New Player Help with Spells and Feats 06/08/2015 02:06 PM CDT
So, I've been trying out different guilds.

Between Moonmage, Cleric, and Bard, I think Bard fit me the most.

My biggest struggle is figuring out what spells I should really get and what feats I should really get. Seeing as bards have significantly less spells slots than either a cleric or a moonmage, I'm having trouble fitting in the things I need.

Here's what I've considered as my progression. The only bad part is it didn't take into account feats, which I figure I'll at least need magic theorist if I want to become competent in sorcery.

1: Ellie's Cry + Caress of the Sun (Ecry seemed help for performance training. CARE was free)
2: Glythtide's Joy (GJ. Picked this up to start training warding. Seems useful for defense against spell casters and it opened up Aetherwolves, BOTF, and Sanctuary)
5: Aether Wolves (Drop at 20) - Using this to train debilitation until I get Damaris' Lullaby. Figured I didn't need both)
7: Hodierna's Lilt (This seems like an ideal spell for running in combat at low levels. Probably retains it's usefulness)
12: Drums of the Snake (I like stealing, stealth, and lockpicking. Figured an agility bonus and lockpick bonus was useful)
20: Damaris' Lullaby (Seemed like a great debilitation spell) + Blessing of the Fae (Liked this for the party utility and attunement bonuses) + Breath of Storms (Got this for training TM and for the Pyre req. Using Stra scroll until up to this point)
30: Harmony - (Not a lot of defensive buffs. Figured this one was important to get)
36: Resonance - (Between resonance and rage of clans, they seemed like ideal combat buffs)
57: Phoenix's Pyre (Got this for the AoE damage and TM training)
60: Albreda's Balm (Got this mainly to open up Rage of Clans and Soul Ablaze - Still AoE calm might be useful for mining or hasty retreats)
66: Rage of Clans (Seemed like an important buff)
72: Sanctuary (I liked the idea of using this for mining to keep creatures from spawning, and being able to do stuff in battle areas without having to leave)
81: Naming of Tears (Seemed like a barrier might be important to have)
84: Whispers of the Muse (I would like to become a good crafter in my instance. I figured this would be required)
93: Misdirection (I like stealth and stealing. Seems an ideal support for it)
99: Soul Ablaze - (Charisma boost + increase in buff and debuff effectiveness. I thought it'd be useful)
105:
110: Will of Winter (Just for the discipline bonus, TM bonus, and the damage type change for the odd fire resistant creature)
115: Feat?
120: Feat?
130: Feat?
135: Feat?
140: Feat? Abandoned Heart?
145: Feat?
150: Feat?

What can I drop/change? Why? What feats should I be trying to fit in? I feel very constrained by the spell slot limit and feel like I'm planning ineffectively. I feel that I may be missing out on important tools in the feat system.

Advice, opinions, criticisms, all are welcome and appreciated. Thank you.
Re: New Player Help with Spells and Feats 06/08/2015 02:35 PM CDT
Aura of the Tongues isn't a very useful spell, but it's the best Utility trainer for Bards so I would recommend picking it up. As for feats I'd recommend most of the Attunement feats, Improved Memory, and Magic Theorist for scrolls and Sorcery.
Re: New Player Help with Spells and Feats 06/08/2015 03:53 PM CDT
First of all, let me say that this is a very well planned out list. You've noticed almost all the important factors.

Before I go on, though, you may want to check your math. I'm at 82nd circle and I have all but one of the spells you list for that level (Resonance), plus Misd, WOTM, AOT, Echo, Will, several feats, and 2 spell slots. Something must be off. The good news is that it seems you'll have more slots to play with.

Your early progression looks great. You get all the key cyclic training aids early, plus the useful low level spells. You've got a handle on the STRA tactic and taking AEWO temporarily is a great idea. Gunning for Harmony is good too.

>>36: Resonance - (Between resonance and rage of clans, they seemed like ideal combat buffs)

I would get RAGE first. Resonance is a little finicky what with casting on the weapon itself, and it doesn't have the nice group effect. PYRE is also important relatively early. It's a nice, easy way to get TM experience, and it's useful when you're going up against certain harder creatures because you'll kill/stun them all. I've found it to be a better "debilitator" than DALU actually. Finally, NAME is great (especially right now, before the barrier review). Fill out those combat buffs.

