Looking for spell advice 03/02/2018 07:06 PM CST
Hi all, so recently back and it seems I have 6 spell slots just ready for more Bard magic!

84th Circle Bard, 500 magics, 217 Targeted (and rising fast..I know sad!)
---
I currently have:
You recall the spells you have learned from your training.
In the chapter entitled "Fae Arts", you have notes on the Aether Wolves [aewo], Blessing of the Fae [botf], Eye of Kertigen [eye], and Glythtide's Joy [gj] spells.
In the chapter entitled "Emotion Control", you have notes on the Albreda's Balm [alb], Damaris' Lullaby [dalu], Whispers of the Muse [wotm], Faenella's Grace [fae], Rage of the Clans [rage], and Redeemer's Pride [repr] spells.
In the chapter entitled "Sound Manipulation", you have notes on the Demrris' Resolve [dmrs], Drums of the Snake [drum], Eillie's Cry [ecry], Harmony, Hodierna's Lilt [hodi], and Resonance spells.
In the chapter entitled "Elemental Invocations", you have notes on the Breath of Storms [bos], Caress of the Sun [care], and Desert's Maelstrom [dema] spells.
In the chapter entitled "Analogous Patterns", you have notes on the Manifest Force [maf] and Gauge Flow [gaf] spells.

You recall proficiency with the magic feats of Legerdemain, Basic Preparation Recognition, Faster Targeting, Faster Battle Preparations, Alternate Preparation, Focused Preparation, Augmentation Mastery, Debilitation Mastery, Targeted Mastery, Utility Mastery, Cautious Casting, Injured Casting, Raw Channeling, Efficient Channeling, Efficient Harnessing, Cautious Harnessing, Dedicated Cambrinth Use and Area Casting.

You have 6 spell slots available.
---

Left:
Abandoned Heart 3
Aura of Tongues 1
Beckon the Naga 3
Echoes of Aether 2
Nexus 2
Naming of Tears 3
Misdirection 2
Pyre 2
Sanctuary 2
Will of Winter 2
Words of the Wind 2
Soul Ablaze 2

I have held off getting BTN or PYRE yet because of my TM, but only have BOS as a TM spell.

With Targeted only 217...do I need to train it before bothering with either BTN or PYRE?
Re: Looking for spell advice 03/02/2018 08:52 PM CST
If I were you, my next stop would be Naming of Tears. It's one of our key defensive spells, and we don't have many.

After that, one of our Elemental Invocation rituals. For PVE, I typically use either Will of Winter for the +Disc (good for stealth), or Echoes of Aether for the +Attunement (because omg, mana management is hard). Will is also amazing for invasions/PVP, as it provides a truly incredible boost to TM and the icy factor is just cool. When you get one of these, be sure to pick up the Ritual-related feat so you can use a permanent ritual focus.

PYRE is a great choice too because it's probably the best cyclic TM spell in game. It's like our signature big guns. I only recommend getting it later because, as you pointed out, your TM is not all that great yet and it's not particularly needed for training.

You should also know that Legerdemain is best used with Alternate Prep and Silent Prep (together). That way you can use PREP /HIDE and it won't give you the +2-3 second penalty to preparing your spells. I THINK. Not an expert on this, but it's what I did.

I'm surprised to see you don't have Deep Attunement. It's useful for a Bard, since mana can be so rough on us. Focused Preparation, on the other hand, is one you probably don't need.

Other than that you look to be in a pretty good place. AOT is useful for Utility training in combat since it's not combat useful or a cyclic, BTN is downright super fun, Sanctuary can be quite group-friendly or good for exploring places.

- Navesi
Re: Looking for spell advice 03/03/2018 01:19 AM CST

Basically everything Navesi said.

- Get NAME. It's a good damage barrier, and if you aren't backtraining then you'll need it soon.
- Perma learn MAF
- TM Mastery (or will) + PYRE. You can get it started. It may just take you a few failed casts, and the cyclic will help you train TM.
- All four mana feats. Bards are magic secondary, and that means you're going to run out of mana more quickly. Those help. A lot.
- Nexus. More mana is always good. It's better as a passive, but this works too.
- Misdirection, but only if you want to train stealth. If you do, it's an absolute must. The best [single] stealth spell in the game, plus it's an AOE debilitation too.
- ECHO is good too, for the atunement buff, but it is mutually exclusive with Word. If you aren't playing instruments very often, you may want

One thing I would change is this.
- Don't get AOT. It's a low-level trainer, and Gauge Flow is far more useful for training and functional purposes.

I wouldn't recommend...
- ABAN. It's a great spirit attack, but PYRE will kill just as fast for 99.9% of the game. Pyre is cheaper. Pyre works on undead.
- AOT. As I said, it's not a great trainer. No one uses the language options any more. It doesn't justify a spell slot.
- SOUL. Sorcery buff is nice if you work it, but you won't use this in your day-to-day sorcery training since you can use debil/tm spells with minimal risk.
Re: Looking for spell advice 03/03/2018 06:34 AM CST
> - SOUL. Sorcery buff is nice if you work it, but you won't use this in your day-to-day sorcery training since you can use debil/tm spells with minimal risk.

Err, the Sorcery buff is on Echo. Soul is Aug/Debil/Cha.
Re: Looking for spell advice 03/03/2018 08:23 AM CST
Just a note on Pyre. My current Bard got it at around 200ish TM and 340-350 Primary magic and was able to start it at min mana with occasional failures. With 376 Primary and 239 TM he can cast it with no issues at 8 mana.

So with your PM and Target Mastery you should have no problem casting it if you want to.

That said I seldom use it because I train TM & Sorcery together.

I definitely support Name being your next selection though. Every bit of defense helps.
Re: Looking for spell advice 03/03/2018 05:36 PM CST
Wonderful thank you! I figured I was decently set up from before I left, but for the life of me cannot figure out why I took some of what I did...or didn't NAME is one I think I used to have and then figured I didn't need it for some reason.

Feats I thought I was covered, but I think I have to delve back into those, since mana is such a big deal that they may help quite a bit!

I do know I avoided most of the Ritual stuff because I wasn't ready for it yet and it was still fairly new.

I was just out practicing TM and noticed that BOS is failing most of the time. Both critters higher than my TM (280s) and lower (190s) so need to do some more research to figure out what I am doing wrong. I am hoping to do some serious training to get it in line with my other magics.
Re: Looking for spell advice 03/03/2018 06:37 PM CST
BOS is failing in what way? Backfiring or the matrix is falling apart?

If backfiring you're likely putting too much mana into it. If you DISCERN BOS it will give you a general idea of how much mana you can put into it.

If the matrix is failing are you using GJ at the same time? It can cause an outgoing TM matrix to collapse if you don't put in enough mana to overcome the integrity barrier.
Re: Looking for spell advice 03/04/2018 01:38 AM CST
Bah, I cannot believe it, I was prepping the spell and then casting it. I should have been using TARGET instead. Suddenly I can lock it no problem :) funny how doing things correctly makes a difference!

Thanks for DISCERN, I had forgotten about that.
Re: Looking for spell advice 03/06/2018 01:15 AM CST
Wow, I am really sad now that I didn't take PYRE earlier! It is a pretty awesome spell. I love raining fire down on everything in the room. BOF is great for single target TM too...

NAME is really nice as well, I have no idea why I didn't take it before!

Thanks for the advice! I cannot wait to see BTN.