Prev_page Previous 1 2 Next Next_page
Re: Barbarian Weapons 10/15/2011 12:06 PM CDT
>>We've never been able to make it work at the game balance level, though.

Ethereal swords that can cut targeting streams, but do to their physical nature can't deflect purely physical weapons. Plus, it opens the door to why someone might want to dual-wield swords at times: one to parry physical weapons and another to cut targeting streams.
Re: Barbarian Weapons 10/15/2011 12:35 PM CDT

>>As a barbarian you can already parry arrows as long as you are at the range of your weapon... pole for greatswords/pikes/halberd, melee for the rest.

Nope...you parry the ranged weapon that is firing the arrow or bolt. So you can parry bows and crossbows and slings.

Ethereal swords to parry TM could be pretty cool. Maybe you could make them damage mana pools instead of health pools when swung at players/creatures. Seems like that would balance them out a good bit.
Re: Barbarian Weapons 10/15/2011 01:10 PM CDT

What about some kind of weapon that reduces the RT below the standard speed? So a Greatsword that has a 1/2/2 or 1/1/2. It's kind of hard to come up with ideas because were getting a bunch of stuff we don't really know about. So until we know what we have to work with we can only come up with ideas based on what we know barbarians to be now I guess. I do like the idea of somehow adding damage or a damage type based on inner for ( cause the damage done to scar like fire, maybe reduce stealth ability ) or something that somehow saps magic or casting ability. Even something that adds some kind of penetration past normal magic defenses. I mean really I would think it would somehow improve how we perform so the idea of having it light the dark through inner fire or quicken our speed and what not seems logical..I guess....kind of...IMO

Heitak
Re: Barbarian Weapons 10/15/2011 02:21 PM CDT
>So a Greatsword that has a 1/2/2 or 1/1/2.

The only thing I have to say about this is what about players like me for example?

I've not capped my RT on my 52 stone haralun broadsword yet, but i'm swinging it at 1/2/4, occasionally 1/2/3. There's not a whole lot I can down from there, and while I'd LOVE to see my HE sword of deewwwwn swinging at 1/1/1, it's just not logical. You can expect MUs to be WAY mad about that, I would if I was them.

What would make more sense would be a non-passive ability that was geared toward lowering RT, but unless I'm mistaken doesn't the Pride battle cry already achieve that? And we all see the popularity of those...
Re: Barbarian Weapons 10/15/2011 03:17 PM CDT
I'm totally OK with Barbarians using a dispel-analog, but not as a rider on a normal attack. If it's "Barbarian wants to invest time / energy in a special move to bring down a ward," then all is right and just in the world. If it's "Barbarian wants to blow past a ward like it doesn't exist," not so much.

-Armifer
"In our days truth is taken to result from the effacing of the living man behind the mathematical structures that think themselves out in him, rather than he be thinking them." - Emmanuel Levinas
Re: Barbarian Weapons 10/15/2011 04:37 PM CDT
>>I've off and on looked for a niche to add Parry to the TM contest for years, conceptually using some kind of special weapon that interferes with/cuts up the targeting matrix. We've never been able to make it work at the game balance level, though.

Could you be more explicit without breaking NDA?

I'm sure the death of instant-retreat will help, but bluntly to my mind it seems like parrying arrows/magic bolts from any range is not only feasible to make parry as valuable as shield/evasion, but absolutely necessary - even if the skill contests involved were such that parry is not as "ideal" versus ranged as shield or evasion.

You can play with the skill contests (multi penalty, burden or hindrance penalty, etc.) in favor of parry at melee all you want; there would be no getting around the fact that, practically speaking, parry is unusable against more than half the standard attack methods in the game. Seems to me like making parry good, in that circumstance, would be an exercise in futility.
Malkien
Re: Barbarian Weapons 10/15/2011 05:25 PM CDT
>>Could you be more explicit without breaking NDA?

The main concern would be how to place Parry within the TM contest in a way that both makes thematic sense and doesn't swing wildly to the benefit of either the caster or the defender. "Thematic sense" is an interesting confound here, because story-wise that implies the parrying has to happen with some kind of special equipment (enchanted dagger, sword made of screwoffium, etc). This in turn begs the question of how common the TM parry would be and whether we would need to balance TM presuming a two-defense or three-defense setup, knowing that one way or the other our presumptions will be violated. DFA is, of course, an example of violation of this model, but we counterbalance that at the spell level with enormous penalties (not something that we can simply reverse around and apply to a Parry contest without rendering it meaningless).