>>60: Albreda's Balm (Got this mainly to open up Rage of Clans and Soul Ablaze - Still AoE calm might be useful for mining or hasty retreats)

Balm is also useful for training Debil in combat, especially on critters who will tear you apart, as it gives you a breather from at least 3 of them. Again, I've found this to work better than DALU on those tough critters.

>>72: Sanctuary (I liked the idea of using this for mining to keep creatures from spawning, and being able to do stuff in battle areas without having to leave)

This is a great spell, but keep in mind that it will take a lot of skill to use the anti-clairvoyance and anti-hiding effects. At around 420 Utility + Utility mastery I was able to reliably start using the no-hiding effect.

Also, using Sanc during mining is a great idea, but keep in mind you could alternatively use PYRE, kill everything as you mine and just pick up all the loot. :)

>>110: Will of Winter (Just for the discipline bonus, TM bonus, and the damage type change for the odd fire resistant creature)

WILL is what I use right now in combat because the Disc bonus helps me hide. I also really like ECHO for the +Attunement.

>>As for feats I'd recommend most of the Attunement feats,

This x10. As a magic secondary, you will not be regenerating mana as quickly, and you will feel it. Deep Attunement, Efficient Channeling, and Efficient Harnessing are all recommended. Dedicated Cambrinth is also a must, because it will keep your cyclics from stealing your cambrinth mana while you are preparing a non-cyclic spell.

For other feats, you may want Area Casting (requires Augmentation Mastery) if you want to be able to affect people outside of your group with HODI, BOTF, and FAE. Once you get your first ritual, you will probably want Improvised Rituals to keep from having to manage the powder. Finally, if you go with BOS rather than PYRE for TM, you might want Faster Targeting to be able to throw them out more quickly, and thus earn that exp more quickly. There are a few others you might consider if you're going for PVP, but I'm guessing you're not -- though I'm happy to advise there too if you want.

Good luck and welcome to the guild!

- Navesi
Re: New Player Help with Spells and Feats 06/08/2015 04:06 PM CDT
>> Navesi

Wow, that was really thorough feedback! Thank you so much.

I might have confused myself at some point with the spell slots. I'll rewrite my plan with your suggestions and see how it turns out.

Just clarifying, are you recommending that I don't take Damaris' Lullaby?

>>The good news is that it seems you'll have more slots to play with.

Your right. The spell slots on the Bard Ability Chart on Elanthipedia are waaay off.
Re: New Player Help with Spells and Feats 06/08/2015 04:09 PM CDT
Early on bards have so many useful spells to choose that it doesn't really matter the order you go in. You'll get everything eventually.

That said, I will comment about a few spells.

Spells I don't recommend:

* AEWO. It's okay. Misdirection will train debilitation and do more for you at the low levels. You can pick up a burden scroll early on to fill the gaps. FAE will help you read it.

* ABAN. has great aesthetics and a history of being incredible, but practically it's Pyre's ugly step cousin. It doesn't work against undead. It can't be modified by will.

* WORD. I used to rave about this spell, until I just realized I was doing it wrong. It's a lot of slots for something you don't really need.

* BOTF. Don't get me wrong. This is a must get spell, but it's not really worth the slots until you can pick up the cast area feat.

* AOT. There is no reason to get this spell unless it's for RP purposes. It really should be 0 slots. That would open up you to more feats and you could save eCry for symbiosis. That said, it's just useless right now.

* REPR. The only reason to get pride is that you want a symbiosis warding spell.

* BALM. I don't really see a point in an AOE calm. You have sanctuary and warhorns to keep creatures out, and DALU to help you hit them. I'm sure someone has a reason to put this back on the spell list, but I don't have it.

* DEMA. This spell is a shadow of it's former glory. It used to be incredible. Now... it hurts. It's just a 3 slot pulsing discipline debuff. Sure, there's a balance debuff in there, but creatures recover their balance too quickly for it to matter.

* DMRS. 4 slots for a stun/knockdown. I've had this outright fail on undead, and it seems to be a difficult spell to pull off. If you're going to get it, find it on a scroll and use HODI for pre-reqs.

Staples. Must get. Prioritize above the rest (excluding the obvious low-level spells you'll because you have to)

* DALU: Absolutely fantastic. Your go-to debilitation spell.

* Harmony: Must have spell. Your primary defensive spell.

