Bardic Confound: Naga? 06/22/2015 07:20 AM CDT
I'm debating between rolling up a new character as either a Moon Mage, Cleric, Warrior Mage, or Bard (hey, I've narrowed it down some) and I haven't played a Bard in a while. For lore/RP purposes, are the Bards still supposed to have this special confound with this unseen race of Naga drawn to sound? Is there anything new on that front? What's the deal with the storyline behind that?
Re: Bardic Confound: Naga? 06/22/2015 07:43 AM CDT
> For lore/RP purposes, are the Bards still supposed to have this special confound with this unseen race of Naga drawn to sound?

The current crop of GMs don't find this to be particularly interesting. They're not retconning it away, but they're also not making a big deal about it.
Re: Bardic Confound: Naga? 06/22/2015 08:44 AM CDT
As I recall from some research I did some years back, the Naga are denizens of the Plane of Elemental Sound, which is beyond (if that even makes sense) the conventional Elemental Planes. This, at least at one time (contingent now upon current GM development), would explain why Bards are elemental-mana users; they draw power from the Plane of Elemental Sound, which passes through the Elemental Planes. As far as I'm aware there isn't any direct connection between the Naga and Bardic magic, other than the fact that they both originate in the same place; that is to say, I don't think it was ever intended that all Bard spells and abilities were Naga-related, so I don't think the Bardic Confound would be "Naga-ness."

I

Kneebiter Zhunee just arrived.
R>
Zhunee glances around the room and says, "Someone pull my finger."
R>
Kneebiter Zhunee runs west.
Re: Bardic Confound: Naga? 06/22/2015 09:02 AM CDT
Naga definitely aren't the Bardic confound, though the Bardic confound isn't terribly well defined right now (Loosely it's the interaction between their magic and music).

As for the Plane of Elemental Sound... I'd be somewhat dubious. Are there any IG references to anything like that (I've been wrong before!)?

-Raesh

"Ever notice that B.A.'s flavor text swells in direct proportion to how much one of our characters is getting screwed?" - Brian Van Hoose
Re: Bardic Confound: Naga? 06/22/2015 09:07 AM CDT
> As far as I'm aware there isn't any direct connection between the Naga and Bardic magic

Keep in mind that a particular naga leaving a particular music box caused all bardic magic to go offline (the 1.0 -> 2.0 conversion). So there's a connection of some sort.

My preference is for our confound to simply be music. There's no reason a confound needs to be supernatural or extraplanar.

I'm also not keen on the existence of a plane of elemental sound. That way lies the semi-elemental plane of ranch dressing.
Re: Bardic Confound: Naga? 06/22/2015 10:02 AM CDT
>> > As far as I'm aware there isn't any direct connection between the Naga and Bardic magic
>> Keep in mind that a particular naga leaving a particular music box caused all bardic magic to go offline (the 1.0 -> 2.0 conversion). So there's a connection of some sort.

The other half of the sentence you quote-mined agrees with you.

>> My preference is for our confound to simply be music. There's no reason a confound needs to be supernatural or extraplanar.

I could be mistaken, but I think that confounds are explicitly intended to be supernatural and/or extraplanar. In any case, I think having "simply music" being a confound is entirely backward from the way confounds are intended to work, which is that they're supposed to be something that only members of a specific guild can access, and "simply music" is accessible to literally everyone, so it wouldn't work.

>> As for the Plane of Elemental Sound... I'd be somewhat dubious. Are there any IG references to anything like that (I've been wrong before!)?
>> I'm also not keen on the existence of a plane of elemental sound. That way lies the semi-elemental plane of ranch dressing.

My source for information since coming back to the game is Epedia, and I can't find anything there about it, but I'll see what I can dig up other places. I do explicitly remember reading (either in written lore or a conversation with another GM) the words "Plane of Elemental Sound," but it's entirely possible that I'm merging two memories or something. For example, it could have just been "Plane of Sound," and "Bards use Elemental magic," and I got my wires crossed. I am fairly sure that it was explained to me at some point however that the place where Naga come from (whatever you choose to call it) was 'beyond' the Elemental planes, and that this somehow related to why Bards used Elemental mana.

I

R>
R>
Re: Bardic Confound: Naga? 06/22/2015 10:22 AM CDT
> I could be mistaken, but I think that confounds are explicitly intended to be supernatural and/or extraplanar. In any case, I think having "simply music" being a confound is entirely backward from the way confounds are intended to work, which is that they're supposed to be something that only members of a specific guild can access, and "simply music" is accessible to literally everyone, so it wouldn't work.

