Song of the Siren 02/21/2017 11:52 AM CST
Hi Raesh,

I haven't forgotten about this spell and never will! I'll be haunting you foreerreeeveerrr.

Any chance this is still in the pipeline to updated? I'd bring my bard back in a heartbeat. I LOVE this spell. It's the only spell in the entire game that lets you hunt anywhere, even in low spawn areas. It gave me such a sense of adventure when hunting and I never had to stick to the beaten path.

Re: Song of the Siren 02/21/2017 04:47 PM CST
Yeah, this spell is so awesome, I'm getting pangs of loss now just thinking about it. I would be over the moon to have it back.

- Navesi
Re: Song of the Siren 02/21/2017 10:31 PM CST
There's no particular reason it can't come back that doesn't apply to dozens of other projects:

It just needs time and man power applied to it.

-Raesh

"Sometimes, I worry that I’m not the hero everyone thinks I am..." - Mistborn
Re: Song of the Siren 02/23/2017 12:47 AM CST

>> There's no particular reason it can't come back that doesn't apply to dozens of other projects

I mean, the conversion was 5+ years ago. There's been tons of new bard spells and talents that have come out in the meantime.
Isn't all the flavor text and messaging done which we've been told can be the hardest part?

I'm just not understanding why one of the most unique spells in the game is getting a 5 year backseat.

Is this really about motivation and a GM having a desire to do it?
Re: Song of the Siren 02/23/2017 04:38 AM CST
>>There's been tons of new bard spells and talents that have come out in the meantime.

Beckon the Naga is the only one that comes to mind for me.

>>Isn't all the flavor text and messaging done which we've been told can be the hardest part?

Yes and no. For TM spells messaging is horrific to write. For most other spells it generally isn't so bad (most spells have far less messaging than you might think).

I don't think this would be a very hard conversion, most of the messaging and mechanics are already there. Part of the problem is that converting enchantes to spells (cyclic or not) is a lot more complex than most other spell updates - they're just not as similar as you might think and trying to salvage the messaging into something that still makes sense is very tricky. I actually don't think there's anyone left on staff who's ever converted an enchante (I've only worked on them post conversion), but that's not really a large barrier.

>>I'm just not understanding why one of the most unique spells in the game is getting a 5 year backseat.

I do not know why it wasn't part of the initial conversion. There's still a half dozen spells or so across all the guilds that could be converted, though most of them have more significant barriers than Siren I suspect.

>>Is this really about motivation and a GM having a desire to do it?

Time. It's about time. There's only so much development time available. It just hasn't been a high priority project. I've sort of inherited most of the remaining 3.0 magic projects by default and I've scouted out this spell out a little bit awhile back (That's why I can comment as much as I have here) but it hasn't yet floated up to the top of my (very large) pile of development projects and no one else has stepped up to take it over.

-Raesh

"Sometimes, I worry that I’m not the hero everyone thinks I am..." - Mistborn