Train Light Thrown 06/19/2008 08:56 PM CDT
>< Driving in like the irresistable force of a cyclone, you throw a throwing blade at a red bear orc raider. A red bear orc raider attempts to dodge, leaning wrong and blundering into the blow.
The blade lands a very heavy hit that rips through most of the left wrist and leaves the hand dangling by a tendon, stunning it.
That would have stuck if there was anything left to stick to!
The throwing blade falls to the ground!
The orc raider swears crudely as her arm falls to the ground.
[You're solidly balanced and in dominating position.]
< Moving as one fluid extension of power, you throw a throwing blade at a red bear orc raider. A red bear orc raider fails to dodge, taking the full blow. The blade lands a very heavy hit that shatters the right elbow into grinding splinters, lightly stunning it.

The throwing blade lodges itself deeply into the orc raider!
The orc raider swears crudely as her arm falls to the ground.
The raider's steel broadsword falls to the ground.
< Moving in with powerful grace, you throw a throwing blade at a red bear orc raider. A red bear orc raider fails to evade, mis-stepping and blundering into the blow. The blade lands a powerful strike that cleaves the foe clean through from collarbone to hips, knocking it completely senseless.

The throwing blade lodges itself deeply into the orc raider!
< Driving in like the irresistable force of a cyclone, you throw a throwing blade at a red bear orc raider. A red bear orc raider attempts to evade, mis-stepping and blundering into the blow. The blade lands a spine-rattling strike that cleaves off the top half of the skull, exposing the brain, knocking it completely senseless.

The throwing blade lodges itself savagely into the orc raider!
< Driving in like the irresistable force of a cyclone, you throw a throwing blade at a red bear orc raider. A red bear orc raider attempts to dodge, taking the full blow. The blade lands a heavy strike that cleaves the foe clean through from collarbone to hips.

The throwing blade lodges itself savagely into the orc raider!
The orc raider looks down with a faintly surprised expression before collapsing upon the ground.
[You're solidly balanced]
[Roundtime 5 sec.]

Train the Light Thrown skill--Both for the above, and to unlock the potential of Phoenix's Pyre.

That's all.

__
~Leilond - Working up to Galren and Mazrian
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h307/ss1shadow/leicollagefinal.jpg
http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/Leilond
http://soundsoftime.bravehost.com/bard_planner_v3.xls
Re: Train Light Thrown 06/19/2008 09:17 PM CDT
What's this? Potential of Pyre is based on LT?
Re: Train Light Thrown 06/19/2008 09:28 PM CDT
>>What's this? Potential of Pyre is based on LT?<<

He's referring to the aspect of Pyre that ignites naphtha. Your ability to hit a creature with naphtha is based on your light thrown skill. Igniting flamable liquids and increasing the FIRE power of a Warrior Mage's spell, is after all, the primary function of Pyre. So by utilizing naphtha (and stealing, I'd imagine unless you have plenty of coin to waste), you're unlocking Pyre's primary function as a Bard.

- Terra
Re: Train Light Thrown 06/19/2008 10:21 PM CDT
Around how much Stealing is required to pick up some free naptha?

-Player of Lummal/Modiarzi
Re: Train Light Thrown 06/19/2008 10:57 PM CDT
>>Your ability to hit a creature with naphtha is based on your light thrown skill.

Only if you throw a whole naphtha container at the creature, using the entire amount of liquid up in the process. If you stand at melee and SPLASH the target it is a much easier contest... Agility vs. Reflex, maybe? And it uses only one dose of the naphtha. Which means the immolation won't last as long, but nothing stops you from splashing again.

Killing you softly with his song,
- Stormsinger Shavay

Madness does not always howl. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "Hey, is there room in your head for one more?"
Re: Train Light Thrown 06/19/2008 11:20 PM CDT
Two quick things to add. You may need to go to Shard to get multi dose naphtha, I think the vials in Riverhaven are only 1 dose each. And if you splash at missile you'll automatically miss and use up a dose.

Unless you know you'll hit, splashing a few times is generally the better way to go. And a very fun way to kill things.
Re: Train Light Thrown 06/19/2008 11:42 PM CDT
I've never gotten splash to work on a regular, reliable basis. Maybe I'm just too weak or something.

__
~Leilond - Working up to Galren and Mazrian
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h307/ss1shadow/leicollagefinal.jpg
http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/Leilond
http://soundsoftime.bravehost.com/bard_planner_v3.xls
Re: Train Light Thrown 06/20/2008 12:50 AM CDT
For a long time now I wanted a form to throw naphtha that is based on heavy thrown...
Re: Train Light Thrown 06/20/2008 03:43 AM CDT
>>>Around how much Stealing is required to pick up some free naptha?

>steal nap from cart
Moving stealthily, you manage to grab a vial of naphtha right from underneath a sales clerk's very nose.
Roundtime: 5 sec.
>
steal nap from cart
Moving stealthily, you manage to grab a vial of naphtha right from underneath a sales clerk's very nose.
Roundtime: 5 sec.
>stow nap
You come out of hiding.
You put your naphtha in your warcat journeypack.
>
stow nap
You put your naphtha in your warcat journeypack.

