Kalimbas! 03/05/2021 08:05 PM CST
The kalimba is an old African instrument comprised of a wooden box with a sound hole in the middle, like a guitar, and metal tines affixed to the top, on top of a small length of wood, with another length of metal layered over to keep them in place. It is held in two hands, with the thumbs used to strike the tips of the tines, resulting in a very clear music box-like tone. Some modulation can be added to the note by moving the thumbs around the sound hole to shape the sound as it exits the instrument. Modern kalimbas can also be made of a solid, glass-like body, lacking the modulation technique available with wooden models.

Long nails are better suited to striking the tines, and often they are sold with thumb-picks, but neither are necessary to play one clearly. The kalimba's tines are movable, and tuned with a small mallet to shorten or lengthen the metal sticking out. More complex versions have tines on both sides, letting you play more notes with your fingers as well as your thumbs. A standard 17-tine kalimba can span a little over 2 octaves of a keyboard (white notes only), from middle C (C4) to E6, but some models can be tuned lower or higher.

Several players have been excited to see these show up in-game! Since I play Prydaens, I am inclined to favor the idea that this is a Prydaen racial instrument (sharing the same country of origin as their Ramkie.) Since long, thin nails are used to strike the tines with accuracy, their claws would be perfectly suited for it.

However, upon reading the Racial Instruments post, and noticing the lack of Rakash instruments... they too would be a good contender for the kalimba. Moonskin claws!

I see them as being a low to mid-tier difficulty percussion instrument, requiring no pick, hammer, or other tool to use. Both hands free would be more realistic, but for the sake of players' sanity, it would be nicer to allow one-handed playing and we can pretend whatever is in the other hand is just tucked under the arm?

Hoping to see them at Guildfest! Would love to help design one or two as well.