ON TEST - Perceive Elements and New Casting Modifiers 03/05/2016 10:01 PM CST
* THIS IS ALL ON TEST ONLY AT THIS TIME *

I've just overhauled the elemental modifiers for all Warrior Mage spells and Bard spells in the Elemental Invocations spellbook (Which previously did not have these modifiers at all). They will now modify both difficulty and mana costs and range from -10% to +10% (The old range was -5% to +5%, often smaller, and mana was not modified). I've also entirely redone the logic for every element to create a much more robust system overall.

For example, under the old system lightning was +3% when raining and -3% at all other times. Now it depends on the overall climate, the season, the time of day and severity of weather.

Along with this comes a new ability for both Warrior Mages and Bards: PERCEIVE ELEMENTS (element/all/help)

This ability lets you measure the overall environmental conditions for each element.

The details should be sufficiently explained in the help text in game (And if it's not, please let me know what you feel is missing so I can clean it up.) I'm happy to clarify what any particular element is looking for except Aether.

If you find results that don't make sense please let me know with as many details as possible (The exact room, time and weather should be enough in most cases). I know for a fact there's some environmental settings around the world that are just weird so at this time I'm only going to chase down places that seem egregiously wrong (You're in the middle of a lake and it says fire magic is good to go or water is awful, or you're at the bottom of a cave and it's recommending air magic instead of earth magic... that sort of thing).

Please note that this involved updates to 51 separate spells so... odds are I made a mistake with at least one of them so if you get an error casting let me know and I'll fix it up. These updates were a change to how we handle these modifiers on the backend and should be fairly invisible, though if you notice anything different in discern this would be why. Discern should be assuming neutral modifiers.

There's also a few spells that are kinda funky. Most of them are hybrids, and I might change how these are handled since I'm not in love with the current solution (Both modifiers are applied linearly which can give unpredictable results and isn't bound within the same overall +/- 10%).

Desert's Maelstrom - This is an Earth and Air hybrid.
Shockwave - This is an Air and either Water or Fire hybrid.
Breath of Storms - This is normally Electrical but when Will of Winter is in place it will use Water.
Phoenix's Pyre - This uses Fire and will use Water in addition when Will of Winter is in place.

This will come to the live instances after the QC is finished and I collect sufficent feedback from players to make sure this isn't going to be too large of a change.

Thanks to Armifer for his input throughout this project.

-Raesh

"It was wise enough to know itself, and brave enough to BE itself, and wild enough to change itself while somehow staying altogether true." ― The Slow Regard of Silent Things