Instrument and water question 06/12/2016 05:37 PM CDT
Hey all, so recently I picked up a gremlik magkwon. I have a large harp case where I keep instruments and of course this wouldn't fit. What I thought was since it is made of iron/steel that I could just sling it over my shoulder and not worrying about it getting damaged.

So, first time I try to swim anywhere:

Your gremlik magkwon is thoroughly soaked by the water it rests in.

Wasn't very thrilled about this, because I immediately thought it might be damaged. I cleaned it up and doesn't seem to be injured in any way, but I thought I would ask here where people might know - can I damage this thing with water even though it is made of metal? I haven't ever kept an instrument outside of a case all the time so have no idea.

Even the look doesn't mention any frail materials like wood that might get damaged.

The thing is pretty large (15x5x12) so it isn't like it will fit into a typical container.

Info below.

Look:
The blue-black tint of the iron has been buffed to give a high sheen, allowing the bell to look almost like a massive oily pearl. Attached to the gooseneck, a simple mouthpiece of ivory compliments the ivory capped valves on the instrument.

Recall:
A semi-conical valved brass instrument, the Gremlik Magkwon is almost always made of metal. The instrument should be worn over the shoulder when played, and features a large bell that situates above the tubist's head, projecting forward. The three piston valves are located directly in front of the musician slightly above waist-height. A gooseneck holds the mouthpiece, allowing for finer adjustment. The instrument is named Gremlik Magkwon or "Angry Mother-in-Law" due to the deep tonal pitch that the instrument provides, and for its historical use in Dwarven culture as a warning horn during battle.

Appraisal:
The gremlik magkwon appears to be a wind instrument.
You are certain that the gremlik magkwon is crafted from iron or steel.
You are certain that the gremlik magkwon is created with exquisite craftsmanship.
It appears that the gremlik magkwon can be slung over one shoulder.
You are certain that the gremlik magkwon weighs exactly 70 stones.
You are certain that the gremlik magkwon is worth exactly 125000 Lirums.

Wet Appraisal:
The gremlik magkwon appears to be a wind instrument.
You are certain that the gremlik magkwon is crafted from iron or steel.
You are certain that the gremlik magkwon is created with exquisite craftsmanship.
You are certain that the gremlik magkwon has accumulated traces of internal residue.
You are certain that the gremlik magkwon is noticably drenched and dripping.
It appears that the gremlik magkwon can be slung over one shoulder.
You are certain that the gremlik magkwon weighs exactly 70 stones.
You are certain that the gremlik magkwon is worth exactly 125000 Lirums.
Roundtime: 8 seconds.
Re: Instrument and water question 06/12/2016 06:06 PM CDT
Re: metal instruments being damaged by water:
Yes, this can be possible iirc, although it doesn't look like yours is one of those. You would have seen some form of damage by now with it being that drenched if it was.

Also... SOUSAPHONE!

Elanthipedia - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Main_Page
Epedia Admins - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Elanthipedia:Administrators
Re: Instrument and water question 06/12/2016 06:44 PM CDT
My experience is with metal instruments in rain, not rivers, but in that case what happens is that you get the messaging about it getting wet but the wetness never actually damages it.

- Navesi
Re: Instrument and water question 06/12/2016 07:00 PM CDT
Thanks makes me feel a bit better :)

I love the darn thing so would hate to damage it.
Re: Instrument and water question 06/12/2016 07:09 PM CDT
I have a spare you can have if you do ever damage yours. :)

- Navesi
Re: Instrument and water question 06/12/2016 07:19 PM CDT
Did you try WIPE to remove the water? Thought that used to be the verb to do so.

-Derivan
Re: Instrument and water question 06/13/2016 06:54 PM CDT
Oh yes wiping with a cloth got rid of the water, but I was worried that it would cause damage no matter what I did...such as when you take a wood instrument and soak it. Or at least it used to, it has been SO long since I was careless and did this to one of my instruments maybe it has changed.
Re: Instrument and water question 06/13/2016 06:54 PM CDT
Thanks! Lugging around one of these bazookas at a time is enough I think, but it is a hilarious instrument.