Racial Instruments 11/29/2020 01:00 PM CST
There has been some talk about racial instruments. So, I wanted to clear up some confusion there.

Some instruments in their recall talk about a tenuous connection to a race (x race favors y instrument) -- these are not considered racial instruments. Racial instruments are largely meant to be instruments that originated with/from that race. So far they are these:

Elves
Celestina Harp (Celestial Elves)[string]
Lyra Viol (Mountain Elves)[string]
Frost Dulcimer (Snow Elves)[string]
Sistrum (All Elves)[percussion]
Plains Flute(Wind Elves)[wind]
Block Panpipe/Panpipe(Forest Elves)[wind]
Cornemuse(Sand Elves)[wind]
Chalmeaux(River Elves)[wind]

Elotheans
Elothean Web Lyre[string]
Theorbo[string]
Koto[string]
Pini Elipon[percussion]

Prydaens
Ramkie[string]
Sonajero[percussion]
Nguru[wind]

Humans
Ghironda(Hurdy-gurdy)[string]
Marimba[percussion]
Duduk[wind]

Gor'Tog
Balalaika[string]
Kalungu[percussion]
Crumhorn[wind]

Dwarves
Psalmodicon[string]
Alounoun[percussion]
Gremlik Magkwon[wind]

Merelew
Zuceira(Water Drum)[percussion]

With the exception of Merelew, my goal is to get every race to have at least ONE instrument in each category (wind, string, percussion).

Hope this helps!
~Evike
Twitter: @EvikeDR
Re: Racial Instruments 11/29/2020 02:18 PM CST
>With the exception of Merelew, my goal is to get every race to have at least ONE instrument in each category (wind, string, percussion).

Is this a sort of "This is my goal, and I welcome suggestions/ideas" or "This is my goal, and I'm working on it, so shut up." :)

~~
Lupdels

"Bards are widely regarded as excellent storytellers, but terrible cosmologists." - Armifer
Re: Racial Instruments 11/29/2020 03:10 PM CST
>Is this a sort of "This is my goal, and I welcome suggestions/ideas" or "This is my goal, and I'm working on it, so shut up." :)

If you have ideas, I'm happy to look at them and see if they work with our current instrument system/line up etc. I don't have any current racial instruments brewing (yet). I generally try to release them at events (HE, GF, or other small events)

~Evike
Re: Racial Instruments 12/13/2020 01:30 AM CST
I love the list of racial instruments, thank you. I'm definitely also interested in knowing about which races/areas favor which instruments too, though. Particularly, for me, Kaldar and Humans.

I've always pictured Kaldar favoring Viking-style instruments such as the gemshorn, lyre, lur, bone flute, and jawharp. Although I do wonder what the Gorbesh might have cooked up (or stolen from the Luethra) that may have been adopted by Kaldar. The Gorbesh strike me as having a much more complex and wealthy culture, perhaps akin to Romans?

I'd also really like to know who created, and who mostly uses, the more complicated stringed instruments like the cello. I am hoping the Humans, as that fits with some of my story assumptions, but I'd be happy to know any way it turns out.

Now that Navesi is getting older, I'm working harder on her instrument collection, so please do keep putting out more limited and special instruments!

- Navesi

The First Land Herald -- Zoluren's newspaper. https://elanthipedia.play.net/The_First_Land_Herald
Re: Racial Instruments 12/13/2020 08:29 PM CST
>I love the list of racial instruments, thank you. I'm definitely also interested in knowing about which races/areas favor which instruments too, though. Particularly, for me, Kaldar and Humans.

These are generally notated in RECALLs of instruments, so I don't want to spoil anything for anyone with that. Many recalls are on Epedia, though (https://elanthipedia.play.net/Instrument_recall)

>I'd also really like to know who created, and who mostly uses, the more complicated stringed instruments like the cello. I am hoping the Humans, as that fits with some of my story assumptions, but I'd be happy to know any way it turns out.

There's not any lore behind who did or didn't, and I'm not super inclined to indicate that retroactively, as it were. But I like to imagine that instruments filted through time, clans, and boundaries either remaining the same or evolving into new instruments.

~Evike