It's by no means unsolvable, but it's enough of a headache that every time its been brought up we decided to shelve it.

-Armifer
"In our days truth is taken to result from the effacing of the living man behind the mathematical structures that think themselves out in him, rather than he be thinking them." - Emmanuel Levinas
Re: Barbarian Weapons 10/15/2011 06:40 PM CDT
>>The main concern would be how to place Parry within the TM contest in a way that both makes thematic sense and doesn't swing wildly to the benefit of either the caster or the defender. "Thematic sense" is an interesting confound here, because story-wise that implies the parrying has to happen with some kind of special equipment (enchanted dagger, sword made of screwoffium, etc). This in turn begs the question of how common the TM parry would be and whether we would need to balance TM presuming a two-defense or three-defense setup, knowing that one way or the other our presumptions will be violated. DFA is, of course, an example of violation of this model, but we counterbalance that at the spell level with enormous penalties (not something that we can simply reverse around and apply to a Parry contest without rendering it meaningless).

I understand your position a little better now I think. You are approaching it from a position of targeting matrices and such, yes? I am approaching it from a standpoint of game balance (or at least what I personally perceive to be balance). I enjoy the lore, but it my mind the lore can always be tweaked a bit for issues of playability.

Regarding "thematic sense," how is it any less feasible for me to hold up my sword to deflect a magic missile that spontaneously appears before me than it is to suddenly contort my body away from the blast? At least, to me it seems more reasonable to imagine I could deflect a fired bullet with one twist of my arm rather than leaping completely out of the way Superman-like.

In other words, I'm not quite sure why the feat would require special consideration. If a mundane plank of wood (shield) can stop a spell, why can't a sword? Why would I need an enchanted dagger, from a game design perspective, when I don't need a magic shield?

>>This in turn begs the question of how common the TM parry would be and whether we would need to balance TM presuming a two-defense or three-defense setup, knowing that one way or the other our presumptions will be violated. DFA is, of course, an example of violation of this model, but we counterbalance that at the spell level with enormous penalties (not something that we can simply reverse around and apply to a Parry contest without rendering it meaningless).

Stance points are not changing, yes? You have access to the code, so correct me if I am wrong, but generally speaking what difference would it makes if we presumed a two-defense model or three-defense model? The defensive "score" to overcome would be similar (independent of skillset) whether I am using 100% evasion and 40 parry/40 shield or 100 evasion and 80 parry or 80 shield.

Not to imply that parry is "useless," but if from a design perspective the de jure goal is to make parry as valuable as shield and evasion, de facto that becomes - as you seem to realize - very much a headache if parry cannot block arrows and fireballs. I am just not sure, personally, why it warrants special consideration for balance purposes.
Malkien
Re: Barbarian Weapons 10/15/2011 06:59 PM CDT
>>Regarding "thematic sense," how is it any less feasible for me to hold up my sword to deflect a magic missile that spontaneously appears before me than it is to suddenly contort my body away from the blast? At least, to me it seems more reasonable to imagine I could deflect a fired bullet with one twist of my arm rather than leaping completely out of the way Superman-like.

Bullet catching is hard and, much like in real life, combatants are assumed to be in constant movement. Dodging a Fire Shard is not literally standing stock still and then leaping out of the way of an attack that's coming at you at something approaching Mach 1, it reflects your character fouling up the magician's aim with constant and unexpected foot work or keeping something with a relatively large surface area between you and it. As Mythbusters once pointed out, actual bullet catching enters the realm of flat out superhuman.

Which... isn't an iron-clad condemnation of it, granted. However, my aesthetic approach -- and I emphasize that this is a matter of aesthetics and not some sort of objective statement of reality -- would consider that saying every PC natively has the ability to pull that kind of thing off just through personal awesomeness is obnoxiously animu.

