Tragedy! Atrocity! Horror! 10/01/2008 07:01 PM CDT
Or maybe just mild to moderate annoyance.

As some of you may know, I have a website for the Bard Enchantes with a lovely/confusing (depending on your viewpoint) image map of the songbooks with individual enchante information displaying in another frame below the image map. This has been hosted on my AOL account's webspace for several years now. (http://tinyurl.com/frc7d)

AOL has decided to shut down the AOL Hometown as of October 31, 2008. This means that all members.aol.com webpages will be going the big bye-bye. And thus, my quandry... what to do about the site?

I am currently trying to transfer the information to a google site, but it does not appear that they will support frames at all. I did manage to make the image map, so I could just have that and each click would pop you to another window that you'd then either have to close or click "Back" on to get back to the map, but I don't really like that idea.

Anyone have any ideas on how to finesse google's sites around to fit my uses, or suggest some other free-esque source of webhosting that won't throw annoying banner ads or advertising panes all over my page?

Killing you softly with his song,
- Stormsinger Shavay

Faerie tales do not tell children that dragons exist. Children already know dragons exist. Faerie tales tell children that dragons can be killed.
- G.K. Chesterton
Re: Tragedy! Atrocity! Horror! 10/01/2008 11:08 PM CDT
The map's pretty sweet. Have you ever considered putting it on Elanthipedia?

~Thilan
Re: Tragedy! Atrocity! Horror! 10/02/2008 09:09 AM CDT
Thilan, this is off topic but do you help run Elanthipedia? Is there a place to discuss putting new additions on Elanthipedia or finding people to document specific things to put on there? I've been on a personal crusade to update some of the blank spots, but only if I am 100% sure that the information is flawlessly accurate.

Contact me at DRMeigus if you wish to discuss this further at some point!
Thanks

- Terra
_______
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -George Carlin
Re: Tragedy! Atrocity! Horror! 10/02/2008 11:32 AM CDT
>>I've been on a personal crusade to update some of the blank spots, but only if I am 100% sure that the information is flawlessly accurate.

The beauty of the wiki is that if someone feels your updates are not quite accurate, we can always discuss it on the talk pages and make changes accordingly. You can also post the information here on the boards and we can hash it out before you make updates.

Don't strive for perfection. No one will go in and erase all your contributions if you have a couple mistakes in there. I'm sure you have lots of great information to share!

GENT
Re: Tragedy! Atrocity! Horror! 10/02/2008 12:06 PM CDT
Thanks Gent, I watch my titles like a hawk so I always notice when I raise a stat or gain a rank and it adds a new title, so I've mostly been doing work on filling in the question marks in there. (Most recent being Lord of Lyrics, Academian, Wildlife Greenhorn and another Bard one I think). But I also did the Damaris' Lullaby messaging/pulse/miscellaneous information which needs to be completed.

What do you guys think of maybe putting each Bard guildleaders speech (or ASK <leader> about BARDs) on the wiki, under their respective names? I thought it might be interesting, I know I love stuff like that.

- Terra
_______
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -George Carlin
Re: Tragedy! Atrocity! Horror! 10/02/2008 12:18 PM CDT
>>What do you guys think of maybe putting each Bard guildleaders speech (or ASK <leader> about BARDs) on the wiki

That's actually one of the projects listed on the projects page. I think the speeches should go under the Guild Leaders own pages, not on the Bard page (to avoid all the clutter)!

http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/Elanthipedia:Projects

Check this out to see what other projects are being worked on. My favorite thing to do is check the Recent changes and then just start wandering around through articles. You'll eventually find something that needs updating!

GENT
Re: Tragedy! Atrocity! Horror! 10/02/2008 12:31 PM CDT
Excellent, and I did mean on the Guild Leaders individual pages, of course. Otherwise the Bard guild mainpage would be a wreck to look at. I think I have Selinthesa's Guild introduction speech saved actually..I'll go add that in to her page I think.

- Terra
_______
Re: Tragedy! Atrocity! Horror! 10/02/2008 01:07 PM CDT
FYI..updated Selinthesa and Silvyrfrost (her page needed cleaning up anyway)..will be updating Ezruh in about 20 minutes.
Let me know if you see any errors or copy/paste mistakes.

- Terra
_______
Re: Tragedy! Atrocity! Horror! 10/02/2008 02:33 PM CDT
Sorry for the triple post, got Macfrae too though. Yaziyi and Lileyew will come in due time!

- Terra
_______