, there's nothing really stopping you from doing >act hums the opening bars to Phoenix's Pyre. ,whereas I think using act to do the things I mentioned would probably go over very poorly.

Now, if you'll excuse me...

>act unfolds his wings and soars off to Evermeet. Also, you think he's totally awesome and you agree with his every post. Furthermore, he totally has a sword made of LIVING FIRE that he commands with the power of the weirding way that Lanival taught him.

-=Issus=-
Re: Moving forward... 06/25/2010 08:11 PM CDT
That's what playact is for.

Silly bards.

-Raesh

PS: That's not what playact is for.
Re: Moving forward... 06/25/2010 08:17 PM CDT
>Would you actually do it? If you would...do you think you would do it on any kind of regular basis?

I'd do it. Whether I did it on a regular basis would depend on the reaction I got.

I was just offering an option because from what I can see so far these things he's asking for are intended to be purely cosmetic at this point.

Whether you could or should be able to invoke an enchante via humming is a different discussion (probably magic 3.0, but who knows?) that is worthy of its own thread.

Some of the other things you mentioned are also cosmetic with the possibility of being perhaps a nice way to check mojo or whatever we're going to call it. I just see checking mojo as something that's totally doable under the restrictions that Raesh has mentioned since that does not affect others in the process other than impress them.

~Faih

Three things that make a bard:
Playing of the lute
Knowledge of ancient lore
Poetic power.
- adapted from the Triads
Re: Moving forward... 06/25/2010 08:50 PM CDT
It wouldn't be actually doing anything, mechanically. Humming it wouldn't make fire hit anyone or drop anyone to the ground, it'd just flash on for a second. Add in a tiny mana hit for it to be technically correct. It's like that one cantrip where people burn whatever is in their hands, minus the functionality of item destruction.

As for checking mojo... I guess I could see the weapon dance one be a form of mojo checking, but really I think having one way is enough. Hell, I still don't know what level most of our mojo messages mean heh.

Getting some cosmetic verbs doesn't mean they have to be dull, IMO. They should be noticeably different from the average verb, and I think they should in some way showcase a bit about what that bards heritage is all about. That's why I only put Resolve and Pyre for the Songsworn, since they're the most overtly offensive of the enchantes.

Aaaaanyway, like I said, I'm still thinking. Salute, sheath and wield seem pretty good for the Songsworn. Perhaps make it so Songsworn get an extra message when they shake eachothers hands (that no on else sees). More on this story as it develops.

-=Issus=-
Re: Moving forward... 06/25/2010 09:04 PM CDT
You're on the right page Issus.

My comment re: humming was simply that I'd need to double check technically how to do it (Shouldn't be too hard) and I'd need to make sure it was within the scope of what we want to allow.

I assumed it wasn't actually doing anything but was more cantrip level.

-Raesh
Re: Moving forward... 06/25/2010 09:10 PM CDT
>I assumed it wasn't actually doing anything but was more cantrip level.

Ok. I have zero experience with cantrips though. So I'm not exactly sure what that means.

~Faih

Re: Moving forward... 06/25/2010 09:18 PM CDT
While some cantrips (moon mages in particular) do SOMETHING mechanically not all do, and most of the WM ones don't either.

Basically they're flashy minor magic effects with incidental useful side effects.

When I was outlining cosmetic perks for the Heritages, I was actually considering the "Flair" verbs the rough Bardic version of a cantrip, something flashy your Heritage has taught you to do that isn't actually useful.

-Raesh
Re: Moving forward... 06/25/2010 09:21 PM CDT
>>Ok. I have zero experience with cantrips though. So I'm not exactly sure what that means.

A cantrip is a trick, while some actually have use.

For example, the Veiled Illusion cantrip gives the Moon Mage a different appearance for a short while based on what sect they are a part of. WIKI Moon Mage sects for more information.

Warrior Mages have a cantrip that reinforces stone armor, or burns an object to cinders, or conjures a stone seat. They also have one that changes the color of their spells, Moon Mages have some verby ones are some useful ones.

I really love the humming an enchante idea.

Terra begins humming the unusually harsh tune of Desert's Maelstrom as a quick gust of wind and sand swirls around her. (drying her off, holla)

- Terra
Re: Moving forward... 02/19/2011 01:20 PM CST
<<(aside: Performers have been rebranded as Taleweavers).

See what I get for being late in reading the boards? Bad, bad, bad Belle!

XXXXXX: gosh the world is about to end....two of you at once?

XXXXXX:

* Court Playwright Chabelle D'Jhue joins the adventure.
>
* Court Playwright Chabelle D'Jhue joins the adventure.