Change to CARE 01/23/2020 03:17 PM CST
Would it be possible to make a metaspell for CARE that unlocks at, say, circle 20, to let CARE be a regular spell instead of a cyclic? I would love to be able to use something besides zills, but weather damage makes training with other instruments cumbersome.
Re: Change to CARE 01/27/2020 07:31 PM CST
I second this!

FYI you can use an umbrella to protect from weather too, but it takes a hand. So you are able to play one-handed instruments this way at least. Unfortunately all the best instruments are two-handed!

- Navesi

The First Land Herald -- Zoluren's newspaper. https://elanthipedia.play.net/The_First_Land_Herald
Re: Change to CARE 01/27/2020 08:23 PM CST

You know what would be really nice? A spell like OM but for bardic cyclics.
Re: Change to CARE 01/27/2020 09:35 PM CST
> FYI you can use an umbrella to protect from weather too, but it takes a hand.

There's been some instances where I've been holding an open umbrella and still received messages to the effect of rain falling on my zills. Not that I'm disputing that it works most of the time, just that I'm finding that it doesn't work all of the time. :)

~Aislynn
Re: Change to CARE 01/28/2020 12:04 AM CST

>You know what would be really nice? A spell like OM but for bardic cyclics.

I like this, would be a real game-changer for Bards if they had something like this. For balance reasons maybe they would just suspend a single pulse of the enchante versus suspending it at full readiness, an on-demand pulse of Maelstrom or Lullaby or Wolves would be amazing.
Re: Change to CARE 01/29/2020 05:15 PM CST
>>There's been some instances where I've been holding an open umbrella and still received messages to the effect of rain falling on my zills. Not that I'm disputing that it works most of the time, just that I'm finding that it doesn't work all of the time. :)

Were you wearing the zills or holding them? I believe the umbrella will only work if the instrument is being held.

>>>You know what would be really nice? A spell like OM but for bardic cyclics.

We have been asking for "two cyclics at once" forever... I'd be over the moon to see it as a very high level Bardic Lore feat.

- Navesi

The First Land Herald -- Zoluren's newspaper. https://elanthipedia.play.net/The_First_Land_Herald
Re: Change to CARE 01/30/2020 05:41 PM CST

> I like this, would be a real game-changer for Bards if they had something like this. For balance reasons maybe they would just suspend a single pulse of the enchante versus suspending it at full readiness, an on-demand pulse of Maelstrom or Lullaby or Wolves would be amazing.

I think there are other ways to balance it that would make it entirely bard, and you could even make it play (pun intended) off performance. So here's what I'm thinking...

Spell name: Ancestral Symphony (ANCS)
Spell type: Cyclic utilty
Restrictions: Scroll only, cyclics only, various skill requirement, takes bardic mojo to start, and higher mana costs to keep it running (straight attunement draw vs multiple small casts)
RP Description (paraphrased): Written upon this scroll is one of the secrets of the bard [name] who hid among the clerics during the great cataclysm. It seems her time was not wasted as she appears to have discovered a means of weaving enchantes together into a persistent state of being similar to how practitioners of the holy arts weave their spells into holy orbs.

RP Text:
- Cast message & pulse message (you): You feel a sense of reassurance, as if surrounded by more of your kind. (pulse message is followed by messaging from each spell - but no mana loss for them to trigger)
- Cast message & pulse message(others): <person> gestures. You feel a cold chill pass over you.
- Release message: You feel a sense of abandonment, as if you were suddenly alone.
- Segue spell # (success): You attempt to segue from [spell] to [spell]. Using the knowledge of your predecessors, you successfully weave the magic into your melody.
- Segue spell # (failure - skill): You attempt to segue from [spell] to [spell]. You find your abilities lacking and are unable to meld the melodies together.
- Segue spell # (failure - mana): You attempt to segue from [spell] to [spell]. You fail to draw upon the necessary power and are unable to meld the melodies together.

Mechanical:
- You use this spell through the use of segue
- The cyclic will have a slot for each mana type. One debilitation, one Augmentation, one TM, one Sorcery (Yes, really! Embrace bardic history), one warding.
- When you cast the spell, you're given a score calculated by a combination of your performance, bardic lore, and charisma.
- That score determines how many slots you can fill (not requiring capped skills, but something to work for). 2-3 = low skill, all 6 = fairly high skill (+the sorcery ranks to get those spells off)
- Total mana for all spells is capped at the limit of this spell + a charisma modifier (+1 mana / 10 ranks of charsima)
- It only takes mojo to start it.
- Segue times persist.
- Slots are based on skills the spell teaches.
- Casting a sorcery cyclic while running this cyclic triggers an easter egg. It fills a sorcery slot*.
- The segue will fail (skill message) if you try to cast a spell that attempts to take an already existing slot. IE: Segue to HODI

Example combinations:

10 mana ANCS, calculated score for 1 slots (kind of useless at this level)
- 10 mana CARE (utility)
- 10 mana BOTF (augmentation)
- 10 mana pyre (targeted)

15 mana ANCS, calculated score for 2 slots. (now we're starting to see a little benefit, combo is less power than each individually)
- 7 mana pyre + 8 mana sanctuary
- 5 mana BOTF + 10 mana AEWO (note that you can't double up debil or TM, so you can't cast both pyre and aban or aewo and dalu)

20 mana ANCS, calculated score for 3 slots (still weaker than full-power cyclics, but more options)
- 10 mana pyre + 10 mana GHS (assuming you had the sorcery to pull it off)
- 7 mana pyre + 7 mana GJ + 6 mana BOTF (I don't know why you would, but you could)
- 15 mana sanctuary + 1 mana care + 4 mana hodi (bards would become the safe room)

30 mana ANCS, calculated score for 4 slots (now we're really starting to feel the power - but each spell is still stronger )
- 10 mana pyre + 10 mana GHS (sorcery dependent) + 10 mana BOTF (you couldn't double cast REVE + GHS - they both take a sorcery slot too)
- 20 mana eye + 5 mana pyre + 5 mana BALM (the anti-hider kit)
- 15 mana BOTF + 1 mana care + 14 mana FAE (the I just want to teach in peace kit)

40 mana ANCS, calculated score for 5 slots (you can finally start capping multiple, low-impact spells)
- 20 mana AEWO + 20 mana EYE (both capped)
- 15 mana FAE + 25 mana BOTF (the teacher's friend)
- 25 mana GJ + 15 mana GHS (the anti-csater, 60% power GHS + full power GJ)
- 15 mana FAE + 25 mana HODI

50 mana ANCS (massive skill reqs for a 50 mana cyclic), calculated score for 6 slots (also massive), very high sorcery (because sorcery outside of a friendly domain is hard) and stupidly high attunement to keep it running.
- 20 mana AEWO (cap) + 30 mana ABAN (80% cap, but close)
- 20 mana AEWO (cap) + 20 mana EYE (cap) + 10 mana
- 25 mana GJ + 25 mana GHS (full power warding - still not HP, but nice)

* You have to know the scroll or attempt to unleash an existing scroll to cast it. Options include:
- AD [reflex/balance heal] (sorcery, augmentation, warding),
- GHS [missile/TM defense] (sorcery, warding)
- revelation [+perception, point effect] (sorcery, utility, augmentation)
- ROC/ROG [necro protection - if you wanted to go that route] [utility,sorcery]

GHS and Revelation are likely the only real options, but that kind of fits the RP of this spell. It also doesn't really provide much in the way of power for the bard. Just a neat little perk.