A confound is a non-mana-based ingredient that mages use to simultaneously simplify their spellcasting and broaden its scope. I don't see a problem with bards mixing music with elemental mana for this purpose. Yes, there's no metaphysical reason WMs couldn't learn to do the same, but then there's no metaphysical reason MMs couldn't learn to backstab. It's just a very specialized skill they never bother to learn.
Re: Bardic Confound: Naga? 06/22/2015 10:28 AM CDT
>> A confound is a non-mana-based ingredient that mages use to simultaneously simplify their spellcasting and broaden its scope. I don't see a problem with bards mixing music with elemental mana for this purpose. Yes, there's no metaphysical reason WMs couldn't learn to do the same, but then there's no metaphysical reason MMs couldn't learn to backstab. It's just a very specialized skill they never bother to learn.

Is "Backstab" the Thief confound? It's their special skill, but I don't think it's supposed to be their confound.

According to Epedia, the listed confounds are...
* Clerics — Devotion and attunement to the Spiritual Plane
* Moon Mages — Latent mental link to the Plane of Probability
* Warrior Magess — Attunement to the Elemental Planes
* Bards — Exertion of sound waves and a relationship with the Naga
* Empaths — Empathy
* Necromancers — Thanatological Transference link and (potential) attunement to certain demons
* Paladins — Soul state
* Rangers — Attunement to the forces of nature
* Traders — Starlight Infusion

Those are all far more metaphysical than simply "music." I'm not saying that music couldn't play a role in the Bardic confound, but your suggestion that it "simply be music" really does seem out of place when compared to the others.

I

R>
R>
Re: Bardic Confound: Naga? 06/22/2015 10:42 AM CDT
> Is "Backstab" the Thief confound? It's their special skill, but I don't think it's supposed to be their confound.

Nor do I. NMUs have their own methods, but I think it'd be a stretch to call anything their confound. It's a concept that only really makes sense for mana users. I was just using backstab as an example of a skill that's guild restricted despite there being no obvious reason it couldn't be learned by others.

> Those are all far more metaphysical than simply "music." I'm not saying that music couldn't play a role in the Bardic confound, but your suggestion that it "simply be music" really does seem out of place when compared to the others.

Yep, everyone else's confound has a supernatural component. But since I don't see being supernatural as necessary to filling a confound's role, it's a pattern I'd like to break.
Re: Bardic Confound: Naga? 06/22/2015 11:40 AM CDT
>> Yep, everyone else's confound has a supernatural component. But since I don't see being supernatural as necessary to filling a confound's role, it's a pattern I'd like to break.

I guess I'm just unclear on what your reasoning is for not seeing a supernatural nature as necessary for a confound, given that all extant confounds have some form of supernatural nature. Do you have some post or statement to cite that gives credence to this position?

I

R>
R>
Re: Bardic Confound: Naga? 06/22/2015 12:22 PM CDT
>>I guess I'm just unclear on what your reasoning is for not seeing a supernatural nature as necessary for a confound, given that all extant confounds have some form of supernatural nature. Do you have some post or statement to cite that gives credence to this position?

I agree with ILLIENA when he said, "A confound is a non-mana-based ingredient that mages use to simultaneously simplify their spellcasting and broaden its scope." At least, that is how I have perceived it. According to that statement, there is no reason the confound has to be explicitly supernatural. It does happen that the other guilds' confounds are supernatural, but being supernatural is not written into the definition.

I too would prefer our confound be "simply music". I think of it as a trade secret more than anything else. Anyone can learn to play music but only the Bards have figured out how to weave it into magic in a meaningful way, and they aren't telling anyone else how.

- Navesi
Re: Bardic Confound: Naga? 06/22/2015 12:22 PM CDT
Many confounds are not really well defined right now. Really, only Necromacers, Clerics, Moon Mages, Empaths and Necromancers are solidly defined. Paladins are too - but the lore around what the sanctified soul is isn't really well nailed down.

-Raesh

"Ever notice that B.A.'s flavor text swells in direct proportion to how much one of our characters is getting screwed?" - Brian Van Hoose
Re: Bardic Confound: Naga? 06/22/2015 12:52 PM CDT
>> I agree with ILLIENA when he said, "A confound is a non-mana-based ingredient that mages use to simultaneously simplify their spellcasting and broaden its scope." At least, that is how I have perceived it. According to that statement, there is no reason the confound has to be explicitly supernatural. It does happen that the other guilds' confounds are supernatural, but being supernatural is not written into the definition.