>>Stance points are not changing, yes? You have access to the code, so correct me if I am wrong, but generally speaking what difference would it makes if we presumed a two-defense model or three-defense model? The defensive "score" to overcome would be similar (independent of skillset) whether I am using 100% evasion and 40 parry/40 shield or 100 evasion and 80 parry or 80 shield.

The way defenses are usually contested makes that more problematic than it honestly has a right to be, at least for those of us who enjoy straightforward math and simple logic statements.

-Armifer
Re: Barbarian Weapons 10/15/2011 08:46 PM CDT
>>The way defenses are usually contested makes that more problematic than it honestly has a right to be, at least for those of us who enjoy straightforward math and simple logic statements.

Thanks, and understood. I half-expected it was such.
Malkien
Re: Barbarian Weapons 10/15/2011 09:40 PM CDT
>>...saying every PC natively has the ability to pull that kind of thing off just through personal awesomeness is obnoxiously animu.

In a world where people hide in plain sight at will and slice people in half with butter knives? :P

~Leilond
http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/Leilond
http://drzeal.forumotion.com Learn How to PvP!
Re: Barbarian Weapons 10/16/2011 12:40 AM CDT
>As Mythbusters once pointed out, actual bullet catching enters the realm of flat out superhuman.

Because summoning a bolt of lightening/fireball/beam of sunlight/any other spell is completely and utterly feasible.

Sorry, I just HAD to point that out... :P
Re: Barbarian Weapons 10/16/2011 02:51 AM CDT
<<As Mythbusters once pointed out, actual bullet catching enters the realm of flat out superhuman.

What's not superhuman about Barbarian abilities already?
Re: Barbarian Weapons 10/16/2011 06:18 AM CDT
- Barbarian weapon with serrated edge, does not cause any more damage than a normal weapon but the wounds it creates bleed more. Could have a message when bleeding is increased.

Your cutlass rips through flesh!
< You slice a haralun cutlass at a zombie head-splitter. A zombie head-splitter fails to dodge. The cutlass lands an extremely heavy hit that rips the head-splitt left leg clean from the hip.
The zombie head-splitter crashes to the ground. It's not entirely clear if it noticed.[You're solidly balanced and in dominating position.]
[Roundtime 2 sec.]

- Barbarian Training weapon. This weapon is designed to torture and make your foe last longer. What it does is allows you to land critical/max damage strikes without instantly killing your foe. The strike would register as the same damage\experience from the strike that would of hit. However, the foe's damage is actually lessened a couple degrees.

- Special weapon - the retractor. (I'll leave damage stats out of this)

Two types of these weapons:

Type 1:
>app my sword
A sword is a medium edged melee-ranged weapon.

>flick my sword
With a flick of the wrist, you snap your sword. The blade extends from the end and clicks into place.

>app my sword
A sword is a heavy edged melee-ranged weapon.

Type 2:
>app my sword
A sword is a two-handed edged melee-ranged weapon.

>flick my sword
With a flick of the wrist, you snap your sword. The blade extends from the end and clicks into place.

>app my sword
A sword is a heavy edged pole-ranged weapon.

>stow right
>It's too long to fit in your pack blah blah.

There's quite a few Barbarian feats that I could think of and that others have posted as well.

One particular feat for dual wield that I suggested in the past. left hand swings, distracting foe's blade/shield, right hand swings effectively bypassing shield or parry.

Codiax.
Forged Weapons:
http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/User:Codiax#Codiax-Forged-Weapons
Re: Barbarian Weapons 10/16/2011 06:43 AM CDT
the mythbusters piece, and this might be a total disrail had to do with the actual physics of it, because human flesh could not stand up to the velocity of a bullet, even if your reactions were so finely tuned that you could react to it.

Illimin
Re: Barbarian Weapons 10/16/2011 07:23 AM CDT
And what have the Mythbusters said about magic? Think liks casting fire ball and raising the dead? If these type of things cannot be tested by them, what is the point of using anything else they say? THIS IS NOT THE REAL WORLD!

I agree with the point made earlier... If you can cast a lightning bolt or fire shard, I should be able to parry it. If I can dodge them, I shoudl be able to parry them. If I can block magic with a shield, I should be able to parry it with a normal weapon.

