Pyre + meta 05/19/2016 06:35 PM CDT

I'd personally like to see either pyre gaining the ability to negate water damage to worn instruments or a meta spell that can weave caress into pyre so that it works out this way. It already mentions the air warming up to an uncomfortable level "In a low tone you begin to chant the Phoenix's Pyre, as your voice grows you begin to thread it with traces of Fire which quickly agitate the air about you, causing it to warm almost painfully". Alternately, having will of winter up with the meta would negate its ability. Just a thought for those of us that like to hunt and wear wooden instruments.
Re: Pyre + meta 05/19/2016 06:44 PM CDT

I don't think pyre is the right place to put this because you're going to have a hard time playing in combat. However, I do think bards should get a cantrip that magically evaporates water as it lands on an instrument.
Re: Pyre + meta 05/19/2016 07:38 PM CDT
<<I don't think pyre is the right place to put this because you're going to have a hard time playing in combat. However, I do think bards should get a cantrip that magically evaporates water as it lands on an instrument.

This already exists as an AoE zero slot cyclic: Caress of the Sun.

Elanthipedia - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Main_Page
Epedia Admins - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Elanthipedia:Administrators
Re: Pyre + meta 05/19/2016 07:39 PM CDT

> This already exists as an AoE zero slot cyclic: Caress of the Sun.

Yes, but a cantrip would be nice. That way you can use other cyclics when you're not in the mood to be helpful.
Re: Pyre + meta 05/19/2016 07:45 PM CDT
It was nice that when they returned CARE they did it as a 0-slot spell. However, the fact that it is a cyclic makes it nearly useless in practice. When performing, I always have another cyclic up that I can actually learn from.

I do occasionally pop it on for a single pulse to dry myself off, but performing-wise I've just resorted to weatherproof instruments.

- Navesi
Re: Pyre + meta 05/19/2016 07:52 PM CDT
Turn it into a battle duration self-cast pulse to group/area spell.

Elanthipedia - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Main_Page
Epedia Admins - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Elanthipedia:Administrators
Re: Pyre + meta 05/19/2016 08:47 PM CDT
>>It was nice that when they returned CARE they did it as a 0-slot spell. However, the fact that it is a cyclic makes it nearly useless in practice. When performing, I always have another cyclic up that I can actually learn from.

In fairness, you normally can't cast spells (and thus train magic) when playing an instrument. I get why people enjoy cyclics, but part of me wonders if cyclics are preferred less because they're functionally useful and more because they're easy-mode and circumvent certain limitations players would already face.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Pyre + meta 05/19/2016 08:54 PM CDT

> In fairness, you normally can't cast spells (and thus train magic) when playing an instrument.

In fairness, that's a bard perk.

> I get why people enjoy cyclics, but part of me wonders if cyclics are preferred less because they're functionally useful and more because they're easy-mode and circumvent certain limitations players would already face.

If there is a single guild that has a right to ask for more flexibility or potency while using cyclics, it's a bard.
Re: Pyre + meta 05/20/2016 12:05 AM CDT
>>In fairness, you normally can't cast spells (and thus train magic) when playing an instrument.

??

>get triangle
You get a shiny silversteel triangle from inside your instrument case.

>play rondo
You begin a quiet rondo on your silversteel triangle with only the slightest hint of difficulty.

>prep repr 20
That won't affect your current attunement very much.
You trace a curving sigil in the air, shaping the pattern of the Redeemer's Pride spell.

You continue playing on your silversteel triangle.
>cast
You gesture.
You feel indomitable as Redeemer's Pride takes hold of you, bolstering you with unshakeable confidence.

- Navesi
Re: Pyre + meta 05/20/2016 12:17 AM CDT
sJ> play hymn slow
You begin a slow hymn on your bowlback mandolin with only the slightest hint of difficulty.
sJ> prep eotb
You should stop playing before you do that.
sJ> stop play

You stop playing your song.
sJ> prep eotb
Since you're not feeding enough power into the spell pattern to make it coherent, you quickly work your way to the minimum required.
That won't affect your current attunement very much.

With a mnemonic tune in your mind, you trace out the symbols of the Eyes of the Blind spell.

Gonna call that a Bard perk. Albeit one I didn't know about.

Thayet
@thayelf // http://thayette.tumblr.com

"But you must know that if corruption is powerful enough, it's not corruption at all — it's law. Unspoken, unwritten, but law." — Robert Jackson Bennett, City of Stairs
Re: Pyre + meta 05/20/2016 12:47 AM CDT
Yep, add me as another one who didn't realize that was a Bard perk.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Pyre + meta 05/20/2016 01:12 AM CDT
Huh. Well... 6 ranks/circle of Performance is no joke. I need all the help I can get.