* NAME: (changing) your go to warding spell, and it's apparently one of the strongest in the game.

* RAGE: A cheap offensive spell. Get this early.

* RESONANCE: Another good offensive spell. Couple with rage. It'll make you hit harder and learn faster. Good spells.

* FEATS: Efficient channelling is a must. Efficient harnessing is highly recommended. Sorcerous patterns and magic theorist are mandatory if you're doing sorcery spells, and improved memory can be worth as much as 5 slots (temporarily learn something from your own guild that you don't have the slots at the time for - ie: harmony. Just don't die, and find a cleric if you do). Around 250 magics or so you're going to want symbiotic research.

Notes: BoTF and FAE and other AOE spells aren't really great until you get the area casting feat. This lets you "cast area" which helps everyone. Until then, it's just you and sometimes your group. Group supporter is also nice in this area, and you can provide some excellent support this way.
Re: New Player Help with Spells and Feats 06/08/2015 04:18 PM CDT
@Volcanus

Some really in depth feedback! I really appreciate. Thank you very much!
Re: New Player Help with Spells and Feats 06/08/2015 04:34 PM CDT
>>Wow, that was really thorough feedback! Thank you so much.

You're welcome. :)

>>Just clarifying, are you recommending that I don't take Damaris' Lullaby?

No, absolutely take it. It's a great spell, and very useful against creatures that aren't that tough. For tough creatures (those that injure me quickly), I use PYRE + ALB, and for less tough, I use PYRE + DALU. DALU will let 3 keep hitting you rather than just 1 from ALB, so basically the two spells give you ways to control your engagements.

Also, for what it's worth, I largely agree with VOLCANUS's suggestions too, with a few minor differences:

>>* BALM. I don't really see a point in an AOE calm.

I already explained why I like Balm, but here's another reason: it lets you explore areas without worrying about creatures. Neither Sanctuary nor warhorns do this. But mainly I like it for the taking-out-3-creatures-in-combat aspect.

>>DEMA & DMRS

I haven't tried these yet, but they are also low on my list. They do both seem costly for not much effect. I do plan to get DMRS at least though, if only for a quick way to get creatures on the ground if I want (for fast retreating or fast killing).

>>Symbiotic Research

You don't need to take this feat to use the chaos symbiosis for training. If you like the idea of adding another effect to one of your spells (e.g., +Skinning), you'll want it, but otherwise not.

- Navesi
Re: New Player Help with Spells and Feats 06/08/2015 04:35 PM CDT

> For tough creatures (those that injure me quickly), I use PYRE + ALB

Interesting. Pyre for < 2 and ALB for 3+?
Re: New Player Help with Spells and Feats 06/08/2015 04:36 PM CDT

> You don't need to take this feat to use the chaos symbiosis for training. If you like the idea of adding another effect to one of your spells (e.g., +Skinning), you'll want it, but otherwise not.

I keep forgetting about that, but you're right. Chaos symbiosis is fine. I personally prefer the stat buffs as they can affect skills while giving other benefits (strength stacking with ease for example).
Re: New Player Help with Spells and Feats 06/08/2015 05:07 PM CDT
I'm not a bard, but DMRS is impossible to beat if you want to put everything on the ground. (and you're not hunting things immune to blasts of soundwave like it seems most undead are) No other guilds have anything like it.
Re: New Player Help with Spells and Feats 06/08/2015 05:19 PM CDT
>>Interesting. Pyre for < 2 and ALB for 3+?

First, I use ALB while buffing up. This often locks Debil. Then I switch to PYRE for most of my killing, and when Debil gets low, I switch back to ALB long enough to lock it. DALU is not good enough to keep me from getting beat up.

This tactic works especially well for high offense, low defense, high spawn critters, like gryphons. PYRE tears through them, but new ones pop in immediately, so I have great loot generation as well as TM learning.
Re: New Player Help with Spells and Feats 06/08/2015 06:49 PM CDT
If I could give you guys a thumbs up, I would.

Working on my new spell plan.

I definitely have breathing room. Evidently I was only working with 45 spell slots when there's suppose to be 70 something...
Re: New Player Help with Spells and Feats 06/09/2015 02:50 AM CDT
Based on the currently outstanding feedback I've received I moved the feats up, since I think they'll be really beneficial to my overall training taken earlier rather than later. I've also moved DALU further down on the list as I'll rely on misdirection for my debilitation for a while, since it'll pull doubled duty as my stealth booster.

