Bard Development Survey - what should GMs develop next? 06/14/2019 03:10 AM CDT
Calling all Bards! What do you find important to work on next for Bards? Please take this 2 minute survey! LIMITED TIME WINDOW -- Please respond within 48 hours. Now could be good. You have 2 minutes right?

https://navesi.typeform.com/to/exRWt7

Disclaimer: I am not a GM and do not guarantee any future development of Bards. This survey is for communicating with the GMs only. They may or may not listen to us.

P.S. To GMs: Word in the Discord is that Segue is amazing and Bards love it. Two thumbs up. Now you have us thinking.

- Navesi

The First Land Herald -- Zoluren's newspaper. https://elanthipedia.play.net/The_First_Land_Herald
Re: Bard Development Survey - what should GMs develop next? 06/17/2019 01:01 AM CDT
Survey Results

I advertised this survey in the Bard Discord, the Bard forums, and a couple of private places, and I asked that respondents be players of Bards. 21 people in total filled out the survey (including me).

The survey asked two types of questions. First, respondents rated the level of importance of different kinds of Bard development on this scale: "Not important at all" (1), "Not that important" (2), "Important" (3), "Very Important" (4), "Extremely important" (5). Then they were asked to pick their top three areas where they'd like to see development.

Here's how I described each area of development:

Bardic Lore: Includes adding new abilities, fleshing out current abilities (screams, whistle), a dynamic mojo pool based on stats/ranks, making quality of life changes like a RT-free check of mojo.
Performance: Includes making new Performance-related abilities, adding Busking, making quality of life changes like easier weather management, fleshing out singing and acting systems, voice throw.
Spells: Includes returning old spells like Chorus of Madmen and Call of the Siren, creating new spells, and quality of life changes like ease of managing harnessed mana with cyclics.
Tactics: Includes general Tactics-related abilities and Bard-specific ones.
Recall & Evoke: Includes adding many more recalls/evokes to areas and items, adding new abilities related to recall and evoke, adding event visions of the past, adding more Bard exclusivity.
Crafting & Other Lore: Includes general abilities and Bard-specific ones for Crafting, Appraisal, Scholarship, teaching, languages, etc. (Note that I combined Crafting with "other lores" because I was limited on space. I separated Crafting from Scholarship & Appraisal in the Top 3 question.)
Weapon techniques: Includes weapon maneuvers, special styles and messaging.
Reputation or social system: Includes gaining abilities related to building reputation in an area (e.g. special area access, reducing prices, underworld access, spying), more Charisma-based abilities around the area, earning titles and position within a court or society.

Area of Dev Mean Importance
Bardic Lore 3.9
Spells 3.8
Crafting & Other Lore 3.2
Performance 3.2
Reputation 2.9
Weapon techniques 2.8
Recall & Evoke 2.8
Tactics 2.7

Area of Dev % put in Top 3
Bardic Lore 67%
Spells 62%
Performance 43%
Crafting 33%
Reputation 29%
Weapon techniques 29%
Recall & Evoke 24%
Tactics 9.5%
Scholarship & Appraisal 5%
Other 0%

Keep in mind that the popular choice might not always be the "right" one and that sometimes people can be shown a really cool system that they didn't even know they wanted. That said, now you know what most Bards want. Although, being honest, I think we would all be happy with development on almost any of these. :)

Additional ideas from the comments

- Expand the rumor system, give political/economic effects
- Advancement options within a culture; embed within a region and gain achievements/rewards
- More lore-skillset abilities like smooth talking into private areas, negotiating in different languages as a diplomat, translating, throwing voice as a distraction
- Adding recall and evoke as abilities that contribute to world events
- More buffs/abilities related to crafting and performance
- Something powerful we can keep up 100% of the time
- Multiple elemental transforms at one time
- Second buff for WotM
- Bring back teaching any skill in combat
- More rumors
- Underground system, in concert with Thieves
- Scream concussive doesn't scale to high ranks
- Resonance is clunky and should affect all weapons on the caster
- Screams should have similar functionality to roars -- ideas include pulling from hiding, stunning, warding like Shear
- Resonance effect for ammo, e.g. sonic flare

- Navesi

The First Land Herald -- Zoluren's newspaper. https://elanthipedia.play.net/The_First_Land_Herald
Re: Bard Development Survey - what should GMs develop next? 06/17/2019 09:26 AM CDT

Regarding busking

As a counter point, I think a crowd system would be a lot of work that would mostly ignored after the initial newness ran out. I'm not saying it's a bad investment, but building out an incredibly complex system would A: likely never see the light of day, and B: turn into another evoke system.

How about this instead?

1. Copy read the ripples spell (Moon mage). Rename it "read the room". Keep it as a ritual.
2. Change the outdoors requirement to be a justice zone requirement. "You don't feel like this is the right place to busk."
3. Remove the CD. Instead, you trigger the pulse, maybe with an "observe room" command. It drains a bit of mojo each time you use it.
4. Replace the pulse of celestial objects with song types. Wedding, hymn, concerto, etc...
5. Have messaging like: You sense a [couple|few|group of(1)|a throng of] [acolytes|farmers|clerics|professionals...(2)] could use some inspiration.
---5.1: The number is based off bardic lore skill modified by power of the spell. This determines reward level. It's static.
---5.2: The group correlates with a song type. You can keep fishing for something that trains, or "farm" on something that doesn't.
6. While playing the correct song, you have a check on each message. If you pass the performance check, a random 10 is rolled.
---1.. Critical failure - message the your mark has wandered off. [You need to trigger a new pulse.
---2-5 Someone throws [coins/gems] at your feet. Modified by group size and target. Farmers pay less. Professionals pay more. Maybe just a number based off performance skill for ease.
---6-9 Someone throws [treasure hopper pull] at your feet. Box, scroll, fluff item, etc... Either modified by the group type or your performance type
---10 Critical success. You get a treasure, and the crowd size grows.

I get that this would be work, but it would likely be much less work than actually building out a system specifically to support busking.