Meditate 02/14/2006 03:24 PM CST
I went on and did a little testing with the MEDITATE verb when using warpaint. Had a warmie cast Zephyr (Tell me if this was a bad spell choice) with various mana levels and tested to see if my IF would get lowered or not. Did it two times each for different mana levels with and without using the verb

20 mana prepped
With Meditation verb Without verb
resisted both times failed once resisted once

25 mana prepped
resisted both times failed to resist both times

30 mana prepped
resisted both times failed once resisted once

35 mana prepped
failed once resisted once failed to resist both times

40 mana prepped
failed once resisted once failed to resist both times

So I'm pretty sure now that the MEDITATE verb increases BMR. One interesting thing I noticed though, was that it got harder to feel "fully inspired" at the higher mana preps. I wanted to try using the verb with fresh warpaint, so each time I used it it flaked and wasn't as strong, so I cleaned it off an applied new warpaint. As I reached the 30+ mana preps, even with fresh warpaint I kept getting the message that was similar to, "You don't feel fully inspired" each time I used it. If I had felt fully inspired using it at the 35 and 40 mana preps, then I might have resisted both of them instead of just one.

So I think I've discovered something, and I'm not sure if it's a "timer" so that a barb doesn't keep cleaning off warpaint and reapplying it, or does the same pattern/location matter when doing it over and over? If you could answer this, Iayn, I'd be glad and would understand the mysteries of warpaint better.
Re: Meditate 02/14/2006 05:36 PM CST
<<So I think I've discovered something, and I'm not sure if it's a "timer" so that a barb doesn't keep cleaning off warpaint and reapplying it, or does the same pattern/location matter when doing it over and over? If you could answer this, Iayn, I'd be glad and would understand the mysteries of warpaint better.

Yeah there's a timer. I believe Navak said it was 3-5 minutes and this seems to be pretty accurate, haven't actually tested it... but he has. I was almost positive that MEDITATE increased BMR and you've pretty much cleared up any doubt I had. Now... what the heck does CONCENTRATE do?

Malkien the Barbarian has already been to the moon: that's why there are no signs of life there.
Apis the Cleric's tears cure cancer. Too bad he has never cried.

Re: Meditate 02/14/2006 06:36 PM CST
<<Yeah there's a timer. I believe Navak said it was 3-5 minutes and this seems to be pretty accurate, haven't actually tested it.>>

I tested it...it is 5 minutes (probably exactly) 4 min 45 sec. is not long enough and 5 min is.

Codiax.

Why kill anything when you can kill mages
Re: Meditate 02/15/2006 02:32 PM CST
Using Meditate wasn't able to change mana needed by even 1 point when I had MB cast against me so not sure what is happening exactly unless area beneficial is just that much easier to resist.

Generally area spells aren't that great for testing because of the other factors involved which although unlikely...could skew the results.

I'll try to get some lower people to cast against me and see what happens since I doubt there would be an area spell only resist boost put into place.

I am --- Navak
Re: Meditate 02/15/2006 04:00 PM CST
One could be for targetted magic and one could be for stat vs. stat possibly.

Malkien the Barbarian has already been to the moon: that's why there are no signs of life there.
Apis the Cleric's tears cure cancer. Too bad he has never cried.

Meditate WarPaint 07/22/2006 05:29 PM CDT
I'm not sure exactly what meditate warpaint does but if it'll help with someone elses research this is a bit of testing that I did last night.

I had a paladin (250 PM + 250 Harnessing) prep Smite Foe at intervals of 5, 10, 20, and 28 while dancing swan. Every cast ended with a mote. I then stopped dancing and after getting back full IF paladin cast a 28 mana Smite Foe which struck. I then applied warpaint and after meditating on it he re cast with no problem striking. It was my original thought that perhaps meditate would raise BMR, and from what I could gather I was wrong. If anyone else has done any testing post up.

Ternith Sjomah
___
I know that I will die in battle, this I have accepted. I hope that it will be one of my own choosing, but if not do not bury me in a small, sad little cemetary. Burn me and spread my ashes to a strong western wind that I might make my way home.
Re: Meditate WarPaint 07/22/2006 05:50 PM CDT
Maybe it raises intelligence or discipline. Might be able to check out if it boosts intelligence, but I'm not sure how someone can check if it boosts discipline.

- Simon

http://www.phiiskeep.homestead.com/Frontpage.html

http://dr.bookofheroes.com/index.php
Re: Meditate WarPaint 07/22/2006 07:30 PM CDT
If it only boosts discipline a little it might be hard but, you can check it with burden and verify it isn't strength other ways though not sure how you would ensure it wasn't boosting stamina apart from it seeming unlikely.

I am --- Navak
Re: Meditate WarPaint 07/22/2006 09:59 PM CDT
Tested the intel part on suggestion from Simon. I can fold medallion but not gryphon. It would have been a 2 point raise in intel to make the first fold with gryphon and had no luck. I'd say it definatly wasn't that.

Ternith
___
I know that I will die in battle, this I have accepted. I hope that it will be one of my own choosing, but if not do not bury me in a small, sad little cemetary. Burn me and spread my ashes to a strong western wind that I might make my way home.
Re: Meditate WarPaint 07/22/2006 10:00 PM CDT
Make that three points, but I'd still say a raise in intell is unlikely.

Ternith Sjomah
___
Re: Meditate WarPaint 07/22/2006 10:26 PM CDT
Thank you for that btw.

While we're on the subject of warpaint, has anyone experimented with other people looking at you and you seeing them tremble/shake/eyes widen/shiver. Than waiting a minute if they fail to do that and testing out Stare Warpaint to see if it improves your chances of them looking at you for the result of the people looking at you to tremble/shake/eyes widen/shiver.

- Simon

http://www.phiiskeep.homestead.com/Frontpage.html

http://dr.bookofheroes.com/index.php
Re: Meditate WarPaint 07/23/2006 12:32 AM CDT
i noticed with my little barb in plat that they onlt did the tremble etc bit about 75% of the time with people about my size or a little bigger. obviously people far bigger than me where not intimidated by the little barb. Will try stare the next time i'm around civilization and let you know if the passive intimidation goes up

The Assassin in Plat

Those who live by the blade die by those who don't.

"God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot shoot, the
courage to shoot the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies."
Unknown
Re: Meditate WarPaint 07/23/2006 12:16 PM CDT
Post Removed due to snarkiness resulting in waking up late and not having morning coffee yet.

___