What spells are nothing but prereqs for you? 07/17/2015 05:19 PM CDT
I'm not trying to build evidence for a case or push an ideology here; I'm just curious. What spells do you have that serve no purpose in your spellbook other than meeting a prereq? For this question, don't count a spell that you selected as a prereq but have now found some use for, even if you still wouldn't have selected the spell on its own. I'm interested in spells that you never cast.

For myself: GJ (chosen to get BotF), ECRY (chosen to get HODI and DMRS), ALB (chosen to get RAGE) and BOS (chosen to get DEMA and WILL).
Re: What spells are nothing but prereqs for you? 07/17/2015 05:31 PM CDT
<<GJ

I swear it feels like every single bard in the game is constantly using this spell, so there's for sure people picking it for more than just as a prerequisite. I can't go to a gathering spot without either having my ability to manipulate targeting matrices hindered or having a clinging feeling brush past me every 20 seconds. Easily the most annoying Bard spell from a non-Bard perspective.

Elanthipedia - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Main_Page
Epedia Admins - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Elanthipedia:Administrators
Re: What spells are nothing but prereqs for you? 07/17/2015 05:52 PM CDT
>>I swear it feels like every single bard in the game is constantly using this spell, so there's for sure people picking it for more than just as a prerequisite.

Most people take it because it's both the starting spell of a tree and a cyclic Warding spell. I suppose "taken just for the exp" is slightly better than "useless prereq".

>>Easily the most annoying Bard spell from a non-Bard perspective.

Sorry about this. :-/

My list is WOTM, FAE, and BOTF, though it's reasonable to assume I may eventually start to use one or more. I still consider them useful spells that I'm glad to have in my arsenal (although maybe not worth as much to me as the ones I use all the time). I also only use GJ for the Warding experience. I tried using it for its intended purpose but found Lay Ward to be superior.

- Navesi
Re: What spells are nothing but prereqs for you? 07/17/2015 11:17 PM CDT
GJ, AEWO/BOTF, AOT/ECRY, FAE (I use it, because I have it, but wouldn't go out of the way to get it otherwise), ALB/REPR. WOTM, too, if I wanted Misdirection.

Naming of Tears is esoteric, so GJ/REPR have some use as the intro Warding spells, but I don't ever use them now.

I haven't used Aether Wolves since I got Damaris' Lullaby. I also think Desert Maelstrom is a joke now, but it's not a prereq for anything. I guess AEWO is useful for training before you get DALU, though, if you want a Debil cyclic.

I've never used AOT or ECRY, and would have even less reason as a new bard now with HODI teaching utility.

Also, I'm still annoyed that Abandoned Heart is not both TM and Debil anymore.
Re: What spells are nothing but prereqs for you? 07/18/2015 11:43 AM CDT
Bards have a lot of spells that you just outgrow. Moreso than other guilds, I think.

ECRY is a nice spell as a very low level Bard (it really saves training time when performance is very low), AEWO is a really good low level debil.

But once you get a few dozen levels, the return from ECRY is lower. And once you have DALU there is very little reason to ever use AEWO.

I don't have DEMA anymore, but when it was on preview it was just terrible. There would be little reason to ever use it instead of DMRS, even if it did something noticeable.

I'm not really sure why AOT even costs a slot. Its effect is pure RP. I'd like to see it maybe have a charisma buff to it or something to justify it as a slot.

But for the most part bard spells are in a really good place, and I can't wait for the new barriers that are coming (even though it means that OP NAME will be going away).

Don't forget to vote:

http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: What spells are nothing but prereqs for you? 07/18/2015 10:24 PM CDT
These are the spells my bard has -

In the chapter entitled "Fae Arts", you have notes on the Aether Wolves [aewo], Blessing of the Fae [botf], Glythtide's Joy [gj], and Nexus spells.

In the chapter entitled "Emotion Control", you have notes on the Albreda's Balm [alb], Damaris' Lullaby [dalu], Faenella's Grace [fae], and Rage of the Clans [rage] spells.

In the chapter entitled "Sound Manipulation", you have notes on the Drums of the Snake [drum], Eillie's Cry [ecry], Harmony, Hodierna's Lilt [hodi], Naming of Tears [name], and Resonance spells.

In the chapter entitled "Elemental Invocations", you have notes on the Breath of Storms [bos], Caress of the Sun [care], Desert's Maelstrom [dema], Phoenix's Pyre [pyre], Soul Ablaze [soul], and Will of Winter [will] spells.

I use, BotF, Nexus, DALU (my favorite), Rage, Drums, Snake, Harmony, Name, Resonance, Ecry (performance goes faster)/Care (play in the rain!), sometimes dema, and sometimes will.

So, not all that bad. I feel like a lot of bard spells are redundant - we've got like 5 ways to stun critters.

And yes, GJ, can't wait for that sucker to get updated.
Re: What spells are nothing but prereqs for you? 07/18/2015 10:25 PM CDT

Sorry for double post -

To train, I use GJ, BOTF, CARE, DALU, and either BoS or PYRE. I pretty much only use GJ to train Warding. Most bard cyclics are kind of meh by virtue of being cyclic, and a better option being available.
Re: What spells are nothing but prereqs for you? 07/18/2015 10:35 PM CDT
> I use, BotF, Nexus, DALU (my favorite), Rage, Drums, Snake, Harmony, Name, Resonance, Ecry (performance goes faster)/Care (play in the rain!), sometimes dema, and sometimes will.

I don't see AEWO on here. Why do you have it, when BotF covers all of its prereq duties?
Re: What spells are nothing but prereqs for you? 07/19/2015 03:34 PM CDT

I picked up AEWO thinking it'd be useful in PvP or in overhunting. I haven't really had much opportunity to test in PvP, and find it is not terribly useful in overhunting.
Re: What spells are nothing but prereqs for you? 07/19/2015 03:34 PM CDT

I also don't really have anything else in the Bard spellbook that I want, so figured why not?
Re: What spells are nothing but prereqs for you? 10/08/2015 10:41 AM CDT

> These are the spells my bard has -

Coming in a little late (sorry for the necro), but here's my bard:

* Solely pre-reqs: BoS

* Used primarily or almost exclusively for training purposes: REPR, DEMA, GJ, Sanctuary (may change when I can push more mana into it)

* Used occasionally: Nexus, DALU, Balm, WILL, FAE, NAME, CARE (generally prefer metal instruments), HODI, WILL (very niche, but when you need it, you need it. )

* Everyday abilities (functionality wise): WOTM, BOTF, RAGE, Drums, Harmony, Resonance, ECRY, PYRE, ECHO

All in all, I think the bard spellbooks are well designed.