Re: Just a question.... 05/25/2006 12:26 PM CDT
i know of a good place in rockford, tahra. i think something can be arranged

Jaebom --remind me the week before. planning too far ahead makes me forget things.
Re: Just a question.... 05/31/2006 12:31 PM CDT
Rockford? There are no good places in Rockford. I spent many a year near there (Byron) and never found one :P

The long absent Danner
Re: Just a question.... 05/31/2006 01:05 PM CDT
There used to be a bar called Bourbon Street my husband and I used to haunt. It was a total dive, but it had live music every night. Not sure if its still there though.

Tahra, player of Tashya
Re: Just a question.... 05/31/2006 01:18 PM CDT
I must admit the only bars I've really gone to in Rockford are CJs and the Irish Rose. Both of which I don't recommend mostly because of the area (by the river, on State).

My brother was nearly carjacked at gunpoint, and his fiancee had her car broken in to. Additionally, many of his friends and their friends have had similar issues.
Re: Just a question.... 06/01/2006 03:20 PM CDT
meh. it's not that bad...my friend lives on 7th across the street from the local mexican crack bar. that is a bad neighborhood. the irish rose ain't bad. their selection isn't terrible. was talking about the carlyle brewing company. it's also on state maybe a block from the river on the same side as the irish rose...dunno...maybe 3 or 4 blocks away. good beer in that place.

Jaebom --keep in mind that i try not to spend much time in rockford, if i can help it.
Re: Just a question.... 06/02/2006 06:46 AM CDT
"keep in mind that i try not to spend much time in rockford, if i can help it. "

That's probably a good strategy. Only reason I ever go to the eastern parts of town when I'm visiting family is either to go to a Hogs game, or watch my brother's band at CJs or the Irish Rose. CJs is also their (my brother, his friends, and my friends from school) dive bar of choice, as much as I loathe it.

Granted I probably do blow it out of proportion, but I tend to do that with everything :D

Danner
Re: Just a question.... 06/02/2006 11:28 AM CDT
Welcome back Danner!! We missed you!

Daerlynn
Re: Just a question.... 06/02/2006 01:12 PM CDT
Been a crazy few years for me what with the breaking of arms (well, just the one), moving, graduating, moving, working, marriage, and just last weekend moving into a house...

I blame my father, who told me about the bagpipes. That and my attempts lately to play D&D again online which has gotten me back in a MUDding mood.
Re: Just a question.... 06/02/2006 01:59 PM CDT
...marriage...

just wait until/if you have kids... whole new meaning to the word carzy... "be quite Daddy is playing the word game..." "Daddy why are you laying down and what does that red mean?" <sigh>

In anycase yeah, once Dart mentioned the bagpipes first person I thought of was the old grump... if yeah need help re-adjusting give me a holler

Whispersoft
Re: Just a question.... 06/02/2006 02:28 PM CDT
Be assured that I WILL be giving out hollers to various folk. I'm so out of date on the Realms that I almost feel like a novice...

Unfortunatly the mother-in-law will be in town for the next 9 days, so I don't know if I'll get much of a chance to work on that whole rerolling thing for a while. Plus the whole lack of internet at home still.
Re: Just a question.... 06/02/2006 09:58 PM CDT
>>the mother-in-law will be in town for the next 9 days

I can't think of a better reason to head to the library with a laptop.

Got Body Parts?
Re: Just a question.... 06/02/2006 11:57 PM CDT
I am SO ticked I didn't get a wedding invite. <sniffles and ignores you FOREVER>

Tahra, player of Tashya
Re: Just a question.... 06/03/2006 07:24 AM CDT
"just wait until/if you have kids... whole new meaning to the word carzy... "be quite Daddy is playing the word game..." "Daddy why are you laying down and what does that red mean?" <sigh>"

This part made me laugh. My son likes to watch the scroll and name off the differnt colors of my highlights

Thanks,
Kleis
Re: Just a question.... 06/03/2006 07:39 AM CDT
Ew, who wants to get married and have kids before 30?

