The bardic Vampire 12/19/2004 11:17 PM CST
You say, "time to go to sleep."
You lay down.

The sun rises with all it's glory...

Rantjur says, "going to bed in the morning? Maybe she's a vampire."

(Sircha pretending to sleep overhears this and slowly smiles to herself.)

Tanaquil says, "I bet she was carousing all night and all."

Rantjur says, "Just what do you think vampires do all night? She's rather cute laying there like that either way, you have to be immortal to have that kind of beauty."

Playact start
You start your performance.
Playact leaps to her feet Jumping on Rantjur and bites him on the neck really hard, drawing lots of blood.

Sircha leaps to her feet! Jumping on Rantjur and bites him on the neck really hard, drawing lots of blood.

Empath says, "Eeeek!"

Misc. people: Run! Run! Vampire! Ahhhh!
(room clears out leaving Sircha and Tharper)

Tharper nibbles lightly on Sircha's neck.
Tharper says, 'So, really a vampire eh? How provocative.'
Re: The bardic Vampire 12/19/2004 11:52 PM CST
Might want to be careful with how you use playact. We were recently warned Vaeldriil that using it outside of actual performances has very dire consequences.

~Tashya~
Re: The bardic Vampire 12/20/2004 08:17 AM CST
>Might want to be careful with how you use playact. We were recently warned Vaeldriil that using it outside of actual performances has very dire consequences.

Yeah... even in your bedrooms! Or so they say...

Re: The bardic Vampire 12/21/2004 08:54 AM CST
<<Might want to be careful with how you use playact. We were recently warned Vaeldriil that using it outside of actual performances has very dire consequences.

Yeah... even in your bedrooms! Or so they say...>>

They say correctly. A temporary loss of playact would result.

Also do bear in mind that playact, like act, generally shouldn't be used to force something on another player (or do something not possible IG)...I've seen some vaguely questionable stuff in different bards' songs, etc...For instance:

(Vaeldriil snaps her fingers, and you find yourself transported to a tropical beach, palm trees swaying in the ocean breeze. She starts to sway her hips and wave her arms, doing the hula.)

Whether playact or act, that's a liiiiittle fishy, and suspension of disbelief or no, perhaps at some point it would be good to mention a backdrop or leave it simply at "Vaeldriil smiles at a bard in the corner, who starts playing a tropical rhythm", or something, you know? Assuming a bard playing along is pretty do-able. Assuming we suddenly find ourselves in the Elanthian Caribbean is another thing entirely.

I have seen folks nudged for so much as not having the instrument they refer to in their playact actually in their hands...I can deal with that, to a degree (because I know it's just as disruptive to stop the script a little into it and re-start it after getting the instrument...or get the instrument after it's already been referred to in the script as being in your hands). I know I've forgotten to get out my castanets before performing a song that refers to it in the script (so now my player performance scripts actually have a prompt with something like "Hey moron! Got your castanets? If so, qwer" (followed by waitfor qwer)). The bigger issue would be if you didn't actually own castanets, or you referred to, say, bagpipes in the script -- which we don't have in game.

Perhaps that's starting to get a little nitpicky, but it can make a huge difference between a very polished/thought-out looking performance and one in which part of you wants to react with "Hey! Where's my frou-frou drink and cabana boy?"

And just as a word of caution...even if you're doing a bardic performance in an inn room -- if it's gonna be a locked-doors-only type of performance, it's likely better not to use playact at all.

Gah, I got wordy. Sorry about that folks.

-Vaeldriil

"Reject me not, sweet sounds! oh, let me live,
Till doom espy my towers and scatter them.
A city spell-bound under the aging sun,
Music my rampart, and my only one."
-Edna St. Vincent-Millay