Rumor System -- Guideline refresher 05/28/2014 11:05 PM CDT
Hey guys!

I've noticed a spike in rumor submissions lately, and there are a handful that just aren't meeting the guidelines that were set up for them, so I thought I'd post to remind Bards and Traders who wish to use the system what they are.

Dateline 7/2/2008: GUIDELINES FOR RUMOR SUBMISSIONS
Guidelines for submitting rumors for the rumor system:
(1) No vulgarity, either open or masked.
(2) No personal attacks. (i.e. Dartenian is an idiot.)
Note that this may include personal attacks veiled as an event-related rumor (i.e. Dartenian should never have been named Commander of the Pirate Battalion, he knows nothing about spinach dip!)
(3) No mention of GM names at all.
(4) No OOC or OOG stuff.
(5) Spelling and general grammatical rules should apply. (This won't get your rumor deleted outright -- we'll edit it.)
(Note that # 1 and 2 are a bit looser in the Fallen.)
The release of rumors into the game remains at the final discretion of the approving GM. If a submitted rumor is deemed to not be in the best interest of the game or grossly disruptive in intent, the reviewing GM has the right to pull the submission.
Hopefully, this gives everyone a fair idea of what we're looking at when we approve/edit/delete rumors.

I've seen a handful of rumors that aren't rumors at all but factual/historical statements about dates, rumors that are disruptive or downright bordering on veiled malicious attacks on other players and rumors that don't make sense (these are technically fine, but I know I would rather not see the system filled with these).

I definitely don't want to discourage anyone from using the rumor system, but please make sure to follow the guidelines. If you find yourself questioning if your rumor is appropriate, it probably isn't.

EDIT: To help you guys phrase your rumors like, well... rumors, here's the general syntax that someone sees when getting a rumor.

A barmaid ponders for a moment before saying, "You know, I did hear an interesting tidbit from a customer. RUMOR GOES HERE."

Thanks!
~Evike

Crossposted to ASM/Rumor Folder & Trader Forums