I made sure I'm getting my combat buffs right when I can receive them. I moved Whisper of the Muse further up on the list, because I realized it would be really helpful with my crafting training.

Here's what my retooled list looks like. Any feedback would again be appreciated. Please let me know if there's any errors in the list as well. I had made some mistakes and had to move some things around. I wouldn't be surprised if that fouled me up somehow. Thank you!

1: Ellie's Cry + Caress of the Sun
2: Glythtide's Joy
3: Faenella's Grace
4: Aether Wolves
5: Aether Wolves (Drop at 16)
6: Hodierna's Lilt
7: Hodierna's Lilt
8: Whispers of the Muse
9: Breath of Storms
10: SAVE FOR FEAT
11: SAVE FOR FEAT
12: SAVE FOR 30
13: SAVE FOR 30
14: Misdirection
15: Misdirection
16: Misdirection
17: Efficient Channeling + Deep Attunement + Dedicated Cambrinth + Efficient Harnessing
18: Drums of the Snake
19: Drums of the Snake
20: Blessing of the Fae
21: Magic Theorist
22: Sorcerous Patterns
24: SAVE FOR 30
26: SAVE FOR 30
28: SAVE FOR 30
30: Albreda's Balm + Harmony + Rage of Clans
32: Resonance
34: Resonance
36: Phoenix's Pyre
38: Phoenix's Pyre
40: Phoenix's Pyre
42: Naming of Tears
44: Naming of Tears
46: Naming of Tears
48: Damaris' Lullaby
50: Damaris' Lullaby
52: Damaris' Lullaby
54: Damaris' Lullaby
56: Soul Ablaze
58: Soul Ablaze
60: Sanctuary
62: Sanctuary
64: Will of Winter
66: Will of Winter
68: Nexus
70: Nexus
72: Abandoned Heart
74: Abandoned Heart
76: Abandoned Heart
78: Abandoned Heart
80: Abandoned Heart
82: Echoes of Aether
84: Echoes of Aether
86: Area of Effect
88: Improved Memory
90: Improvised Rituals
92: Debilitation Mastery
94: Augmentation Mastery
96: Ward Mastery
98: Utility Mastery
100: Targeted Mastery
102: Aura of Tongues
Re: New Player Help with Spells and Feats 06/09/2015 07:00 AM CDT
>>92: Debilitation Mastery
>>94: Augmentation Mastery
>>96: Ward Mastery
>>98: Utility Mastery
>>100: Targeted Mastery

By these circles you should be able to (nearly) cap your spells with just ranks alone, so these feats will just be a waste of slots at this point.

>>102: Aura of Tongues

The players who know Bards better can correct me, but I found CARE to stop teaching Utility before 100 ranks, and Eye of Kertigen will move the skill for awhile but it takes a long time to lock the skill. AoT was the only spell I could find to lock Utility quickly.
Re: New Player Help with Spells and Feats 06/09/2015 07:41 AM CDT

> 12: SAVE FOR 30

What does this mean? At the very least get feats for now and then forget them later.
Re: New Player Help with Spells and Feats 06/09/2015 08:20 AM CDT
Its been a long time for me but..

