Sanctuary 01/10/2010 03:35 PM CST
In the last few days, several things have come up that makes me question the current and future worth of this enchante.

1. Viggu invaded Langenfirth a few nights ago. In the initial attack, there was an attempt to rally at the bin since that's where most people were gathered at the time, and where most of the dead were. Since there was no living Paladin there at the time I played a high mana Sanctuary in a bid to ward the room from the invasion critters from both entering into and spawning in the room. This has worked in previous invasions as well as in regular hunting trips, however, this time you could tell a GM was there in invis mode creating invasion critters on top of my Sanctuary like it didn't exist. I was not impressed.

2. I'm wary of bringing this one up, because I'm excited about the new enchante... but the proposed new version of Siren's Call is going to render Sanctuary's spawn control aspects almost obsolete, especially given the way the ward was ignored in section 1.

3. As per a recent thread in the Necro folders, anti-locate abilities that provide 100% protection are being changed. Given that Sanctuary turns a room into a clairvoyance warded room both into and out of it, I'm going to assume it falls under this change and is subject to being nerfed.

That's all three of the enchante's effects either being ignored, redundant, or nerfed. Not a happy camper. If only one of them was happening to it, I'd be okay with it. I'd be sad, but then changes happen. This just seems like overkill.

Goodbye, Sanctuary. It was nice knowing you.

-Evran

* Prophet Hotoke Fuku-Nyorai snuck out of the shadow he was hiding in.
Re: Sanctuary 01/10/2010 04:34 PM CST
I've always really hated this enchante :/ Wind only with no real useful applications outside of RPing that you're hiding someone. The fact that it doesn't loop means eventually they're gonna see you unless you are really, really on the ball. I tried using it in an invasion and afterwards when we were running through Raiders and couldn't overcome the BMR for the life of me.

It's always been a really niche enchante, sucks that even that niche is going to be lessened but oh well. Given that they tweaked Grace so it didn't lose it's niche, maybe we'll see something similar here.

-=Issus=-
Re: Sanctuary 01/10/2010 05:04 PM CST
>but the proposed new version of Siren's Call is going to render Sanctuary's spawn control aspects almost obsolete

I appreciate the concern, and this overlap may be addressed at some point, but I do want to mention that SIRE won't be able to totally prevent spawn in a room, even maxed out.

>This has worked in previous invasions as well as in regular hunting trips, however, this time you could tell a GM was there in invis mode creating invasion critters on top of my Sanctuary like it didn't exist.

Alas, that will still be a problem if it happens. Both these spells deter critters from entering, but neither of them make the area uninhabitable by critters.

What are some things that you guys think would make Sanctuary more desirable?

GM Lohkrian

"In art and dream may you proceed with abandon. In life may you proceed with balance and stealth."
Re: Sanctuary 01/10/2010 05:17 PM CST
If it lingered when it ended. It always seemed really useless to me to have a anti locate/fam whatever spell which had its effects end immediately when the enchante itself ended.

Beyond that, I don't really use the enchante for anything else.

__
Join us in sharing information!
http://community.livejournal.com/drbookoftales/
View my RPnerderiffic IC journal here!
http://ysselt-dr.livejournal.com/

It will cost you 248 TDPs to raise your Charisma from 99 to 100
Re: Sanctuary 01/10/2010 05:49 PM CST
<<I appreciate the concern, and this overlap may be addressed at some point, but I do want to mention that SIRE won't be able to totally prevent spawn in a room, even maxed out.

Yeah, that was the reason I included the phrase 'almost obsolete.' That said...

<<Alas, that will still be a problem if it happens. Both these spells deter critters from entering, but neither of them make the area uninhabitable by critters.

But Sanctuary shouls be preventing new creatures from spawning regardless of the source. I have tested this in highly swarming areas. Not a single creature spawned during the time I play the enchante. I also tested with PC creatures and it also prevents any player summoned creatures like avengers or familiars from being created in the room as well. Why should GMs running an invasion be able to bypass the no spawn mechanics? They should have to play by the rules as well. GMs can't bypass a Banner of Truce for comparison.