Still got me another 11 years of peace.

The only thing to fear is fear itself--nameless, unreasoning, unjustified terror which paralyzes needed efforts to convert retreat into advance.
Re: Just a question.... 06/03/2006 07:40 AM CDT
<<My son likes to watch the scroll and name off the differnt colors of my highlights>>

Just wait till he demands his own account... And trys to sell your good stuff at the trader tent.

Robo

The weather is here....wish you were beautiful.
Re: Just a question.... 06/03/2006 07:52 AM CDT
"Just wait till he demands his own account... And trys to sell your good stuff at the trader tent."

Thankfully he is only 3 so I have a few years before that happens but I'm definately not looking forward to it.

Did you go on your trip yet Robo?

Thanks,
Kleis
Re: Just a question.... 06/03/2006 08:33 AM CDT
Not yet, leaving the 16th of June. And Im gonna ironman it and drive...still the least exspensive way to go, unless George W does something else stupid and gas jumps to 6$ a gallon. We gonna fish our brains out down there, kayak a bit, visit Ernies cat house, do the Key West Aquarium, possibly snorkel on a reef <I hope>, and on the way back home, hit a N.C. emerald mine for a day. Oh, if anyone can find a link..I sure have tried, looking to find a eco-tour in the keys that is a shrimp trawler. The kid is dying to do that, so if anyone comes across a link for one, let me know.

Robo-bubba gump-son

P.S. Thanks for all the info and opionions on Amtrak, I do plan to use it in the future, possibly to visit NYC, or DC.

Re: Just a question.... 06/03/2006 12:44 PM CDT
Sounds like a blast bro

Thanks,
Kleis
Re: Just a question.... 06/03/2006 04:41 PM CDT
>> P.S. Thanks for all the info and opionions on Amtrak, I do plan to use it in the future, possibly to visit NYC, or DC.

If you train to NYC I will personally pick you up at Penn Station and take you to the closest bar for a pint. Hell, there's a bar IN Penn Station so we can start right away.

- Useff

A look of stark terror crosses Jarrod's face, and with a short, whimpering cry it clutches at its chest!
The Jarrod falls to the ground and lies still.
Re: Just a question.... 06/04/2006 10:18 AM CDT
<< Not yet, leaving the 16th of June. And Im gonna ironman it and drive...still the least exspensive way to go, unless George W does something else stupid and gas jumps to 6$ a gallon. We gonna fish our brains out down there, kayak a bit, visit Ernies cat house, do the Key West Aquarium, possibly snorkel on a reef <I hope>, and on the way back home, hit a N.C. emerald mine for a day. Oh, if anyone can find a link..I sure have tried, looking to find a eco-tour in the keys that is a shrimp trawler. The kid is dying to do that, so if anyone comes across a link for one, let me know.>>

That sounds like a lovely time, Roboson. I hope you two enjoy yourselves!

Any questions or comments, please contact me at MOD-Aestiva@play.net, Senior Board Monitor Annwyl at DR-Annwyl@play.net or Message Board Supervisor Cecco at DR-Cecco@play.net

~~* Tiva *~~

When butting heads, it's best to have horns.
Re: Just a question.... 06/04/2006 02:22 PM CDT
<<"be quite Daddy is playing the word game..."

<<My son likes to watch the scroll and name off the differnt colors of my highlights

I can relate to this too...I've got twin boys that are three (almost four) and they loved to name off the colors. Though now they've gotten into playing Zuma on the computer and start to wail and complain when mommy wants to play the word game.

Maybe it's time to get another computer.

~Yiara

Donalisa says to Gylee, "love stinks"

Margrethe says to Donalisa, "You should bury them further from your window, or upwind or something."
Re: Just a question.... 06/04/2006 02:52 PM CDT
Zuma? Whats that maybe I can get my son into that. We already have 2 computers so that works. For a while we'd just give him a calculator and he'd be content pushing the buttons but that has gotten old.