4: Aether Wolves - Another thing people haven't commented on is that it aids both in back-training and in ranged combat, particularly if you use Havoc.
5: Aether Wolves (Drop at 16)
6: Hodierna's Lilt - This is a more powerful spell that some people give credit for and retains its usefulness, in my opinion, past circle 70.
8: Whispers of the Muse - Eh, this is a filler spell imo. Unless you plan on crafting - ALOT - I would get another spell. I regret having it. I would actually replace this with BOTF and move BOS to 10.
10: SAVE FOR FEAT
11: SAVE FOR FEAT
12: SAVE FOR 30
13: SAVE FOR 30
14: Misdirection - Not a fan, despite a lot of bards swearing on it.
15: Misdirection
16: Misdirection
17: Efficient Channeling + Deep Attunement + Dedicated Cambrinth + Efficient Harnessing - all massively important feats.
18: Drums of the Snake
19: Drums of the Snake
20: Blessing of the Fae - IMO move it lower in the list. You have no idea how useful this is as a tool. It can easily make attunement a non-issue for training.
21: Magic Theorist
22: Sorcerous Patterns - I personally abhor sorcery, and for RP reasons have decided to forgo this.
34: Resonance - Might want to put more useful spells in before this ( Pyre, Tears, Sanctuary, Misdirection ) - Keep in mind I'm not a circle chaser, so my magics have always been way too high for my circle.
48: Damaris' Lullaby
50: Damaris' Lullaby ( this is my current circle, weapons are the only thing holding me back and I believe that is true for all. )
52: Damaris' Lullaby
54: Damaris' Lullaby
56: Soul Ablaze
58: Soul Ablaze
64: Will of Winter
66: Will of Winter
68: Nexus
70: Nexus - Good spell, but I honestly would put Aban infront of it.
78: Abandoned Heart
80: Abandoned Heart
84: Echoes of Aether
86: Area of Effect - This should go up in the list.
88: Improved Memory
90: Improvised Rituals
92: Debilitation Mastery - As said before, masteries really are not useful by these circles.
94: Augmentation Mastery
96: Ward Mastery
98: Utility Mastery
100: Targeted Mastery
102: Aura of Tongues - Better late than never?
Re: New Player Help with Spells and Feats 06/09/2015 08:21 AM CDT

>>102: Aura of Tongues

>>The players who know Bards better can correct me, but I found CARE to stop teaching Utility before 100 ranks, and Eye of Kertigen will move the skill for awhile but it takes a long time to lock the skill. AoT was the only spell I could find to lock Utility quickly.

This has been changed with Lilt moving to Utility. Lilt 4 Life.
Re: New Player Help with Spells and Feats 06/09/2015 08:45 AM CDT
>>The players who know Bards better can correct me, but I found CARE to stop teaching Utility before 100 ranks,

Utility: 330 58.32% dabbling (1/34)

It's not great, but I think it'd keep working well after 100 ranks.

> and Eye of Kertigen will move the skill for awhile but it takes a long time to lock the skill.

I really don't recommend eye. I'd spam cast resonance before I'd pick up Eye again. Sanctuary on the other hand. That's a good trainer, and it works with appraise focus/research because it's a spell on the area and not on you.

> This has been changed with Lilt moving to Utility. Lilt 4 Life.

This is true. You won't have a problem with utility.
Re: New Player Help with Spells and Feats 06/09/2015 11:09 AM CDT
>>What does this mean?

It means I'm saving that spell slot for level 30 so I can have 6 spells slots at level 30 to immediately get Albreda's Balm, Harmony, and Rage of Clans.

At level 12, I'm not certain my skills will be high enough to get feats.

For example I'm level 8, but my magics aren't even in the 40's yet. I doubt I'll have the 100 ranks needed to get the feats I want at that level. I'm more confident that I'll be in 100 area between 20-25 levels.

However, I have no reference for a magic secondary character so I'm not a 100% certain.
Re: New Player Help with Spells and Feats 06/09/2015 11:46 AM CDT
I agree with NINEVAH1 that the mastery feats will not be useful to you at that point in your career. They give you an effective skill boost, allowing you to cast spells at higher mana. If you really want that earlier, go for it, but at those levels you may be already at cap. For myself, I only took Augmentation Mastery because I had to for Area Casting, and I took Utility Mastery because I wanted the higher effects of Sanctuary sooner (I am about to forget it though).

For Utility, I'll echo that Sanctuary teaches well. CARE and HODI should last you until you get it.

>>What does this mean? At the very least get feats for now and then forget them later.

I assumed he was planning to save the slots for when he'd have the skills necessary to learn the feats.

>>34: Resonance - Might want to put more useful spells in before this ( Pyre, Tears, Sanctuary, Misdirection ) - Keep in mind I'm not a circle chaser, so my magics have always been way too high for my circle.

I agree. I'd put Resonance at the end of the combat buffs too. Go for the defensive ones ASAP though (HARM, NAME) since we only have two.

>>14: Misdirection - Not a fan, despite a lot of bards swearing on it.

I find Misdirection highly annoying due to its short duration, but I had to rely on it for Stealth training. There was no way I could manage without it since I hunt mainly 4-legged creatures, which tend to be high in perception, and of course Stealth is tert. Eventually I got my hands on a Rising Mists scroll and it is VASTLY superior.