______
Kertig Heart Magdar Bluefletch, Transcendent Barbarian of M'Riss
Re: Barbarian Weapons 10/16/2011 04:08 PM CDT
>>Because summoning a bolt of lightening/fireball/beam of sunlight/any other spell is completely and utterly feasible.
>>What's not superhuman about Barbarian abilities already?

There was a paragraph after that, too.

>>Which... isn't an iron-clad condemnation of it, granted. However, my aesthetic approach -- and I emphasize that this is a matter of aesthetics and not some sort of objective statement of reality -- would consider that saying every PC natively has the ability to pull that kind of thing off just through personal awesomeness is obnoxiously animu.

The objection isn't that some sort of supernatural ability could allow it to happen, but to the presumption that it is a feat every person on the planet can accomplish without aid.

-Armifer
Re: Barbarian Weapons 10/16/2011 08:18 PM CDT
>>The objection isn't that some sort of supernatural ability could allow it to happen, but to the presumption that it is a feat every person on the planet can accomplish without aid.

Maybe Barbarians can do it with a specific dance. Seems right up their alley.

Sort of like a reverse-DFA. Or perhaps it could be a "barrier spell" that allows parry to be checked versus X number of TM spells, with X increasing with augmentation ranks (or warding ranks), max being like 3. Or maybe it could work like Shear, where successive casts weaken it.
Malkien
Re: Barbarian Weapons 10/16/2011 08:31 PM CDT
>Sort of like a reverse-DFA. Or perhaps it could be a "barrier spell" that allows parry to be checked versus X number of TM spells, with X increasing with augmentation ranks (or warding ranks), max being like 3. Or maybe it could work like Shear, where successive casts weaken it.

Dance of the seven veils. I can see...pretty much all of them...doing it.

'You're going to magic me? Oh ya? How about now that I'm only wearing six veils? That's right, flee cowards! Flee my diaphomous and trembling vengence!'

Hey look ma! There are rules to useing quotations!
http://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/577/01/
Re: Barbarian Weapons 10/16/2011 10:44 PM CDT
>The objection isn't that some sort of supernatural ability could allow it to happen, but to the presumption that it is a feat every person on the planet can accomplish without aid.

I was always under the assumption that players in Dragonrealms are heros...people of amazing power/strength (even at circle one) that "normal" people couldn't hope to acquire.

That alone is a limited population, and to compound on that, take the percentage of that population who are Barbarians and you have a very small number. I never saw it as a "every person under the sun can do this".
Re: Barbarian Weapons 10/19/2011 12:00 PM CDT
I think I want to change my topic to making weapon containers that are actually large enough to contain our weapons. Nothing like getting a nice pole ranged weapon and having no way to store it. Or a blunt weapon that is too wide for an empty weapon harness. I'm tired of needing "old" versions of containers to train more than four weapons.

You hear the ghostly voice of Ragran say, "You wont take me alive!"
Re: Barbarian Weapons 10/20/2011 05:00 AM CDT
You tap a belted kidskin baldric tooled with sinuous maiden's tress vines that you are wearing.

I can't remember where I got this, but it is storebought and it does hold a lot of weapons, including some very large blunts. Pole weapons? I wear a pike, quarter staff, and khuj, so I'm not sure what you're complaining about here. They do require weapon straps, but those aren't hard to come by.

________________________________________________________________________________

We've decided that instead of spells Paladins will be a new arm of the Bard guild utilizing interpretive dance moves.

~GM Zeyurn
Re: Barbarian Weapons 10/20/2011 05:25 AM CDT
>>I can't remember where I got this, but it is storebought

Boar Clan

>>They do require weapon straps, but those aren't hard to come by.

Some of us need those shoulder slots because we do things like actually bundle our skins or carry additional shoulder containers.

I carry a glaive, but Barbarians do not have tertiary Empath weapon pool sizes. We cannot realistically mind lock eight different weapons at once. One polearm should be sufficient.
Malkien
Re: Barbarian Weapons 10/20/2011 05:51 AM CDT
<<Some of us need those shoulder slots because we do things like actually bundle our skins or carry additional shoulder containers.

PULL your bundle. As for wearing shoulder containers...that's a choice.
Re: Barbarian Weapons 10/20/2011 06:10 AM CDT
>>PULL your bundle.