Right, but as you said, "[a]ccording to that statement, there is no reason the confound has to be explicitly supernatural," but the aforementioned statement is the perspective of a person who has no control over the current development of the game. What you're saying here could fairly be boiled down to "my view agrees with my preconceived notions, so it must be correct." It's also worth noting that "non-mana-based" and "non-metaphysical" are far from synonymous. And I'm not saying that you are wrong, I'm just asking for what external justification you have to think this. Currently, 100% of the examples we have for confounds are metaphysical, so it would stand to reason that being metaphysical may very well be a requirement for confounds. It also may not be a requirement, but there's no evidence to support that presently; this leaves us at a dead-end, unless we can bring in some outside evidence to support either position. I'm not trying to be combative here, I just really want to know where this thread of reasoning began.

Statements I've been able to locate that would help define what is or is not a confound:
* Every guild has something that complicates their magic and causes the rules to twist, and these confounding forces often aren't nearly as well understood (or even quantifiable by mortal minds) as mana lines and matrices.
* Confounds aren't really represented with as much nuance in the system as they could be.
* It is when magic interacts with other supernatural powers, called by magical theorists "confounds," that the rules change.
* A "Confound" is a non-magical quality that changes or impacts the result of a spell.
* The final important thing to understand about spellcasting is the existence and pervasiveness of Confounds, or non-magical influences on spellcasting.

So this tells me that a confound is hard understand (or quantify), it is nuanced, and it is supernatural but is not magical.

>> I too would prefer our confound be "simply music". I think of it as a trade secret more than anything else. Anyone can learn to play music but only the Bards have figured out how to weave it into magic in a meaningful way, and they aren't telling anyone else how.

As usual, I think there's some linguistic ambiguity that's causing this confusion. When I read that it should "simply be music," I take that to mean literally only music. What you seem to be describing though sounds to me like "the metaphysical properties of music," which is something I can definitely see being a confound.

I

R>
R>
Re: Bardic Confound: Naga? 06/22/2015 01:32 PM CDT
Step back a moment and ask yourself, why do confounds exist in the game design?

The answer is two fold.

One is that it lets us give additional flavor to the magic of each guild to make them feel distinct.

Two is that it's an additional way to identify signature spells. (The classic example here is Seer's Sense. Mechanically it's not doing anything all that special, and technically it'd work if cast by another guild, but thematically it's all wrong for a non Moon Mage to cast it).

Frankly, the first one is the more important one. We can just call something signature if we feel it should be and that tends to be the end of that discussion.

In an ideal world, this is going to be connected to the Guild specific skills, but this isn't always the case. (Traders will be the prime example of this)

Rangers are a great example here right now. They have a guild skill (scouting), it's not connected to their magic, their confound is some sort of vague "Nature connection" and almost all of their spells feel very lifeless and flat right now. Mechanically, they're fairly sound, but the magic just doesn't feel right for the guild. I have some ideas there - but they're so far down the line (And off topic here) that we'll skip over them for now.

More relevant, Bards are in a similar situation. Their guild skill is very poorly defined, their confound is poorly defined, and mechanically their spells are a bit of a mixed bag. The entire cyclic heavy design hasn't worked out quite as well as I think the initial developers of 3.0 intended. This is why the proper solution for Bards (And Rangers and Paladins as the three primary guilds needing this work) is to have someone step back and really put some thought into the whys and hows of the guild, and use that to inform the design of the guild as a whole - spells, guild ability, confound, etc.

-Raesh

Re: Bardic Confound: Naga? 06/22/2015 01:35 PM CDT
1) A confound is a non-mana-based ingredient that mages use to simultaneously simplify their spellcasting and broaden its scope.

> the aforementioned statement [1] is the perspective of a person who has no control over the current development of the game

It's a description of confounds supported by multiple GM explanations. I could link to the posts on elanthipedia, but you obviously found them, given the list you drew up. Where we get into matters of opinion is my contention that the description captures the essential nature of confounds, and thus we could have a mundane confound. I can construct satisfying head-fiction in which bards mix music with elemental mana to craft spells. That's all I'm claiming.