>>22: Sorcerous Patterns - I personally abhor sorcery, and for RP reasons have decided to forgo this.

Let me echo that Sorcery, from a RP perspective, is a Bad Thing. Yes, even the seemingly innocent cross-mana casting. In my opinion (though this is debatable), it is akin to putting yourself into the mindstate of a murderer or psychopath to attempt to cross-mana cast -- the messaging is very clear about the violent thoughts/feelings necessary. Raesh has also made it clear that, while it won't happen for mechanical reasons, ICly it is entirely possible that you could blow up not just yourself but everyone around you. That said, if your character doesn't mind doing this, go for it.

>>56: Soul Ablaze

Personally I prefer WILL and ECHO for PVE, as I mentioned. SOUL I see as more useful for PVP, where you will really want the Cha help in using those Charm spells against your opponent. I doubt you will have any trouble at this level debilitating in PVE, so the only really useful aspect of it is the +Augmentation.

>>86: Area of Effect - This should go up in the list.

I got this pretty early so I could help out in invasion triage and the like. It really just depends when you want to be able to do that.

- Navesi
Re: New Player Help with Spells and Feats 06/09/2015 11:53 AM CDT

> At level 12, I'm not certain my skills will be high enough to get feats.

Fair enough, but bring misdirection up a few levels at least.
Re: New Player Help with Spells and Feats 06/09/2015 12:09 PM CDT

> I agree. I'd put Resonance at the end of the combat buffs too. Go for the defensive ones ASAP though (HARM, NAME) since we only have two.

Don't underestimate resonance if you have a well crafted weapon. A simple Haralun sabre.

You are certain that it could do:
very great puncture damage. The sabre's point seems to resonate with violent energy.
low (3/27) slice damage
somewhat moderate impact damage. The sabre's face seems to resonate with violent energy.
no (0/27) fire damage
no (0/27) cold damage
no (0/27) electric damage

The sabre is poorly (3/17) designed for improving the force of your attacks.

You are certain that the sabre is decently (6/17) balanced and is reasonably (7/17) suited to gaining extra attack power from your strength.

The stats will translate into faster experience gains. Good stuff.

> I find Misdirection highly annoying due to its short duration, but I had to rely on it for Stealth training.

I personally don't train stealth, but this is the end-all and be all buff for stealth training. A hiding boost and a perception debuff? Yes, please.

> Personally I prefer WILL and ECHO for PVE, as I mentioned.

Echoing (haha) this comment. WILL first since it changes the damange type and increases your flexibility in combat. Echo's primary selling point is the sorcery buff, which may not be necessary. Soul is great for boosting debilitation contests, but that actually lowers learning rates. So it might not be useful for someone in no danger of dying. Word has its uses if you use bardic lore abilities for something other than training.

> I got this pretty early so I could help out in invasion triage and the like. It really just depends when you want to be able to do that.

Same. Clerics will love you for blessing of the fae. You'll save lives with lilt. You'll help everyone learning more with grace. Care helps everyone work on instruments. It also opens up Name and drums (and I think rage) for those outside of your group, so long as you're near them. I don't think it's required for nexus, but I'll need to test that. Either way, it's a must have feat for anyone who wants to play a support bard.
Re: New Player Help with Spells and Feats 06/09/2015 12:12 PM CDT
>>Fair enough, but bring misdirection up a few levels at least.

I'd love to, but on Elanthipedia it says the skill range for Misdirection starts at 80 ranks. I'm not close to 80 ranks yet. I'd hate to get it before I can use it.
Re: New Player Help with Spells and Feats 06/09/2015 12:23 PM CDT
>>I got this pretty early so I could help out in invasion triage and the like. It really just depends when you want to be able to do that.

The reason it's so far back is that I play in Plat. I don't think there's a lot of mass gatherings. I've yet to see any where area spells would be necessary. It's mostly just going to be me and wife teaming up.

Either way, I need to move augmentation mastery before Area Cast for the prerequisite.
Re: New Player Help with Spells and Feats 06/09/2015 01:43 PM CDT
>>I personally don't train stealth, but this is the end-all and be all buff for stealth training. A hiding boost and a perception debuff? Yes, please.

Trust me. Rising Mists is better. I speak from long months of experience with MISD, hunting with WMs casting RM, and finally casting RM myself. Not only does RM last 30 minutes (three times longer than MISD) and help everyone in the area, it just seems to be a downright better Stealth boost.

