Spell/Training suggestions? 12/07/2018 10:58 PM CST
Trying my hand at a new bard, up to 30th circle now. I want to hunt and craft. Thoughts or suggestions on spells to pick and stats to push?

> spell
You recall the spells you have learned from your training.
In the chapter entitled "Emotion Control", you have notes on the Whispers of the Muse [wotm], Faenella's Grace [fae], and Misdirection [mis] spells.
In the chapter entitled "Sound Manipulation", you have notes on the Demrris' Resolve [dmrs], Drums of the Snake [drum], Eillie's Cry [ecry], and Hodierna's Lilt [hodi] spells.
In the chapter entitled "Elemental Invocations", you have notes on the Breath of Storms [bos] and Caress of the Sun [care] spells.
In the chapter entitled "Analogous Patterns", you have notes on the Gauge Flow [gaf] spells.
You recall proficiency with the magic feats of Raw Channeling.
You have 11 spell slots available.

Strength : 23 Reflex : 20
Agility : 20 Charisma : 10
Discipline : 20 Wisdom : 25
Intelligence : 20 Stamina : 22

Concentration : 356 Max : 356

Favors : 5
TDPs : 547

Thank you in advance!
Re: Spell/Training suggestions? 12/08/2018 01:06 AM CST
Welcome to the guild!

I suggest you pick up Aether Wolves for an easy, cheap Debilitation trainer, followed by Blessings of the Fae for Augmentation, and Glythtide's Joy for Warding. Cycle these last two with Hodi while playing instruments/crafting/braiding for a really easy way to layer magics into your non-combat routine.

You should be aware that Name, Rage, and Harmony will be very tempting (and they will eventually be your bread and butter), but they are very hard to cast and you might want to hold off for now. Rage is the easiest of them so you may want to dip into that first. If you go that route, I suggest Albreda's Balm as the prereq, as this can be nice for moving through creature areas or buying some breathing time.

30th is a great time to pick up some feats. Deep Attunement and Efficient Harnessing are musts given our magic secondary nature. We are always mana hungry. Dedicated Cambrinth is great because our cyclics so often steal our harnessed mana without it. Area Casting is one to consider if you want to aid an area with Hodi, Fae, or BOTF. The Masteries are decent choices at mid levels too because they will seriously increase your ability with our often difficult spells. Injured Casting helps you last longer in combat.

Pyre is our signature great TM cyclic, and although I don't find it useful for training, it's what I always bring out in invasions. Damaris' Lullaby is amazing too and perfect for training Debil (a step up from Aether Wolves).

As for stats, pump Stamina up to around 28-30 to handle most fatigue issues. Then put a strong focus in Reflex, followed by Agility, then Strength (and Discipline if you're training Stealth). These physical stats will give you an edge in combat, help you survive. The mentals aren't really needed until much higher levels, and only then if you PVP a lot. Charisma can be ignored by most guilds, but don't ignore it as a Bard -- but even still, you're early enough that you don't have to worry about it much yet. It will power a lot of your offensive spells though, so keep that in mind.

If you're interested, I've started a Bard Discord server, where a bunch of us hang out, chat, and discuss such questions. For an invite, contact me at Navesi#4950.

- Navesi

The First Land Herald -- Zoluren's newspaper. https://elanthipedia.play.net/The_First_Land_Herald
Re: Spell/Training suggestions? 12/08/2018 01:09 AM CST

Recommendations:

1. Get the mastery feats until you have around 230 in augmentation, warding, and debilitation. Especially augmentation and warding.
2. Drop the mastery feats and get the mana conservation feats when you can cast all of your cyclics. You'll be casting low-preps until then.
3. Get the spells that best augment what you're having problems with now.
- Get Glythtide's joy for training purposes. You'll need Aether Wolves first, which is nice if you need help hitting your primary target with all weapons.
- Get hit or have a difficult time shifting between tiers? Get harmony.
- Still can't hit your targets with drums up? Get Rage and/or Damaris' Lullaby (bread and butter spell, especially at high levels)
- Play a support role for others in your group? BoTF is very nice, as is naming of tears.
- Nexus is decent mana recovery that doesn't use a cyclic spot, if you're staying in a room for a long time.
- Don't like playing instruments but want to use your screams? Get Words of the Wind.
- Do a lot of mining or lumberjacking in areas with annoying creatures? Get Balm. It's also useful if you need to jump up tiers and don't want to deal with multiple targets in the room.

You'll eventually get them all, but for now avoid Sanctuary (hard to cast for full benefit), Eye of Kertigen (except if you want to hunt somewhere dark), Redeemer's Pride (it's training/PvP only), and Desert Maelstrom (expensive and high slot cost for what it does - better at high levels). When it's time to pick an AOE TM, I'd recommend pyre. You have more flexibility on damage type (see will) and it works against undead.
Re: Spell/Training suggestions? 12/08/2018 01:11 AM CST

> Area Casting is one to consider if you want to aid an area with Hodi, Fae, or BOTF.

Won't your support cyclics work without area casting? Same for the pulse to group spells like rage, drums, and pride.
Re: Spell/Training suggestions? 12/08/2018 03:01 AM CST
> Won't your support cyclics work without area casting? Same for the pulse to group spells like rage, drums, and pride.

Without Area Casting, you can still group cast a spell like Hodi, but you can't area cast it.
Re: Spell/Training suggestions? 12/08/2018 09:25 AM CST

> Without Area Casting, you can still group cast a spell like Hodi, but you can't area cast it.

But doesn't it still affect the room if you don't?
Re: Spell/Training suggestions? 12/08/2018 12:59 PM CST
>>But doesn't it still affect the room if you don't?

Nope, it sure doesn't.

- Navesi

The First Land Herald -- Zoluren's newspaper. https://elanthipedia.play.net/The_First_Land_Herald
Re: Spell/Training suggestions? 12/08/2018 02:19 PM CST
I just retested it. Group is implied, and you don't need the feat. This is true for at least HODI, BOTF, FAE, RAGE, DRUM, REPR, and NAME.

You only need to unlock cast area if you want to affect those outside of your group.
Re: Spell/Training suggestions? 12/09/2018 02:30 AM CST
>>You only need to unlock cast area if you want to affect those outside of your group.

I thought that was what we just said. But yes, you have it right. :)

- Navesi