> As usual, I think there's some linguistic ambiguity that's causing this confusion. When I read that it should "simply be music," I take that to mean literally only music. What you seem to be describing though sounds to me like "the metaphysical properties of music," which is something I can definitely see being a confound.

I think you're drawing a distinction where I don't see one.

Elemental mana is best for manipulating rock. Is this a statement about the nature of rock or the nature of elemental mana?

Similarly: Music is an inherently elemental phenomenon, which is why elemental mana can mix with it in ways no other mana type could*. Is this a statement about the nature of music or the nature of elemental mana? /shrug. I don't find the question to be a meaningful one.

So yes, I want the confound to be mundane music. And I want it to work because of the unique interaction of elemental mana and music. Saying that it works because of the metaphysical properties of music would be an entirely accurate description.

* This is an old statement of either Rigby or Valdrik, from 10+ years ago. Obviously, it should no longer be taken as authoritative.
Re: Bardic Confound: Naga? 06/22/2015 07:55 PM CDT
>>The current crop of GMs don't find this to be particularly interesting. They're not retconning it away, but they're also not making a big deal about it.

Oh ... um. I'm a little disappointed. Couldn't it be incorporated into something else. "Hey, those Naga are actually [[insert other theory]] and you just called them Naga because of your understanding of them was flawed until [[X]]"

>>Naga definitely aren't the Bardic confound, though the Bardic confound isn't terribly well defined right now (Loosely it's the interaction between their magic and music).

Oh good! So . . . what are the Naga?

>>As I recall from some research I did some years back, the Naga are denizens of the Plane of Elemental Sound, which is beyond (if that even makes sense) the conventional Elemental Planes.

Would be interested if Bards got their own Elemental Plane that frustrated Warrior Mages since they can't access it. Isn't the Electric Plane the only one that's supposed to actually have 3 dimensional space? Well what if Bards have access to the only Elemental Plane with sound?

>>There's no reason a confound needs to be supernatural or extraplanar.

Except most (all?) other confounds are supernatural, even if they aren't fleshed out that well, to explain what makes the Guild special. Otherwise anyone with a harpsichord wants Bardic spells and abilities.

>>I agree with ILLIENA when he said, "A confound is a non-mana-based ingredient that mages use to simultaneously simplify their spellcasting and broaden its scope." At least, that is how I have perceived it. According to that statement, there is no reason the confound has to be explicitly supernatural. It does happen that the other guilds' confounds are supernatural, but being supernatural is not written into the definition.

Ugh ...

https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Confound#Confounds

Armifer:

"Every guild has something that complicates their magic and causes the rules to twist, and <strong>these confounding forces often aren't nearly as well understood (or even quantifiable by mortal minds) as mana lines and matrices.</strong>"

Sounds far more than "mundane."

"It is when magic interacts with <strong>other supernatural powers</strong>, called by magical theorists "confounds," that the rules change. Clerics call down blessings and damnation through direct interaction with the gods. Moon Mages cheat fate and physics through their interaction with the Plane of Probability. Necromancers defy death itself and raise their minions through an unholy use of mankind's latent empathic powers. And so on."

Supernatural powers.

"All magic users have a confound, a force or attribute that is not itself magical but impacts how they use magic. Empathy is the Empath confound, just as Devotion is the Cleric confound. It's one of the major things that separates the single discipline of magic use into so many shapes and sizes."

You can argue that you'd like to see Bardic musical abilities as just a "trade secret" but that lowers Bardic abilities down to the level of Thief-y sneakiness and stealth and takes away any sort of special, supernatural power. And sure, Bardic Lore and some Bardic abilities could or should just be based on that. But that doesn't deal with the magic/confound end of the spectrum.

>>Really, only Necromacers, Clerics, Moon Mages, Empaths and Necromancers are solidly defined. Paladins are too - but the lore around what the sanctified soul is isn't really well nailed down.

Is this a clue about the new Necromancers Guild? :-)

Isn't that just a longer way of saying "Rangers, Warrior Mages, and Bards are the ones not solidly defined" (Well and Traders, and isn't that still in development)? And Rangers are magic/supernatural tertiary, and at least have the rest of their guild (the Guild specific side) cleshed out.

And even if the Warrior Mage system doesn't seem solidly defined to you, as an outside player looking through the glass it looks rather fleshed out. Far more than Bards ...