- Navesi
Re: Pyre + meta 05/20/2016 04:18 AM CDT
Can we just appreciate the magnificence of a rondo on a triangle?

Re: Life mana Spell preps

You raise your hands in the air. You wave them like you just don't care. Somebody says, "Hey!" Somebody says, "Ho!" Somebody screams.
Re: Pyre + meta 05/20/2016 04:17 PM CDT
>>Can we just appreciate the magnificence of a rondo on a triangle?

Hah. For anyone who doesn't know, according to wikipedia a rondo sounds like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNgJgNk8dto

I use the triangle in DR because it is a) more difficult than the standard lower levels of instrument, b) weatherproof, c) percussion, which means no need to remove any armor. Unfortunately it's not one-handed, but it was the best I could do at my skill level. If I had a better method of weatherproofing, and I didn't have to remove armor, I'd be using my oboe. :(

- Navesi
Re: Pyre + meta 05/20/2016 10:09 PM CDT
>>can we just appreciate the uselessness of the performance skill

Fixed that for you.
Re: Pyre + meta 05/21/2016 05:52 PM CDT
I'm not sure if its a bard perk so much as a "some bard stuff used to require instruments" to be played. I'm not sure which one it is/should be either -- since I was not involved in any design or decisions with Bard 3.0 changes. I did ping Raesh on this one though to see if he knows.

~Evike
Re: Pyre + meta 05/22/2016 03:59 PM CDT

Nooo, please don't steal away our toooyyys!!!
Re: Pyre + meta 05/22/2016 04:28 PM CDT

> Nooo, please don't steal away our toooyyys!!!

Let's be fair here. Bards have so much going for them in this arena, and we all know how over powered performance is. A negligible spirit regeneration while playing. Ungodly money making potential from random passersby tips. That imperceptible spirit regen. With all of those benefits, why do you think they should be able to cast spells too. (/s in case it wasn't obvious)

If this has to be removed, then can we at least wait until bardic abilities are released? I mean, if no one has noticed this in the last 6 years then I doubt it has had much of an effect on game balance.
Re: Pyre + meta 05/22/2016 06:30 PM CDT
>>If this has to be removed, then can we at least wait until bardic abilities are released?

Nah, get rid of it.
Re: Pyre + meta 05/23/2016 04:55 AM CDT

<<This already exists as an AoE zero slot cyclic: Caress of the Sun

Yes but i for one spend my time hunting and work in performance when there are no mobs in the room. It makes it so i dont have to sit around playing while out of combat. It works quite well but my instrument is wooden which means rain will(does) affect it. Heck id even pay slots for a non cyclic instrument protection spell. Or maybe being able to craft some special wax or something that protects your instrument from the elements. Its efficiency could be based on your bardic lore.. at least there'd be a use for it then :p
Re: Pyre + meta 05/23/2016 04:57 AM CDT
Instruments being damaged by weather is honestly kind of an annoying legacy thing. Literally nothing else in the game that I can think of is affected in such a way except like, spellbooks. Why is it still a thing at all?

Thayet

"But you must know that if corruption is powerful enough, it's not corruption at all — it's law. Unspoken, unwritten, but law." — Robert Jackson Bennett, City of Stairs
Re: Pyre + meta 05/23/2016 07:58 AM CDT
> Yes but i for one spend my time hunting and work in performance when there are no mobs in the room.

The concept of a single target "dry this thing" spell cantrip already exists for warrior mages, so I don't think it's too much of a leap for a "dry this instrument" for bards. You could also, maybe, let bards learn cantrips from other guilds. Nothing earthshattering, just simple stuff like the face change cantrip from Moon Mages and a small number from Warrior Mages.

Either way, I like the idea of using sanctuary / Balm mid-hunt to slow down the pace, take a breather, play an instrument, and then go back to mass murder.

> Instruments being damaged by weather is honestly kind of an annoying legacy thing.

I think it's flavor. I wouldn't be in favor of removing it.

> Literally nothing else in the game that I can think of is affected in such a way except like, spellbooks.

Weather effects interact with a lot of systems.

* Rain + Spellbooks, as you mentioned.

* Cloud cover + Predictions.

* Weather + elemental spells (mana efficiency is (or I remember was) affected)

* Does it affect fleas?

Honestly, I think the dynamic environment should have greater effects on the world, not less.
Re: Pyre + meta 05/23/2016 08:24 AM CDT
>>Instruments being damaged by weather is honestly kind of an annoying legacy thing. Literally nothing else in the game that I can think of is affected in such a way except like, spellbooks. Why is it still a thing at all?