Thanks,
Kleis
Re: Just a question.... 06/04/2006 03:33 PM CDT
Zuma is a game kinda along the lines of tetris. There's also a game called Tumblebugs that's almost identical. Basically you have to shoot out colored balls and match them up to a string of balls that are going by. If you match three in a row they disappear. Get rid of all the balls before they go down the hole and you win.

Only problem is you have to buy the game...costs like $20 or so. Sometimes there's a deal where you can get it cheaper. Pogo.com has the download, you can try it for free for an hour to see if he likes it.

~Yiara

Margrethe says to Donalisa, "You should bury them further from your window, or upwind or something."
Re: Just a question.... 06/04/2006 05:57 PM CDT
>>I've got twin boys that are three (almost four)

hey! twin 4 year olds here, boys too... they absolutly refuse to let me play the word game. they would rather look at all the creature avatars... I swear Ill do my best to keep them from getting addicted to graphical MMORPGs and make sure they only get addicted to text based ones.

Got Body Parts?
Re: Just a question.... 06/04/2006 10:14 PM CDT
Ok first Zuma... MSN Games... free... play it there first, they only hook my wife on getting Dinner Dash <sigh>

Next for the young boys and girls out there, first start with online www.Noggin.com or www.pbskids.org again great free sites. Noggin will sometimes take you www.NickJr.com which has the free versions of games you can find in the stores like Dora and Blue and such. Again good way to go if you've got the hook up and the kids know how to move the mouse and some of the basic commands 'yes' 'ok' and such.

Now for non-internet/free stuff... depending again on the ages, the Reader Rabbit series: for Baby & Toddler, PreSchool and on up, have been the best we found that keep them coming back and give a good level of learning. Depending on interests the Thomas games are ok, Disney has been of lower general quality (at least the education ones and crashed the system more then I was happy with). Once they get older and more adept at computer use I can recommend fun games that keep their interest and not too much money.

Sorry for the long post but my youngest started on the computer at 2 and was very quick. My next boy wanted to but wasn't as good with the mouse but has since caught up with his brother. We let them do the education games during the week and fun games on the weekend (top row vs bottom row grouping of the icons ;-). So anyway very aware of kids and computers... and yes they are both learning to read now at 4 and 5 so that they can play the word game ;-) anything that helps with learning is good ;-)

Whispersoft 'n Me
Re: Just a question.... 06/05/2006 10:24 AM CDT
"I am SO ticked I didn't get a wedding invite. <sniffles and ignores you FOREVER>

Tahra, player of Tashya"

Actually, the official wedding was in Scotland (Sept 19th, 2005 FYI). Peebles to be exact (about 20-30 miles south of Edinburgh). Only both sets of parents were invited. :p And then we had a nice lovely honeymoon driving around with crazy people on crazy roads for a week. Quite an experience that was. We found the place where we want our ashes tossed about when we die to boot (Scott's View).

Though we DID have a reception in Indiana when we got back... but it was small and pretty much family only. Um... I blame it on never having your address in the first place? Yeah, that's it...
Re: Just a question.... 06/05/2006 03:32 PM CDT
Okay, how about Neopets? Hundreds of free games, kid-friendly. Their answer to Zuma is "Attack of the Slorgs". Tougher, too. If you like Zuma, though, you'll probably also like Amun Rising. My mother's hooked on it. Better pictures and more levels than Zuma.

I like Diner Dash, has she tried Diner Dash 2? It's even better, and MSN Games has an extra 5 levels.
Re: Just a question.... 06/05/2006 05:41 PM CDT
I've got Diner Dash 2. :D I'm now working on trying to raise my score. lol

extra levels? hmm...

My boys love to watch me play Zuma, Chicken Invaders and Cubis2. Why I don't know but they will hover the entire time.

~the player of a halfling, an elf and a human

"I have seen better conflicts from my 4 year old son and a stuffed animal that can't respond."- Arctuniol

"There is no absolute truth in the world for every group of people."
Re: Just a question.... 06/05/2006 05:51 PM CDT
<SIGH>

Yeah, as you see from the above she got it already...