So you have two groups. Some, like Traders and Rangers, have clear separate between magic/confound and their Guild specific skill. Others, like everyone else but Bards, have a link between their magic/confound and their Guild specific skill. I guess my question is why is a Lore primary, magic/supernatural secondary guild the one that seems least fleshed out. Because at least for Rangers and Traders their Guild specific skill is pretty well fleshed out. Bards are still awkward on that front too.

Bards DON'T need their Guild specific skill to be directly linked to their confound (they can be in the same box as Traders and Rangers). But it would be nice if they at least had some confound going on.

>>The entire cyclic heavy design hasn't worked out quite as well as I think the initial developers of 3.0 intended.

Oh? I left right in the middle of 3.0 being rolled out ...

I've had my thoughts on Bards, their supernatural realm, etc. for a while, but I was actually thinking of trying to move away from the Guild ...
Re: Bardic Confound: Naga? 06/22/2015 08:30 PM CDT
>> Would be interested if Bards got their own Elemental Plane that frustrated Warrior Mages since they can't access it. Isn't the Electric Plane the only one that's supposed to actually have 3 dimensional space? Well what if Bards have access to the only Elemental Plane with sound?

Given that I was the one who brought "elemental plane" into this conversation, I feel obligated to jump in here and try to stem the potential route this is going; it appears that either a) "Elemental Plane" was a confluence of two memories, or b) it was originally intended as a metaphor and is muddling the situation by appearing literal. In any case, I've been unable to find anything to back up my recollection, but I did find a few things that I think account for it. What we do know about naga from released information is that they are not Elementals, but they are from somewhere that's not the Plane of Abiding, and that 'somewhere' may have some sort of indeterminate relationship to the elemental planes. The naga also have the ability to manipulate mana (Elemental mana specifically, perhaps) through use of sound, which is why Bards tend to cross paths with them. They could (could, mind you) be from some sort of 'plane of sound,' but it apparently isn't an elemental plane.

I

R>
R>
Re: Bardic Confound: Naga? 06/22/2015 08:40 PM CDT
>> Is this a clue about the new Necromancers Guild? :-)

Necromancers arguably have two confounds, sooo... Heh?

Bards seem to be super into aether as an element moreso than Warrior Mages if I had to pin them to any particular planar thing, but I suppose that's sort of done already.

Thayet
Follow @thayelf on Twitter for absolutely nothing of any value whatsoever!
Re: Bardic Confound: Naga? 06/22/2015 09:02 PM CDT
>>Oh good! So . . . what are the Naga?

Darn good question. When I first started work on the Bard guild years ago that was one of the bullet points I had. If that's still the answer we're going with is another question.

Essentially they're a weird piece of lore from the Rigby era of development that was never really explained or documented in any meaningful way (At least not that has survived to current day).

>>Would be interested if Bards got their own Elemental Plane that frustrated Warrior Mages since they can't access it.

Sound is not an element. Bards experience the elements in a fundamentally different way then Warrior Mages, however they do dabble a bit in more direct invocations. (In fact, there's an entire spellbook for that!)

>>Mundane Music

While there is certainly a musical and/or lyrical aspect of the Bardic confound (In as much as we've defined it), I wouldn't call it mundane. There's something different about a Bard's music vs anyone else's. And that's almost certainly tied to the final form Bardic Lore will find itself in.

>>Bards seem to be super into aether as an element moreso than Warrior Mages if I had to pin them to any particular planar thing

While Warrior Mages access elements roughly equally, Bards are decidedly skewed. In rough order of easiest to hardest for a Bard to manipulate:

Air
Aether
Water
Fire
Earth
Electricity

-Raesh

Re: Bardic Confound: Naga? 06/22/2015 09:47 PM CDT
>> When I first started work on the Bard guild years ago... Essentially they're a weird piece of lore from the Rigby era of development

This actually sparked a memory fragment; I think it may have actually been you that told me that they were "creatures of elemental sound" or some such, but I think - now that I'm piecing it together - that this was couched in the understanding that it was a bit of old phraseology from a former developer. It could have been someone other than you, but I'm nearly certain that I was told this, by someone who was actively working on Bards. But memory is a funny thing, of course.

>> While there is certainly a musical and/or lyrical aspect of the Bardic confound (In as much as we've defined it), I wouldn't call it mundane.

That's what I was getting at as well; I have no issue with music being a part - a central part, even - of the Bard confound, but calling it "simply music" or "mundane music" I feel loses focus on what a confound is.