>>Echo's primary selling point is the sorcery buff, which may not be necessary.

I disagree. +Attunement is what I want it for, since I am constantly running out of mana.

>>It also opens up Name and drums (and I think rage) for those outside of your group, so long as you're near them.

...Is this really true? I'm not in a position to test right now. If so, awesome.

>>I don't think it's required for nexus, but I'll need to test that.

Nexus does not require CAST AREA to work. You can just CAST.

>> The reason it's so far back is that I play in Plat. I don't think there's a lot of mass gatherings.

Just out of curiosity, have you considered trying Prime? I assume yes, but just checking. I just think that Bards happen to be pretty great in groups and at those large gatherings, and it might be worth trying out.

- Navesi
Re: New Player Help with Spells and Feats 06/09/2015 02:06 PM CDT
>>I personally don't train stealth, but this is the end-all and be all buff for stealth training. A hiding boost and a perception debuff? Yes, please.

>>Trust me. Rising Mists is better. I speak from long months of experience with MISD, hunting with WMs casting RM, and finally casting RM myself. Not only does RM last 30 minutes (three times longer than MISD) and help everyone in the area, it just seems to be a downright better Stealth boost.

Both of these spells should stack together (buff+buff+debuff) to make it super easy to hide.
Re: New Player Help with Spells and Feats 06/09/2015 02:18 PM CDT
>>Both of these spells should stack together (buff+buff+debuff) to make it super easy to hide.

Yes, although I can never remember if two skill buffs stack or if it takes the highest. Either way, I've found that I only need RM for now.
Re: New Player Help with Spells and Feats 06/09/2015 02:31 PM CDT
>>Yes, although I can never remember if two skill buffs stack or if it takes the highest.

RM does not directly buff your skill like Misdirection (and other Stealth buffs) do. So RM's stealth buff does not apply to the ability stacking mechanics of regular buffs.

But if you can get by with just RM, there isn't much reason to go through all that.
Re: New Player Help with Spells and Feats 06/09/2015 02:40 PM CDT

> I'd love to, but on Elanthipedia it says the skill range for Misdirection starts at 80 ranks. I'm not close to 80 ranks yet.

you can still cast it sooner than that, but with some failures. You could also pick up and later forget mastery feats.

> The reason it's so far back is that I play in Plat

Got it. You may want to push back BOTF then. It's mostly a group spell, and FAE / SANC becomes less important as well.

> Trust me. Rising Mists is better.

I'll defer to your experience, but I'm astounded. How can a buff be better than a buff and a debuff in a magic 3.* world? Do they stack?

> I disagree. +Attunement is what I want it for, since I am constantly running out of mana

I don't really see a problem yet with symbiosis, but my opinion may change when I'm chaining esoterica for training purposes.

> Nexus does not require CAST AREA to work. You can just CAST.

And everyone in the room Benefits?
Re: New Player Help with Spells and Feats 06/09/2015 03:06 PM CDT
>>I'll defer to your experience, but I'm astounded. How can a buff be better than a buff and a debuff in a magic 3.* world? Do they stack?

When I asked a WM, he mentioned something about the fact that it's an area cast means it doesn't obey the SOI mechanics. I have no idea if he's right. Also keep in mind that I'm just reporting my general feeling right now based on all the factors (duration, group effect, and ability to hide). I haven't yet formally tested whether I can hide more reliably with RM than MISD -- though my feeling is that I can.

>>I don't really see a problem yet with symbiosis, but my opinion may change when I'm chaining esoterica for training purposes.

Actually, my issue is not attunement during training, as I train with cyclics. The issue is keeping all my buffs active in combat (and indeed, casting them all at the start in a reasonable timeframe). I keep up RM, Nexus, RAGE, DRUM, NAME, HARM, WILL, and in the past LW (such a mana hog) and MISD (also a mana hog), plus whatever cyclic I'm on. NAME and HARM are also mana intensive as they are esoterics that don't last long. It's just a lot of buffs for a magic secondary at my skill level.

>>Nexus does not require CAST AREA to work. You can just CAST.

>And everyone in the room Benefits?

Yes. Although from my testing it does NOT stack with Fissure. It appears as though the stronger one will provide the boost (which in our testing was Fissure).

