Prev_page Previous 1
Bards In Fiction 07/24/2010 04:19 AM CDT
At the risk of drawing the wrath of our mighty Board Overlords I'd like to start a discussion on Bards in fiction since we've danced around it in a few other threads.

To start us off a few I've mentioned elsewhere (And a few new ones).

Michael Westen - Burn Notice
We'll start off with what I suspect will be my most controversial. A master of combat and tactics, but just as importantly his ability to understand and manipulate people, slide into any persona, improvise and so much more. Heck, even his motivations are all about the greater good of society.

Sazed - Mistborn Trilogy
While many would call him a cleric, he is very clearly a Lorekeeper style Bard.

Hoid - Warbreaker (Specifically, he's not very Bardly in Sanderson's other works)
A fairly minor character, but the scene with him in is an exceptional example of a Taleweaver.

Thom - Wheel of Time
While I classified him as a Taleweaver Bard in the past, after more consideration he's actually very much a blend of all the Heritages.

Mat - Wheel of Time
Yes, he's a Bard too - sharing many of Michael Weston's traits in a more classic Bard setting.

Rojer - The Warded Man/The Desert Spear
Possibly the best example of a Taleweaver on this list.

Kvothe - The Name of the Wind
I just started this book so I can't say much yet other than he clearly has earned a spot on this list.

Leliana - Dragon Age: Origins
The term "Bard" has an interesting implication in Dragon Age. I'd view her as a sort of blend of a Songsworn and a Lorekeeper.
Apparently more DLC was released this month with her backstory - I smell an excuse to go back to that game!

Meera Reed - Song of Ice and Fire
Kinda borderline between a Taleweaver and a Lorekeeper - I'd lean towards Lorekeeper at this point.

Interestingly almost all of these examples are something I've come across in the last year or two. I'm unsure if it's because they're fresher in my memory, or if I actually have just come across more memorable Bard style characters recently. Thoughts?

-Raesh
Re: Bards In Fiction 07/24/2010 06:24 AM CDT
Here's one that is obvious to me though maybe not to others.

Harpers - any of them - from the Dragon Riders of Pern stories. There's oral history and teaching in the form of song and music, political intrigue, spying, fighting, performances, and a strong leadership hierarchy with a definite political agenda at times.

~Faih

Three things that make a bard:
Playing of the lute
Knowledge of ancient lore
Poetic power.
- adapted from the Triads
Re: Bards In Fiction 07/24/2010 01:37 PM CDT
Warded Man/Desert Spear are some of the best books i've read recently. Rojer playing a tune to soothe the demons was pretty inline with the 'soothe the savage beast' idea, but i love that he also apparently can play Chorus of Madmen and make them all go insane.
Re: Bards In Fiction 07/24/2010 02:07 PM CDT
Anna - Spellsong Cycle by L E Modistet Jr
Re: Bards In Fiction 07/25/2010 02:37 AM CDT
The Spellsinger series by Alan Dean Foster. Great books and were a fun read.

I agree about the Harpers of Pern as well, that is exactly the kind of Bard I like to think of myself as. :P

And of course for me my Bard inspiration comes from The Bards Tale video game...loved it.

I have to say though the reason I started playing a Bard in DR was because of D&D, so really a Bard to me has already been at least partially a Rogue. :P
Re: Bards In Fiction 07/25/2010 09:33 AM CDT
Sound Ninja's from Naruto :x

__
~Leilond
http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/Leilond
http://soundsoftime.bravehost.com
Re: Bards In Fiction 07/25/2010 10:38 AM CDT
The Kushiel Legacy has several characters that could easily classify as bards, starting with main characters such as Phedre and Anafiel but with some of the minor ones as well.
I'd be hard pressed to classify them into our planned heritages, but I'd lean towards taleweavers. The performance however, is of a different type.

I've gone through the first trilogy and read the first book on the second so far, and I'd recommend it to anyone of an appropriate age. It's quite different from your average, run of the mill fanatasy book.

* Malik was just struck down!
Re: Bards In Fiction 07/25/2010 11:32 AM CDT
>>>Sound Ninja's from Naruto :x

Naga-Clone Jitsu? Well... they do have ninjas from the Sound Village after all.

Re: Bards In Fiction 07/25/2010 10:20 PM CDT
The Druids of Shanara as a whole.

---Thya Telle
The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

Remember the La Li Lu Le Lo are watching
Re: Bards In Fiction 07/26/2010 08:06 AM CDT
Allanon was clearly a WM TYVM
Re: Bards In Fiction 07/26/2010 02:53 PM CDT
Allanon was Gandolf. Who was secretly Dumbledore.

If one was a Bard, all three are. I leave you to decide if they are.

-Raesh

PS: All three may have also been Ganon.
Re: Bards In Fiction 07/26/2010 04:30 PM CDT
The Druids were the lore keepers when most wanted to forget the past. Also there have been more Druids then just Allanon some were even more of a lore keeper then Allanon.