Every slot it uses can be used for something more valuable, like belt-worn lockpick rings or skinning knives. Or, you know, a backpack.

>>As for wearing shoulder containers...that's a choice.

So is carrying three polearms that require a weapon strap.
Malkien
Re: Barbarian Weapons 10/20/2011 06:20 AM CDT
<<Every slot it uses can be used for something more valuable, like belt-worn lockpick rings or skinning knives. Or, you know, a backpack.

Take off your belts? Honestly I never had problems wearing like four-five bundles.
Re: Barbarian Weapons 10/20/2011 04:18 PM CDT
>>Honestly I never had problems wearing like four-five bundles.

You are wearing a lumpy bundle, a tight bundle, a tight bundle, a tight bundle, a teardrop earring, a plain leather cord dangling a friendship ring formed from linked silver knots, a flowing duelist's white longcoat without sleeves, a backtube, a chain shirt with worn leather armwraps, a small brace buckler, some double-reinforced fingerless gloves, a carved pick, a scarred leather craftsman's belt, a tiny pearly white pouch with cerulean embroidery, a glossy ebony-black sheath with darkened silver fittings, a feyweave hip pouch festooned with large cambrinth beads, some dark grey mistsilk pants, a small knife, a pair of hardened-leather boots with silvered knee guards and an etched steel parry stick with black leather straps.

~Leilond
http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/Leilond
http://drzeal.forumotion.com Learn How to PvP!
Re: Barbarian Weapons 10/20/2011 04:47 PM CDT
>>Every slot it uses can be used for something more valuable, like belt-worn lockpick rings or skinning knives. Or, you know, a backpack.

Bundles can be worn on the belt, but they can also be worn around the waist (and you get two slots here). So yeah, unless you're wearing multiple belts, you probably have at least one waist slot free.

-- Player of Eyuve
Re: Barbarian Weapons 10/20/2011 08:42 PM CDT
>>you probably have at least one waist slot free.<<

Yup. I wear my bundles on the waist. I carry the following weapons on me at all times:

BLUNTS:
Steel Dire Mace
Steel Mallet
Steel Mace
Steel Bludgeon

EDGES:
Steel Twohanded Sword
Steel Broadsword
Steel Scimitar
Steel Falcata

MISC:
Steel Nightstick
Steel Quarter Staff
Steel Pike
Steel Khuj
Steel Bola (x2)
Steel Hammer (x2)
Steel Brawling Gear

I could carry all my ranged weapons also, but usually I work all my melee weapons, and then I switch to all ranged. I have no problem with inventory, slots, bundles, or other stuff.

________________________________________________________________________________

We've decided that instead of spells Paladins will be a new arm of the Bard guild utilizing interpretive dance moves.

~GM Zeyurn
Re: Barbarian Weapons 10/21/2011 03:17 AM CDT
Indeed, the waist is usually where I start. I used to carry a full weapons load but I cut down to about 12 weapons, including my khuj and my spear. I don't wear a baldric.
Re: Barbarian Weapons 10/21/2011 09:33 PM CDT

>>>
Indeed, the waist is usually where I start. I used to carry a full weapons load but I cut down to about 12 weapons, including my khuj and my spear. I don't wear a baldric.>>

Off topic, but why a khuj and not a glaive?
Re: Barbarian Weapons 10/21/2011 10:39 PM CDT

>>but why a khuj and not a glaive?

They're the same template in new forging.
Re: Barbarian Weapons 11/03/2011 10:24 PM CDT
>I can't remember where I got this, but it is storebought and it does hold a lot of weapons, including some very large blunts. Pole weapons? I wear a pike, quarter staff, and khuj, so I'm not sure what you're complaining about here. They do require weapon straps, but those aren't hard to come by.

Its more of a choice. I have several nice (included a bonded) weapon harnesses that wont hold some weapons. Take a look at almost all of the weapon containers available at the current festival. Almost all of them are a copy of store bought containers from Crossing. I for one dont like having to buy one specific container and have it altered to remove the frilly vines on it. Leave that crap for Rangers and Elves.

>exp magic

Inner Magic: 346 28% Sparkling!(35/34)
Prev_page Previous 1 2 Next Next_page