- Navesi
Re: New Player Help with Spells and Feats 06/09/2015 07:52 PM CDT
<<Yes, even the seemingly innocent cross-mana casting. In my opinion (though this is debatable), it is akin to putting yourself into the mindstate of a murderer or psychopath to attempt to cross-mana cast -- the messaging is very clear about the violent thoughts/feelings necessary.

Sigh. No. I suspect this will be one of those myths that persists in perpetuity. There is a difference between the intrinsic violence of mixing mana types and the emotion driven blind manipulation of mana you are not attuned to.

The blending of two types of mana is intrinsically violent. This occurs only with the casting of a True Sorcery spell or with the accidental blending of mana of a backlash.

Blindly manipulating mana of a type you are not attuned to requires an emotion driven response that is not rooted in rational thought. There is absolutely nothing inherently violent about this, although it is certainly reckless because of the possibility of an inherently violent backlash.

https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Re:_Scroll/Sorcery_Questions_-_5/9/2015_-_15:44

Elanthipedia - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Main_Page
Epedia Admins - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Elanthipedia:Administrators
Re: New Player Help with Spells and Feats 06/09/2015 08:31 PM CDT
Let me clarify that statement slightly, since on rereading it I wasn't being super clear.

Effects of a True Sorcery spell = inherently violent.
Effects of a normal spell cast through sorcerous means = not inherently violent (Though it can result in violent backlashes).

In either case, the mental state you need to be in to perform either action is roughly analogous. The emotions involved tend to be dark and reckless, and oft turned towards violence.

-Raesh

"Ever notice that B.A.'s flavor text swells in direct proportion to how much one of our characters is getting screwed?" - Brian Van Hoose
Re: New Player Help with Spells and Feats 06/09/2015 09:11 PM CDT
Thank you for the clarification, Raesh.
Re: New Player Help with Spells and Feats 06/11/2015 03:34 AM CDT
You might want to move Improvised Rituals up in your list or you'll have to be reliant on the 40 charge foci to cast your elemental infusions for quite some time. It's not strictly necessary, but the convenience of an unlimited foci is quite high.

Elanthipedia - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Main_Page
Epedia Admins - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Elanthipedia:Administrators
Re: New Player Help with Spells and Feats 06/11/2015 04:02 AM CDT
Forgot I need drum of the snake to get harmony. I'll have to redo this again.
Re: New Player Help with Spells and Feats 06/11/2015 10:21 AM CDT
4: Aether Wolves
5: Aether Wolves (Drop at 20)
6: Hodierna's Lilt
8: Whispers of the Muse
10: Misdirection
11: Misdirection
12: Misdirection
13: Drums of the Snake
14: Drums of the Snake
15: SAVE FOR 30 - Could fit Augmentation Mastery here to help with misdirection until level 30.
16: SAVE FOR 30 - Could fit Debilitation Mastery here to help with misdirection until level 30.
17: Magic Theorist - Figure I'd need to start casting spells for sorcery training by this point.
18: Damaris' Lullaby
19: Damaris' Lullaby
20: Damaris' Lullaby x 2
21: Efficient Channeling - Not 100% certain this is necessary or merely a luxury.
22: Sorcerous Patterns - For safer sorcery training.
34: Resonance - Thinking of moving this up to 52 & 54 so I can move dedicated cambrinth and deep attunement up. Might hurt my weapons training though?
48: Dedicated Cambrinth - While a nice QoL, I figured I could live without this for a bit.
50: Blessing of the Fae - Wanted this earlier, but didn't want to push anything else back.
52: Deep Attunement - This is coming much later than I wanted now.
54: Efficient Harnessing - This is coming much later than I wanted now.
56: Will of Winter
58: Will of Winter
64: Soul Ablaze
66: Soul Ablaze
68: Abandoned Heart
70: Abandoned Heart
78: Nexus
80: Nexus
84: Area of Effect
86: Improved Memory
88: Improvised Rituals
90: Aura of Tongues

Okay, here's where I'm at with my plan.
Re: New Player Help with Spells and Feats 06/11/2015 10:49 AM CDT
>>34: Resonance - Thinking of moving this up to 52 & 54 so I can move dedicated cambrinth and deep attunement up. Might hurt my weapons training though?

Do it. As long as you have the skill to be hunting where you are at you should be fine.