<<What are some things that you guys think would make Sanctuary more desirable?

See above. Barring that, maybe have it turn the room into an actual safe room for the duration instead of the quasi-safe room it does now? Having it provide a room with complete protection from enemies during an invasion would lead to an increase in its use, I'm sure. Right now it does nothing about the existing creatures and doesn't prevent GM invasion tomfoolery. I'm not sure about how Paladins would feel about losing exclusive access to such an ability, but having options available if there's not a Paladin around is always better in my view.

As for the other ability it has... I like the scrying ward as it stands and have used it on occasion. If it has to change, the above mentioned suggestion would go a long ways to balancing it out. I'm not even sure it needs to be changed since I think its possible to locate through it if you put enough mana into the spell. I'll have to test that out...

-Evran

Re: Sanctuary 01/10/2010 06:08 PM CST
Hmm. I must have erased the part of that post that said I do make use of the enchante in its current form, although its not one of my most used. I do like the enchante as it stands.

I primarily use it to give myself a peaceful room while gathering the loot and sorting through the junk pile after a hunting trip although I've foud it to be very helpful during a field raise or helping someone get their grave from a hunting area. I also use it in invasions to mostly good effect, with the notable exception of the last one, preventing creatures from spawning.

I've also used the anti-locate on occasion to get rid of an annoying familiar and a couple of times to avoid being HUNTed by the necro GMNPCs or another player.

-Evran

Re: Sanctuary 01/11/2010 05:27 AM CST
Turn Sanctuary's loud option into an anti-magic field for the room. Keep the soft version of the song as its current incarnation which inhibits creatures from wandering in. BAM, insta-useful.

__
~Leilond
http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/Leilond
http://soundsoftime.bravehost.com
Re: Sanctuary 01/11/2010 08:09 AM CST
Well, Sanctuary is supposed to hide you, right? I don't know how incredibly useful this would be, but I think it would be cool if it kind of worked to hide the room at maximum power. Like Rising Mists obscures the exits of a room that you are in, I think it would be cool if Sanctuary obscured the room you're in from surrounding rooms.
Here's an example:

[The Crossing, Clanthew Boulevard]
The cobblestones here are grey and flecked with crystals that sparkle as you move along the boulevard. High walls over which loom still higher structures with shuttered, mute windows that face the street and baked tile roofs, indicate you are passing through one of the wealthier residential sections of the Crossing. You also see a small hut.
Also here: Wilderness Guide Dryzt.
Obvious paths: east, south, west.

>peer west
You peer west and see ...

[The Crossing, Clanthew Boulevard]
You pause a moment at one of the busiest crossroads of town. Through this intersection must pass most of those traveling from the wilderness of the Western Tier into the heart of the Crossing, and those departing as well. To the east lie the gates to the Eastern Tier, affording access to the Warrior Mages' Guild and the Observatory, and other, more perilous, destinations.
Obvious paths: east, south, west.

I think it would be cool, if I was standing in the room with the small hut playing Sanctuary at max effect if when you were one room West of me (for example), you only saw Obvious paths as: south, west. So basically, Sanctuary is causing the room to be 'hidden' because the magical field is deterring people subconciously away from it. So if they tried to go EAST, they would end up in the room. But the obvious exits in the surrounding rooms would not show any path leading to the room under Sanctuary.

Like I said, I don't know how many people would find this useful but I think it would be a great addition to the way the enchante is supposed to function anyway.

Sorry if this didn't make a lot of sense, I haven't finished my coffee yet.

- Terra
Re: Sanctuary 01/13/2010 02:33 PM CST
Makes total sense and could probably borrow from the fog mechanics.
Re: Sanctuary 05/30/2011 05:51 AM CDT
If it lingered when it ended. It always seemed really useless to me to have a anti locate/fam whatever spell which had its effects end immediately when the enchante itself ended.

Beyond that, I don't really use the enchante for anything else.

__
Join us in sharing information!
http://community.livejournal.com/drbookoftales/
View my RPnerderiffic IC journal here!
http://ysselt-dr.livejournal.com/

It will cost you 248 TDPs to raise your Charisma from 99 to 100