---Thya Telle
The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

Remember the La Li Lu Le Lo are watching
Re: Bards In Fiction 07/26/2010 07:09 PM CDT
I think Zedd from The Sword of Truth series was pretty bardlike in many ways, particularly when he's incognito. He plays different roles to manipulate those around him, from the bumbling old crazy man on the edge of town to the successful merchant, and can talk himself out of almost anything.

I think Morphius from the Sandman series would be a Bard, as well. He keeps stock of all the stories ever told and uses their power and the power of dreams (stories in their own way) to keep stories alive.

I think most "trickster" gods in mythology are pretty Bardic. Loki was not nearly as powerful as his brethren but used his cunning to guide others to his own ends. Anansi as described by Neil Gaiman in the book "Anansi Boys" was very bardic to me, as well.

-=Issus=-
Re: Bards In Fiction 07/26/2010 07:11 PM CDT
>>I think Zedd from The Sword of Truth series was pretty bardlike in many ways, particularly when he's incognito. He plays different roles to manipulate those around him, from the bumbling old crazy man on the edge of town to the successful merchant, and can talk himself out of almost anything.

This reminded me of Belgarath from the Belgariad. He starts off in Pawn of Prophecy as a story teller.
Re: Bards In Fiction 07/26/2010 09:55 PM CDT
Both Alessan and Devin from Guy Gaverial Kays_Tigana_ perfectly represent two of the planned heritages. If you havent read this book yet, I must recommend it. In fact almost all of Kays book tend to involve at least one Bardic type of character, which is most likely why I like them so much.

<<Kvothe - The Name of the Wind
I just started this book so I can't say much yet other than he clearly has earned a spot on this list.

Yeah he seems to represent all three at some points in the book.

Regards,
Vteec
Re: Bards In Fiction 07/29/2010 07:13 AM CDT
Oh hello thread.

Minor character (from A Game of Thrones, SO far anyways, hope he doesn't die!)
Syrio Forel, Braavosi and First Sword of Braavos

Now that is totally a bard, like a master fencer bard.

//Edwardu Underlove(d), Halfling Bard//
Re: Bards In Fiction 07/29/2010 09:31 AM CDT
Leovigild Ackenzal and Cazio. LEovigild reminds me of what the Performing side of the guild would be like... while Cazio puts me in mind of a good Songsworn

The Dragon priest hisses, "We'd have won, too, if it weren't for thossse meddling kidsss."
>
Re: Bards In Fiction 07/29/2010 09:34 AM CDT
Oh the series is the Kingdom of Thorn and Bone by Greg Keyes

The Dragon priest hisses, "We'd have won, too, if it weren't for thossse meddling kidsss."
>
Re: Bards In Fiction 07/29/2010 11:20 AM CDT
Milla Talonhand from The Seventh Tower.

__
~Leilond
Re: Bards In Fiction 07/29/2010 04:09 PM CDT
This thread has gotten me thinking about who inspires my bard. Mostly because, while these have all been very good examples of bards (those that I recognized anyway), somehow my bard doesn't fit in.

Thinking about it, the bards I've recognized so far in this thread have all been either swashbucklers, seriously charismatic/social, or a combination of these with some lorekeeping thrown in. I just wanted to pipe up to make sure we remember bards that are more heavily lorekeepers, or maybe even lorekeeper/warriors without the serious social charisma.

Unfortunately I can't think of any fictional examples. Some real world examples that come to mind are serious writers/poets/composers, naturally.

Also, my own character is based around a slightly Asian-themed concept -- something along the lines of the samurai warrior poet. Very focused, very adept musically, poetically, and in combat -- but not so hot at thinking on her feet in social situations.
Re: Bards In Fiction 07/29/2010 04:13 PM CDT
Oh, hah, speaking of pirates has anyone mentioned Captain Jack Sparrow? Because, he's totally a Bard. My original Bard mentor(Kilke) modeled his character after Jack.

__
~Leilond
Re: Bards In Fiction 07/29/2010 05:14 PM CDT
I don't know if anyone else has read the series- But Morgan- the lead character from Harpist In The Wind- was very much a bard.

Sometimes the key to happiness is not assuming it is locked in the first place- Ziggy

A journey of a thousand SMILES begins with a single step- Ziggy
Re: Bards In Fiction 07/29/2010 09:10 PM CDT
Collan Rosvenier - Exiles by Melanie Rawn. (not recommended, book 3 has been forthcoming since 1997)

Tom Bombadil - Lord of the Rings by JRR Tolkein

Both are classic Performance Bards.

Tom and Matt and occasionally Rand from Wheel of Time. Performance Bard for Tom, Battle Bard for Matt and both for Rand.

Brom - Heritage Cycle by Christopher Paolini - Lorekeeper
Re: Bards In Fiction 07/30/2010 01:20 AM CDT
Sinfest's God has a Bard handpuppet. It counts.

(To me.)
Re: Bards In Fiction 07/30/2010 01:38 AM CDT
Oh you went there.

You did.

Elan. Order of the Stick.

-Raesh
Re: Bards In Fiction 07/30/2010 07:29 AM CDT
>>Oh, hah, speaking of pirates has anyone mentioned Captain Jack Sparrow? Because, he's totally a Bard. My original Bard mentor(Kilke) modeled his character after Jack.