Stealing: 127 28.60% pondering

Scrimmshaw squints at the balance beam needle and says, "The naphtha weighs about one stone," and puts the naphtha on the counter.

It costs 600 Lirums and only weighs one stone., so you could likely grab it with less stealing ranks. If you have drums of the snake, play it for a while before stealing, boost to agility and it will linger. Steal at night with no armor for the best chance.

Rezzian
Re: Train Light Thrown 06/20/2008 03:57 AM CDT
>>For a long time now I wanted a form to throw naphtha that is based on heavy thrown...

For a weapon class that is supposed to be the power-hitter between the thrown classes, HT needs some real love.
Seeing as a fully spelled-up Cleric is lit up like the bloody Christmas tree at Rockefeller Center, I really don't think anyone want to see more realistic stealth penalties applied to every spell that gives off some kind of light.
-IDONS-BUDDY
Re: Train Light Thrown 06/20/2008 04:00 AM CDT
You get a vial of naphtha from inside your warcat journeypack.
>
* Driving in like an unbeatable force, a bristle-backed peccary lowers its head, tilts it to one side, and slashes its curved tusks at you. You evade, stepping aside with ease.
[You're solidly balanced and in superior position.]
>splash pecc
You splash some naphtha on a bristle-backed peccary, soaking it with the smelly mixture!
Roundtime: 1 second.
>
* Moving like a striking snake, a bristle-backed peccary uses its tusks like dueling blades, twisting violently at you. You dodge, stepping aside with ease.
[You're solidly balanced and in excellent position.]
>
You notice an off timbre note as some of the mana leaks from the spell pattern.
A surge of intense heat lands a glancing strike to a bristle-backed peccary's left leg!
The naphtha soaking a bristle-backed peccary bursts into flame with an explosive WHOOOMPH!
>
A bristle-backed peccary rolls around on the ground in an attempt to extinguish the sizzling flames!
A bristle-backed peccary runs around in circles screaming frantically as the flames consume it!
The flames extinguish themselves.
>l pecc

You see a bristle-backed peccary.
The bristle-backed peccary has cuts and bruises about the head, cuts and bruises about the neck, cuts and bruises about the right arm, tiny scratches to the left arm, faint scuffing to the right leg, faint scuffing to the left leg, deep cuts across the right hand, deep cuts across the left hand, deep cuts across the chest area, faint scuffing to the abdomen, faint scuffing to the back, faint scuffing to the skin.
The bristle-backed peccary is bleeding from the right hand, slightly from the left hand and badly from the chest.
It is wearing nothing!
It is carrying nothing!

Not sure what the contest is, but splash works well.

Rezzian
Re: Train Light Thrown 06/20/2008 06:28 AM CDT
I thought I remember reading somewhere that Drums didn't work with stealing..

Tabby Faye
Re: Train Light Thrown 06/20/2008 10:42 AM CDT
>>I thought I remember reading somewhere that Drums didn't work with stealing..

When it was a skill boost, that was correct. Now Drums of the Snake is an Agility boost with a couple skill synergies tied in - i.e., it can lower the roundtimes for disarming and picking.

- Stormsinger Shavay

Madness does not always howl. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "Hey, is there room in your head for one more?"
Re: Train Light Thrown 06/20/2008 10:56 AM CDT
>Now Drums of the Snake is an Agility boost

Obviously, I've been away too long. I remember talk about the possibility of this changing, but didn't realize it had actually changed. When did that happen?

~Azimee

~~~
If you find yourself confronted by a group of armed guards, be warned that they will attack you in mass. No matter what you have been told by other sources, rest assured that they will not line up to attack you one by one. ~Handbook of Practical Heroics
Re: Train Light Thrown 06/20/2008 11:09 AM CDT
That is a nice LT performance.

Ackfer - Halfling in a Can, No Fillers Here!
Re: Train Light Thrown 06/20/2008 11:33 AM CDT
>>When did that happen?

I... don't remember. I'm horrible at marking time, and couldn't easily find the announcement. It went in the same time Hodierna's Lilt got a tending roundtime-reduction, though.

- Stormsinger Shavay

Re: Train Light Thrown 06/20/2008 12:56 PM CDT
> Obviously, I've been away too long. I remember talk about the possibility of this changing, but didn't realize it had actually changed. When did that happen?

A lil' while back, but he's correct. Drums of the Snake now bonuses agility directly, along with a small number of survival skills. It also reduces roundtime in disarming and lockpick. It will no longer bonus FA or Swimming, since those bonuses were moved to Lilt and Merelew where they made a bit more sense.

- GM Dartenian

"So he buckled right in with a trace of a grin
On his face. If he worried, he hid it.
He started to sing as he tackled that thing
That couldn't be done and he did it."
- Edgar Guest