I

R>
R>
Re: Bardic Confound: Naga? 06/22/2015 10:53 PM CDT
>>>>Would be interested if Bards got their own Elemental Plane that frustrated Warrior Mages since they can't access it.

>>Sound is not an element. Bards experience the elements in a fundamentally different way then Warrior Mages, however they do dabble a bit in more direct invocations. (In fact, there's an entire spellbook for that!)

BUT if you were to go down the pathway, you'd rather have Naga limited in being only able to manipulate Elemental Mana, rather than opening the door to them being God-like extra-planar beings that enable Bards to also manipulate Lunar, Holy, and Life Mana . . .

But if you're going down that pathway anyway don't let me stop you :-)

>>While Warrior Mages access elements roughly equally, Bards are decidedly skewed. In rough order of easiest to hardest for a Bard to manipulate:

>>Air
>>Aether
>>Water
>>Fire
>>Earth
>>Electricity

So I'd say everything makes rough sense except for Electricity. It seems like an entity that would be welcome up on the Air/Aether end of things.

Take away Aether and Electricity and it feels like the spectrum from least to most dense, right?

But maybe Aether and Electricity are where they should be for density? Aether relative to Air makes sense. Not sure about Electricity.
Re: Bardic Confound: Naga? 06/22/2015 11:00 PM CDT
You're thinking about the elements too literally. Also, I could list them like this and it would, perhaps, be more accurate:

Air/Aether/Water
Fire
Earth/Electricity

The difference in each tier are much smaller than the gaps between the tiers.

Bards tend to embody metaphysical properties of the elements. When they use magic that calms and soothes and heals, that's usually water based (Though see Will of Winter for a rather different take on water in the Bard spellbooks). Sparking anger or other strong emotions is an aspect of Bardic fire magic.

If you look at the Bardic spellbooks:

Fae Arts -- These are almost all aether based.
Emotion Control -- These are mostly water based, with some fire in there too.
Sound Manipulation -- These are largely air based, though you have some tracers of other elements.
Elemental Invocations -- I like to think of this as the "Warrior Mage" spellbook. This is where you find the bulk of Earth, Fire and Electricity spells.

-Raesh

Re: Bardic Confound: Naga? 06/22/2015 11:12 PM CDT
>>You're thinking about the elements too literally. Also, I could list them like this and it would, perhaps, be more accurate:

>>Air/Aether/Water
>>Fire
>>Earth/Electricity

>>The difference in each tier are much smaller than the gaps between the tiers.

Totally, but depending on what cosmology the game's based on someone's got to wonder if Electricity somehow has access to other worlds like Vacuum, Steam, Salt, Mineral, Dust, Radiance and Ash. Don't think that's DR's cosmology, but you never know ... :)

Doesn't really line up with Sound though.

I'll say that to the layman, Earth-Electricity is a match that seems confusing.
Re: Bardic Confound: Naga? 06/22/2015 11:16 PM CDT
>>Totally, but depending on what cosmology the game's based on someone's got to wonder if Electricity somehow has access to other worlds like Vacuum, Steam, Salt, Mineral, Dust, Radiance and Ash. Don't think that's DR's cosmology, but you never know ... :)

This isn't Planescape.

But at the same time, the elemental planes were not all discovered at the same time, leading to the possibility that there are other cosmic elements to find. Whether that can be realized / will actually happen is left to the reader's imagination.

-Armifer
"Perinthia's astronomers are faced with a difficult choice. Either they must admit that all their calculations were wrong ... or else they must reveal that the order of the gods is reflected exactly in the city of monsters." - Calvino Italo
Re: Bardic Confound: Naga? 06/22/2015 11:27 PM CDT
>>But at the same time, the elemental planes were not all discovered at the same time, leading to the possibility that there are other cosmic elements to find. Whether that can be realized / will actually happen is left to the reader's imagination.

But it's nice that the in-game lore at least nods to the possibility of other Elemental Planes. So what part, if any, do Bards play in it? Was thinking that it might be nice to keep the door open to "left to the reader's imagination" more than the "not nobody, not no-how." But also, in respect to established Warrior Mage conventions, why it might be best to keep the Bardic side to "Are they seeing visions of the same Elemental Planes, but from a different perspective?" as an option to limit anything new under the sun (and then some) they get to experience versus the magic primary Guild.
Re: Bardic Confound: Naga? 06/23/2015 03:08 AM CDT
>>I'll say that to the layman, Earth-Electricity is a match that seems confusing.

