What kind of Bard-only items would you like to see? 04/02/2016 10:55 PM CDT
Evike has requested a list of Bard-only or bardic flavor of elemental magic items we would like to see for future development, auctions, quests, ect. I'll go ahead and start.

-Scream enhancement items similar to Roar Masks. Scream enhancement items would give a bonus to scream abilities.

-Bard-only or Bard-bonused weapons that gain extra abilities or bonus with used in conjunction with resonance. Similar to Thief only Fade weapons in quality. Auction level would be mirror weapons. Perhaps some are Singing blades when resonance is cast they periodically atmo.

-Enchanted music boxes, give bonuses to skills depending on the song imbued for period of time. Limited number of charges for below auction, could be incorporated into crafting system. Auction level would be unlimited charges. Also Auction level boxes could be imbued with other abilities perhaps from the teachings of Karovaas, like the ability to form a sanctuary-esq boundary that creates a safe room, similar to Fortress of Ice.

-Items from each of the proposed Heritages.

-Item that can automatically check rumors and input new rumors into the system. Carrier pigeon, e.g.

-Item or container that creates naphtha on timer.

-Bard-only Warhorn that can use all warhorn abilities from both Bard and Barb guilds.

-Recall divining rod-esq. item. Works similar to treasure maps, but for recalls.

-Derivan
Re: What kind of Bard-only items would you like to see? 04/02/2016 11:01 PM CDT
This would be a silly fluff thing, but the ability to conjure The Perfect Instrument of any type or template in the game, perhaps with a bonus to playing on it. This would be especially nice when/if busking gets rolled in, plus it would just be cool to be able to pluck a verby lute made of pure whatever out of thin air.

Thayet
@thayelf // http://thayette.tumblr.com

"But you must know that if corruption is powerful enough, it's not corruption at all — it's law. Unspoken, unwritten, but law." — Robert Jackson Bennett, City of Stairs
Re: What kind of Bard-only items would you like to see? 04/02/2016 11:24 PM CDT
Thanks for the suggestion Thayet.

I would prefer for the best instruments to be craftable and provide tangible benefits for the Bard using them, but that is just my opinion. With all of our instruments skills now rolled into one it is a significant reduction in number of instruments needed to train (now just 1). So for me the idea of conjuring an instrument just doesn't give me that "sweet!" reaction when I only really need one.

Now the idea of a sentient instrument that can somehow benefit the Bard either in busking (whenever that rolls out) or in combat is interesting to me. Perhaps some could even change others perception of the Bard (similar to feature changing items). There might be IG consequences or differing opinions from the Guild for the use of sentient instruments since from associated lore they might involve trapping souls.

-Derivan
Re: What kind of Bard-only items would you like to see? 04/02/2016 11:28 PM CDT
Point on the crafting thing. Maybe Bards could imbue an instrument with power in that case. It wouldn't even necessarily need to be sentience per se, but enough to improve an instrument and make it seem otherworldly in small fluffy ways, perhaps themed on whatever element the Bard favors.

A sentient instrument would be interesting, but I admit I only know about the nijares, and I've never been clear on the lore there. Still, a sentient object doesn't necessarily involve a soul, though it does start edging into Moon Mage territory (they can already create sentient inanimate objects).

Thayet
@thayelf // http://thayette.tumblr.com

"But you must know that if corruption is powerful enough, it's not corruption at all — it's law. Unspoken, unwritten, but law." — Robert Jackson Bennett, City of Stairs
Re: What kind of Bard-only items would you like to see? 04/03/2016 01:56 AM CDT
Here are some ideas from me. I believe I've already posted some of them but I will repost just in case. Note that I'm focusing on Elemental ideas in this post. There are some other great non-elemental ideas in this thread too.

Instruments Utilizing Elements

- Giant organ. Requires Air manipulation to force enough air through the pipes to make sound. Extremely deep, resonant sounds, heard from a distance. Fixed in place, far too large to carry.
- Giant horn. Similar to the above. Fixed into a special location and used to sound battle cries.
- Multiplied pan-pipes. These are designed to have a great number of pipes for options well beyond what a typical breath could affect -- teeny tiny pipes and much larger ones. A talented mage may consider it uncouth to use the mouth at all, just Air manipulation.
- Fire orbs. These orbs float around the user's head and are played much like chimes or bells, only the sound is produced by manipulating wisps of Fire (and Earth?) within the orbs. This creates both a beautiful bell-like tone and the flaring of different colors of fire within different orbs.
- Lightning sphere. This instrument utilizes Electricity manipulation to create arcs of lightning between a solid metal orb and an outer, mesh sphere that surrounds it. Creates different tones but all with a distinct and strong electrical buzz to them.

Cantrips

I'd very much like to see elemental cantrips. Personally I don't see why we don't share the WM ones, when they all involve very simple elemental manipulation. Here are a few other ideas for different ones:

- Creating a small flame, enough to light a room for a minute or two (with cooldown).
- Creating a small, cold wind, enough to ruffle the hair or a cloak. Useful for hot days.
- Warming the hands/limbs with Fire magic to limber them. Perhaps enough for a short bonus to something like Athletics.
- Chilling the air enough to create a few snowflakes. (Okay Navesi really doesn't like hot days.)
- Creating sparks/flames/wisps of ice that dance along the fingertips, just for show.

Elemental Artifacts

I know elemental weapons already exist for WMs and I don't think we should touch them. BUT the nijare works for us and it might be nice to have a few other artifacts (that may or may not be weapons) with ritual elemental components that could be used by either Bards or WMs. Some possible effects:

- Object gives a small bonus to certain spells of a particular element (e.g. skill boost or mana reduction for those spells only).
- Object increases the elemental affinity in an area for one element.
- Object helps fill the Summoning pool faster for a particular element (WM only).
- Object just looks pretty and can be invoked to do little elemental cantrip-like effects (flares of flame/frost etc.). May be especially good for jewelry.

- Navesi
Re: What kind of Bard-only items would you like to see? 04/03/2016 05:32 PM CDT
>>Instruments Utilizing Elements

>>- Fire orbs. These orbs float around the user's head and are played much like chimes or bells, only the sound is produced by manipulating wisps of Fire (and Earth?) within the orbs. This creates both a beautiful bell-like tone and the flaring of different colors of fire within different orbs.
>>- Lightning sphere. This instrument utilizes Electricity manipulation to create arcs of lightning between a solid metal orb and an outer, mesh sphere that surrounds it. Creates different tones but all with a distinct and strong electrical buzz to them.

I like these ideas but would also be open to them utilizing Aether given some other descriptions of Bard magic.

Also instruments that utilize cambrinth or some other magical material as a medium. I think there should be something that bridges the gap between a mundane instrument operated with magic (pipes/organs) and an instrument that is entirely magical (Fire orbs, Lightning spheres). Something in which the construction of the instrument itself has a magical property to it (cambrinth being the easiest thing for me to think of) that needs a magic user (or Bard specifically) to play.

>>-Recall divining rod-esq. item. Works similar to treasure maps, but for recalls.

That would be interesting!

I'd like something map-like for lore purposes, or something like a copy of Aaron Albuam's Journey to the Forbidden West, that can be studied for Bardic Lore or other skills, but that's outside of the scope of elemental magic focused.
Re: What kind of Bard-only items would you like to see? 04/03/2016 06:06 PM CDT
>>I'd like something map-like for lore purposes, or something like a copy of Aaron Albuam's Journey to the Forbidden West,

I have to admit, journal-maps would be an amazing way to introduce new recalls into the game.

- Navesi