Haha yes capn Jack is definitely a bard pirate. Definitely.

//Edwardu Underlove(d), Halfling Bard//
Re: Bards In Fiction 07/31/2010 03:27 AM CDT
The Nameless One - Planescape: Torment.

Because, why not?

-Raesh
Re: Bards In Fiction 07/31/2010 03:22 PM CDT
Hmmm Bards, there was some dryad type lute lovin nature-pimpette from the Wi'tch Fire series (The first book, incidentally I only read two of them) I think her name was Nee'lahn, but she had this mystical attunement to her instrument because it was made from her "heart tree" and she couldn't be seperated too far. But the way she played and everything was very bardic.

I think a lot of Druids are bard-like or cleric-like, depending which is being depicted. There is a book called Druids by Morgan Llewelyn (sp?) and the main character is very much a lore keeper druid imho.

That's all I have for now.

- Terra
Raesh gives Terra wings. And then rips them off and beats her with them.
Re: Bards In Fiction 07/31/2010 03:42 PM CDT
>>The Nameless One - Planescape: Torment.

>>Because, why not?
There are very few people who are masochistic enough to have played an epic level Bard under AD&D rules.

Morte, honestly, would be a closer fit.
Re: Bards In Fiction 07/31/2010 03:52 PM CDT
There's a couple of characters from Planescape: Torment you could argue are kinda bardly.

It's such a wonderful story driven game that toys with a lot of Bardly concepts such as the meaning of existence, reality reflecting perceptions, identity and more.

-Raesh
Re: Bards In Fiction 07/31/2010 04:03 PM CDT
>>There's a couple of characters from Planescape: Torment you could argue are kinda bardly.

No, they're just well-developed NPCs, essentially. Except for one that I am pretty sure was actually supposed to be a Bard.

Morte really legitimately strikes me as "could have been a Bard." What with the unending cynicism, the quips, the biting people, the taunting et al. Plus the fact that he holds his current incarnation because someone died due to his lies pretty much wraps him up and puts a bow on him.
Re: Bards In Fiction 07/31/2010 04:11 PM CDT
Whoever said Elan from OOTS wins this thread BTW.
Re: Bards In Fiction 07/31/2010 04:17 PM CDT
I'm not disagreeing on Morte, I'm just saying The Nameless One's story has a lot of bardly features to it too. Searching for lost knowledge and understanding of what happened, causing drastic changes in the lives of many he encounters, sometimes with only a few words. Never mind the whole fighter/mage/thief jack of all trades aspect.

I think an argument could also be made for Fall-From-Grace but it's been too long for me to really make the argument.

-Raesh
Re: Bards In Fiction 07/31/2010 04:32 PM CDT
>>I'm not disagreeing on Morte, I'm just saying The Nameless One's story has a lot of bardly features to it too. Searching for lost knowledge and understanding of what happened, causing drastic changes in the lives of many he encounters, sometimes with only a few words. Never mind the whole fighter/mage/thief jack of all trades aspect.

TNO is an immortal in the truest sense, which makes him kind of unique. There are bardly aspects to nearly any good protagonist because, well, they're protagonists.

Morte is the best fit for the archetype in Planescape. If you've run the game into the ground for TNO's backstory, you discover that TNO is a lot of things, and pretty much none of them are Bard.

>>I think an argument could also be made for Fall-From-Grace but it's been too long for me to really make the argument.

I think Fall-From-Grace is a reasonable fit, but Morte is a significantly better fit in my opinion.
Re: Bards In Fiction 07/31/2010 04:40 PM CDT
No reason you can't have more than one Bard in any given work.

I think we'll just have to agree to disagree on TNO.

-Raesh
Re: Bards In Fiction 08/01/2010 12:27 AM CDT
Ahmed Ibn Fahdlan (Antonio) in the movie the 13th Warrior.
Re: Bards In Fiction 08/01/2010 01:01 AM CDT
>>Ahmed Ibn Fahdlan (Antonio) in the movie the 13th Warrior.

I'm curious how you consider him a bard. It's been awhile since I saw the movie, but I remember that character as being more 'intelligent' than 'bardic'.

This idea may have worked in another time and another place, but here it immediately fell on its face and went "Durp durp." - Armifer
Re: Bards In Fiction 08/01/2010 02:26 AM CDT
grumblelackofeditbutton

A number of reasons - he began the story without even knowing their language, but learned it. Then in the process of learning their culture ended up teaching them a bit about his.

I think the part that struck me most though was when he taught them about writing. They didn't really understand at first, but then after fighting through the whole ordeal with them, the king asks him to write down the story so that their deeds wouldn't be forgotten.
Re: Bards In Fiction 08/01/2010 02:27 AM CDT
Heh, Antonio made me remember "El Mariachi," and he was as bardly as they come. Machine gun guitar cases please!

-=Issus=-
Re: Bards In Fiction 08/01/2010 07:32 AM CDT
I don't know how, but I want the masked man in The Princess Bride to be a Bard. Make it so.

__
~Leilond
Prev_page Previous 1