Would be neat if instruments were updated to work like crafting tools and degrade from use more than environmental factors.

Re: Pyre + meta 05/23/2016 02:16 PM CDT
>> * Cloud cover + Predictions.

However, my telescope is not damaged if I pull it out in the rain.

>> * Weather + elemental spells (mana efficiency is (or I remember was) affected)

Again, no item damage. It affects the potency in a very minor way. It does not break something or prevent you from using a spell entirely.

>> * Does it affect fleas?

No.

Thayet

Re: Pyre + meta 05/23/2016 02:47 PM CDT

>> However, my telescope is not damaged if I pull it out in the rain.

I haven't played a moon mage in a while, but weren't mobile telescopes damaged if they were left out of their cases or submerged?
Re: Pyre + meta 05/23/2016 02:59 PM CDT
That has not been the case for at least as long as I've been playing Moon Mages. So...pre-2002? Maybe before then it was a thing and I've just never heard of it. If it was, then it was sensibly changed.

Thayet

Re: Pyre + meta 05/23/2016 04:22 PM CDT
I agree that weather effects add flavor, but they can also reach a point where playability is affected.

The only real result of weather damaging my instruments is that I feel compelled to use one of the few weatherproof instruments. Thus even though my Bard has a strong preference toward certain instruments, to train I feel like I have to use the triangle. Turning CARE into a standard cast spell would alleviate this, as would turning off weather damage entirely. Heck, I might even accept the idea of wearing an umbrella (right now they must be held), as long as I could hide it in my inventory.

The point is, I'd like my fantasy Bard character to be able to use an instrument more appropriate to her without worrying about ruining it.

- Navesi
Re: Pyre + meta 05/23/2016 04:24 PM CDT
I think it's be fine if weather hindered playing your instrument a little, with Bards getting a bonus against that effect. I just want instrument damage from weather to go away or be replaced by it being a thing that happens with use rather than weather as someone suggested. Then instrument maintenance becomes a regular thing for everyone instead of people just looking for weatherproof instruments.

Thayet

Re: Pyre + meta 05/23/2016 09:17 PM CDT
>>I just want instrument damage from weather to go away

This. Until never when instruments become useful for some other reason than training useless performance ranks. Then we can be worried about a crafted super rare wood/metal instrument that actually has game economic value being damaged.
Re: Pyre + meta 06/17/2016 03:57 AM CDT

I could make due with a ritual spell or anything non cyclic for keeping instruments dry. I tend to cast sanctuary in combat to pop boxes and such because some area only one one or two good mana room and those go fast. So, if I'm in there I don't want to loose it. It'd be nice if I could cast some sort of caress of the sun effect without having to remove sanctuary. It would just be more useful in my eyes if it wasn't a cyclic.
Re: Pyre + meta 06/20/2016 07:34 AM CDT

I kind of dislike the idea of sanctuary being a 'I was here first and will therefore stay' tool.
Re: Pyre + meta 06/20/2016 07:43 PM CDT

>>I kind of dislike the idea of sanctuary being a 'I was here first and will therefore stay' tool.

So you have a problem with banner of truce and innocence then as well (and to a lesser degree whole displacement and halo), because they have the same, if not similar, effect. The difference is that sanctuary needs enough power to reach that effect here than say... banner of truce, which just works if you cast it. It's not like a 30th circle bard could use it to reach that effect right off the bat in most regular cases. I see no problem with it and think its a nice spell that works as intended (not counting those special spawn mechanic mobs like warlkin). And lets be honest, even if sanctuary wasn't a thing, I for one would stay regardless... as I'm sure every other person would if the hunting was good.
Re: Pyre + meta 06/21/2016 06:22 PM CDT

Yes, though I don't know anyone who uses BoT or Innocence to sit in a hunting ground in that way. But absolutely - I dislike the notion of using a spell to simply hold onto a hunting room.
Re: Pyre + meta 06/23/2016 05:40 AM CDT

>>Yes, though I don't know anyone who uses BoT or Innocence to sit in a hunting ground in that way. But absolutely - I dislike the notion of using a spell to simply hold onto a hunting room.

Seeing as it falls under the scope of what the spell(s) are capable of doing, i don't see anything wrong with it. They're not hurting anyone and as long as they aren't afk scripting for hours, days or weeks on end.. who cares. It's working as intended--hence the name... "sanctuary".
Re: Pyre + meta 06/30/2016 07:54 AM CDT

I recognize it's 'working as intended'. I think barring rescue missions, it's a somewhat silly ability.