It's not so much that they're paired as Bards don't tend to heavily utilize either of them.

-Raesh

Re: Bardic Confound: Naga? 06/23/2015 04:04 AM CDT
>"Are they seeing visions of the same Elemental Planes, but from a different perspective?"

Bards have no attunement to the elemental planes themselves so basically they don't deal with them. Warrior mages go around literally looking into the planes and ripping out small and someitimes intellegent peices of them. Bards are dealing with elementalism at a greater physical and philosophical distance.

Warrior mages have a high powered microscope (which is also a laser and has a knife strapped to it), bards are sitting back taking in the view.

>Forgive my snark, but welcome to the life of a warrior mage.
Re: Bardic Confound: Naga? 06/23/2015 07:24 AM CDT
>>Warrior mages have a high powered microscope (which is also a laser and has a knife strapped to it), bards are sitting back taking in the view.

I very much tried to convey in my other posts the difference here and that I recognize it, although maybe it was missed by some. The idea that in some very specific situations the physical reality around the Bard seems more real than normal, and that even then it's not clear what's going on, as a proposal, would be the limited extent of any interactions I'd propose for bringing together the lore on Bards. Past Bardic magic clearly had a role for the summoning of intelligence creatures from some other plane. Although again I think it's not clear if the Bard is summoning them to this plane, or if they were already here and is just attracting them.
Re: Bardic Confound: Naga? 06/23/2015 01:49 PM CDT
>> the physical reality around the Bard seems more real than normal

This is, believe it or not, a Moon Mage thing, in terms of physical perception of the world.

I don't think Bards were ever meant to really summon anything deliberately, just attract them, even in the old days. The Elemental Planes aren't "places" anyway, so while I get the spirit of what you're going for it doesn't really gel with the setting as-is.

Thayet
Follow @thayelf on Twitter for absolutely nothing of any value whatsoever!
Re: Bardic Confound: Naga? 06/23/2015 04:59 PM CDT
>I don't think Bards were ever meant to really summon anything deliberately, just attract them, even in the old days. The Elemental Planes aren't "places" anyway, so while I get the spirit of what you're going for it doesn't really gel with the setting as-is.

This is basically what I recall. Unfortunately, as has been pointed out a lot of the information on Naga wasn't recorded for the Ws, -- so a lot of what we have is just well, stuff.

The problem -- and touching back on before where someone said the current GMs weren't ... interested? was it in the Naga lore.. is that there's nothing really that makes sense for it. Yes, it was a thing we HAD, but why (again we have only so much to go on). And then we get into, ok, aside from being a thing that shows up and you can go "Oh neat, a NAGA!" what does it DO?

Hearing the ideas and thoughts you guys have on this is really interesting though, so keep sharing and discussing.

~Evike
Re: Bardic Confound: Naga? 06/23/2015 06:53 PM CDT
>>I don't think Bards were ever meant to really summon anything deliberately, just attract them, even in the old days. The Elemental Planes aren't "places" anyway, so while I get the spirit of what you're going for it doesn't really gel with the setting as-is.

What do you mean? They are Planes. They exist. They aren't here, they are there.

Are you meaning that they aren't actual places you travel to and explore? Certainly, although at least the Plane of Electricity has "space" that makes it more of a "place" than the other Planes.

What I think I'd like to see in Bardic Lore is the same level of absurdity from Albaum's narrative of meeting dragons. It's partially true, but who knows what random things he added. Bards are supposed to be storytellers. So the background should contain some stuff that's obviously not true, some stuff that seems to reflect a truth, and some things that aren't exactly clear.

At the end of the day, I'd say it's challenging figuring out what to do with the Naga as creatures that normally exist outside of the normal world, have them manipulate in some way elemental mana, but make them distinct from the Elemental Planes.
Re: Bardic Confound: Naga? 07/02/2015 12:37 PM CDT

>[Earth-Electricity] It's not so much that they're paired as Bards don't tend to heavily utilize either of them.

Sorry to be a week late to the party but - BoS?
Re: Bardic Confound: Naga? 07/02/2015 12:45 PM CDT
>>>[Earth-Electricity] It's not so much that they're paired as Bards don't tend to heavily utilize either of them.

>>Sorry to be a week late to the party but - BoS?

I think the issue is relative. One electric based spell for Bards as elemental mages. Warrior Mages have an entire book of six spells, plus other abilities.

