Let the Reign of Terror Begin! (Bard version) 06/02/2012 04:47 AM CDT
As noted by Lyneya, I have agreed to take over as Bard Advocate on an interim basis. What does this actually mean for all of you?

Well – not a whole lot. I’ve been acting as your primary developer for the last two years (wow... it has been two years, almost to the day) as well as a frequent face on your forums so it’s mostly formalizing what was a natural transition.

Development wise the plan for the guild is still much the same as it has been since I started working on it. I won’t bother to rehash the entire plan here, though I would like to take a moment to apologize for the uneven pace of development to date. When I joined staff I basically had to learn to code from the ground up and hit the ground running from there – I had little idea what was being set into motion when my first major assignment was to do “quality of life fixes” and “make subguilds” for Bards. I promptly decided to scale that into a full-fledged rewrite which in turn tumbled into X3.0. Frankly, I was overly ambition it what I’d be able to get done and in what time frame. Since that time I’ve also started a new job, moved met a wonderful woman and gotten married. You could say it’s been a busy two years. I won’t promise a breakneck pace from here on out, but we do have a clear path of development and I’m going to do my best to get us rolling down it at a smooth pace.

I do feel that we should have some sort of guild meeting to touch base face to face. Look for an announcement about that schedule-wise in the coming weeks.

Also I should mention that “interim” thing? Don’t worry about it too much – as many of you already know, I was never a Bard player. I’ve learned a lot about you in the last two years, but I’m constantly playing catch up with your Guild history and whatnot. I’m doing what I can, and should we find a replacement in the near future for the advocate role it will not impact my role as a developer. We’re simply still looking for someone who has a particular passion for the guild to drive it forward into a brave new era.

-Raesh

P.S. Those of you paying attention may have noticed that I also am taking on the role of Moon Mage Advocate. No, I’m not leaving you for them. Worry not; you are my primary focus for development for the time being.

"Ever notice that B.A.'s flavor text swells in direct proportion to how much one of our characters is getting screwed?" - Brian Van Hoose
Re: Let the Reign of Terror Begin! (Bard version) 06/03/2012 07:08 PM CDT

As far as my stepping out of the position...

Long time bards remember that I came in as liaison under Deryka as guru, shortly after Ydrask left. I had been training for a different position, but happily took the chance to go to bard team when the liaison position became available shortly before I finished training (VERY shortly). When Deryka left, I did not step up into the guru position - I didn't feel that I'd be able to really do what the guild needed as far as driving development and doing the whole big-picture thing for the guild. When the liaison and guru setup switched to guild advocate and skill teams, well, I stayed on in the new advocate position as we all felt out how the new arrangements would work. Over time, I realized that I still didn't feel any more confident that I was doing the guild any real favors in that big-picture sense, and it was just finally time for me to speak up and say so. I think y'all will do much better having someone who comes into the position intending to take on that big-picture type of job - not to mention someone with some new ideas, fresh perspective, all that.

For now, I'll still be helping Raesh out if/when/as he needs for events or the like, but my focus will be my position in hiring/training team, co-directing mentors, and helping out in Elothean team as needed.

Please know I didn't step down because I got sick of y'all or y'all were meanies, etc., but because I want the best person in the position for y'all, and I don't think the best person is me - time to break the inertia and get someone in who can really give y'all the type of focus and direction y'all deserve. :)

Still love y'all, and while you can take the bard outta the guild, you'll never get the guild outta the bard.

-V.