<SIGH>

Oh and on a side note... married here honeymoon for a few weeks in Scotland... just beautiful...

Me 'n Him and oh yeah... her too <SIGH> ;-)
Re: Just a question.... 06/05/2006 07:13 PM CDT
I've discovered that Zuma is mesmerizing to watch, I don't know why. Amun Rising's the same way. All the pretty coloured balls? Their movement as they fly towards their targets?

Diner Dash 2 is just plain fun. MSN Games' extra levels are on a blimp restaurant you get to play for fun. Have you tried Cake Mania? It's along the same lines as Diner Dash, also great fun. I got hooked on it, too.

Now I'll probably get glares for turning you onto it if you like it. I used to play Cubis, but it never really addicted me like these three.
Re: Just a question.... 06/05/2006 09:53 PM CDT
<<they would rather look at all the creature avatars...

LOL, mine love to look at them too. Everytime I scroll past SOLOMON's (after I read it of course) they say "Go back up to the Manatee!"

Or if there are other avatars they always want me to find the manatee...::sigh::

Re: Just a question.... 06/07/2006 04:41 PM CDT

<<LOL, mine love to look at them too. Everytime I scroll past SOLOMON's (after I read it of course) they say "Go back up to the Manatee!">>

Its changed, now i cant get the phrase "It needs more cowbells" outta my head...

Robo

Re: Just a question.... 06/08/2006 06:35 AM CDT
Wait, ARE there cowbells in the game? Because that would be a GREAT instrument for me to start practicing percussion on!

Danner
Hmmm... 08/12/2006 01:54 PM CDT
Was actually wondering if I should put that on but since I heard one or two people were wondering I figured what the hell...

So yes, I've been called to duty a few days after everything started which explain my relative absense from the game. Since I'm with the artillery corps there's no need for me to actually cross the border into Lebanon so no need to worry (it also means I get to go home a little more than the average, at least in the last week and a half or so). Going back north tomorrow but since it seems (at least for now) that things are grinding to an end, I hope to get released soon.

Siltoth

Stealer of Silvy's Hugs

Burhup says, "I still havn't thought of a good present for a theif"
You say to Burhup, "a Get out of jail free scroll"
Re: Hmmm... 08/13/2006 04:31 PM CDT
Siltoth,

Stay safe and stay down. See you soon.

Robo

The mist flows out from where Roboson sat, wavers a moment, then disappears.
>
>"scuse me!
You exclaim, "scuse me!"
>blush
You blush a bright red color.
Re: Hmmm... 08/14/2006 08:41 AM CDT
Stay safe, Siltoth. We never met in-game, but your posts were always fun to read.

Player of Ryeka

Sometimes the key to happiness is not assuming it is locked in the first place- Ziggy

A journey of a thousand SMILES begins with a single step- Ziggy
Re: Hmmm... 08/14/2006 12:56 PM CDT
<<Stay safe, Siltoth. We never met in-game, but your posts were always fun to read.

That sounds as though you don't expect to see him back...

Siltoth!!

HUG!
::wraps her arms around your legs::

Stay safe, buddy. Hope to see you back soon!!

~Yiara

Re: Hmmm... 08/16/2006 02:53 AM CDT
>>That sounds as though you don't expect to see him back...

Lol, well, no such luck yet. It's over and I'm fully back. ;P

Siltoth

Stealer of Silvy's Hugs

Burhup says, "I still havn't thought of a good present for a theif"
You say to Burhup, "a Get out of jail free scroll"
Re: Hmmm... 08/16/2006 06:43 AM CDT
Huzzah! Great to hear bro

Thanks,
Kleis
Re: Hmmm... 08/16/2006 07:44 AM CDT
Yay! How many hugs do you plan to steal from Silvy now? ;)

Sometimes the key to happiness is not assuming it is locked in the first place- Ziggy

A journey of a thousand SMILES begins with a single step- Ziggy