Which I think thematically makes sense. For all of the Guilds that share a mana type it's important to showcase different approaches to the use of the same mana.

Just reminds me that I still wish we could have cambrinth instruments that can be performed through the manipulation of elemental mana. Or an aether based Theremin.
Re: Bardic Confound: Naga? 07/02/2015 12:57 PM CDT
>> >[Earth-Electricity] It's not so much that they're paired as Bards don't tend to heavily utilize either of them.

>> Sorry to be a week late to the party but - BoS?

It's not so much that they're paired as Bards don't tend to heavily utilize either of them.

I

"I don't know if this is the right folder because the forums are a quagmire of hate and sadness." - Thayet
Re: Bardic Confound: Naga? 07/02/2015 02:59 PM CDT
This is also part of why I'm conflicted as BoS as the baseline TM spell for Bards.

Ultimately, I'm okay with it. I'd be much less okay if it was in a different spellbook.

-Raesh

Re: Bardic Confound: Naga? 07/02/2015 05:52 PM CDT
Bards are cool.

(Insert plug for Call of the Siren so I can start another Bard.)
Re: Bardic Confound: Naga? 07/07/2015 05:51 PM CDT
"At the end of the day, I'd say it's challenging figuring out what to do with the Naga as creatures that normally exist outside of the normal world, have them manipulate in some way elemental mana, but make them distinct from the Elemental Planes."

Why not follow the history and origins of naga?

The real world naga philosophy: Phaya Naga, mythical creatures believed to live in the Laotian stretch of the Mekong River.

So... okay we change it a little bit make it more DR themed.

Naga mystical creatures believed to live in the mana streams of the prime plane. Not truly creatures of the elemental plane, and not truly creatures of the prime one. Only Bards who can see the whole elemental picture can really sense their presence.

I believe this shoulders up with the fact that Naga are highly involved with the spells Nexus and Naga's Blessing and the information that I believe someone once said to me was that the Naga in a Box was like the Vatican Pope in a box. The box protects the naga from the outside world. Bringing the naga unprotected into prime plane would destroy the naga, was my understanding.

My thoughts are that Naga themselves are made from either elemental mana or a combination of all manas, that comes from riding the streams. Therefore if you brought them to prime unprotected they'd get eaten up in the first spell you cast.

What else do bards have that are boxes?

Oh. Right, stringed instruments like the viol. Now maybe... once enchanting came around we were supposed to be able craft and enchant our stringed instruments into boxes like the one that GMNPC bard had. Wasn't Nexus and Naga's blessing once changed to stringed only?

I believe the naga were also supposed to tie in with instrument bonding somehow. They were going to appear more often upon a fully bonded instrument. Would a fully bonded instrument be capable of shielding a naga so that it could live in harmony with a bard on the prime plane?

I'm squeezing this out of my brain from a conversation over 10 years ago. I think someone wanted to do or aluded to doing something similiar to the Gods and their aspects. Which leads me to remember...
There is also Shekinestra from DnD. Which had 3 aspects, much like our deities do. Water, mirror, and mask.
So the opera mask, a mirror, and water elemental powers. Hmmm... Bards do tend to be pretty vain, getting as fluffy as empaths at times. Maybe the mirror could be thought of as a deflection or protection spell?

Hindu, Laos, or Javan or some combination of all three? Am I remembering correctly that in the early version of Naga's Blessing, naga appeared to be winged?

It might be that there are many different named Naga that bards can find and friend through different quests? I believe there was a consensus of bards having more in game lore quests at the time all of this was being discussed.

Okay, I've given you what I remember. Go run with it.
Re: Bardic Confound: Naga? 07/07/2015 06:42 PM CDT
Interesting proposal, I'm not familiar enough with IRL naga lore.

I would be curious what the idea was behind picking a non-western mythical creature and how much they were borrowing real world mythology versus just picking the name as a shell.
Re: Bardic Confound: Naga? 10/08/2015 10:13 AM CDT
Oh man, Raesh. You left out the seventh element, which is arguably the most musical.
Re: Bardic Confound: Naga? 10/09/2015 08:17 AM CDT
I also happened upon this line from Treatise on the Elements, book II.

Note that not all magic beings would be defined as elementals, merely those comprised solely of elemental mana; Nagas, for instance, are beings composed of pure magic and sound, classifying them as a magic creature, but they are not elementals.