Berserk Frustration 04/30/2015 12:36 PM CDT
Something that keeps driving me nuts with my barb is that he can only maintain 1 berserk at a time, and a second will tank his IF. Barb is about 80th.

I understand berserks are supposed to be... dramatic, last ditch, kind of panic button type things, but I don't think that's how they're laid out in practice. Tornado buffs Shield and Stamina, a really helpful defensive buff that I'd like to have up at all times, but can't. Tsunami buffs my weapons, a really standard seeming Barbarian ability (to you know, match Ignite, Resonance, or Rutilors Edge), but it's too taxing to use for even half it's duration.

I understand Famine and Avalanche and Flashflood and maybe Landslide, but I think as it stands, it seems like most Berserks are just 'some of the rest of our buffs' that happen to be Berserks, and this makes using them quite frustrating. Not to get into GvG, but my 50th circle Paladin can at any given time buff himself to a greater extent than my 80th circle Barbarian. Forget about the Cleric.

I'm not sure what a good solution is - maybe separate the Berserks into specifically panic, and 'other', and the panic berserks are one shots that consume high IF, and last a short period, and are meant as stun breaks or the like (Famine, Earthquake, Volcano, Flashflood) and the others are a kind of middle ground between Forms and Berserks?

I think at the very least, some of the Berserks need their IF cost significantly reduced. I don't mind having to restart them more frequently than Forms, but being unable to use them for more than a minute before tanking my IF renders them, as I stated, wholly useless.

So... Anyway... Thoughts?
Re: Berserk Frustration 04/30/2015 02:24 PM CDT
Yep. I have definitely pointed this out in the past, and would not shed one ounce of tea or juice if things shuffled around a bit. I dislike a shield boost as a beserk. It'd make better sense as a form or meditation. IMO, if an ability consumes a ton of IF, it should be doing something extra special.

"Brace yourselves, Squanto is going to bleh blah fart fart bleh.." -the player of the character formerly known as Pureblade
Re: Berserk Frustration 04/30/2015 07:08 PM CDT

My Barb is exactly 80th Circle, and the only way I've found to counter this is to constantly use Ana Flame. It seems to keep my IF from getting tanked. Admittedly, it is often very low from spamming some of the Zerks.
Re: Berserk Frustration 04/30/2015 09:48 PM CDT
What other abilities are you using at the same time?

I've lowered berserk costs a bit in the past and there is a barb analyze that I believe nullifies the cost of your next berserk. Not sure anyone uses it though? Not saying it can't be improved more. But I am trying some different approaches here.

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
Re: Berserk Frustration 04/30/2015 10:06 PM CDT
Forgive me if I am wrong here, but doesn't that berserk analyze get unlocked at like 1200 expertise? That might be a bit out of reach for an 80th circle barb.

"Brace yourselves, Squanto is going to bleh blah fart fart bleh.." -the player of the character formerly known as Pureblade
Re: Berserk Frustration 05/01/2015 05:52 AM CDT

It is <Ana rage> and I can use it, just tried it in game. I also agree with the OP, that have a shield boost as a berserk is a little rough.
Re: Berserk Frustration 05/01/2015 06:00 AM CDT
Oh yeah I know the verbage. I just thought originally it was supposed to be unlocked at like 1200 expertise ranks. For instance, I cannot use calm yet, which I believe was originally slated at 1600 ranks of expertise.

Out of curiosity, at roughly what point did you unlock rage?

If anyone is interested, this was the post a while back: http://tinyheroes.com/forums/DragonRealms/The%20Barbarians/General%20Discussions%20-%20Barbarians/thread/1607303

Re: Berserk Frustration 05/01/2015 08:12 AM CDT

So, at 75th (sorry, 75th, not 80th) my Barb has 418 ranks of Expertise. ANALYZE RAGE is way beyond me.

The only abilities I keep up are Bear and Dragon/Eagle. If I'm getting hit I'll use Monkey and Piranha. I try to keep up at all times Bear, Dragon/Eagle, and Wildfire, and seem to be able to do this more or less consistently, but cannot seem to add anything to the mix. I group my weapons rotations by melee and ranged, so I'm not frequently swapping between Dragon/Eagle, and I roar fairly infrequently.

Again, to be clear, my issue isn't that some barb abilities are berserks, but that a fair chunk of the buffs I'd like to be using are blocked to me because of steep IF costs. Compared to my Paladin, who at 50th circle, can do this -

Letting your senses extend further, you feel there is pulsating (10/21) mana to the southwest, and dusky (6/21) mana to the southeast.
You sense the Heroic Strength spell upon you, which will last for about three roisaen.
You sense the Courage spell upon you, which will last for about ten roisaen.
You sense the Sentinel's Resolve spell upon you, which will last for about nine roisaen.
You sense the Divine Guidance spell upon you, which will last for about eight roisaen.
You sense the Clarity spell upon you, which will last for about seven roisaen.
You sense the Marshal Order spell upon you, which will last for about three roisaen.
You sense the Holy Warrior spell upon you, which will last until you fail to provide 5 mana for it.
You sense the Divine Armor spell upon you, which will last for about nine roisaen.
You sense the Righteous Wrath spell upon you, which will last for about fourteen roisaen.
You have not exhausted your ability to smite your foes at all.

And this is before casting RuE on my weapon. Hilariously, this represents as much offensive buffing (+str, +stam, +OF, +weaponstats) and more defensive buffing.

Ideally, by 80th, I should be more than able to use >1 berserk (maybe not two experts, but I should be able to keep up at least one), >3 forms. Meditations are fine, I feel.

Analyze flame is a nice way of keeping IF up, but it's difficult to gauge exactly when I'd need to use it. So, sure, I throw it in the rotation periodically. The other analyzes seem very case specific and I rarely use them, though sure, DAMAGE can be a good way of speeding things up briefly.
Re: Berserk Frustration 05/01/2015 08:51 AM CDT

I was actually mistaken. Thought I could do rage. Can't. I don't know what I was seeing earlier.
Re: Berserk Frustration 05/01/2015 09:59 AM CDT

Here's a little more info on the barb I suppose (again, 75th) -

You are currently practicing the Turtle Form and will hold focus of it for 13 roisaen.
You are currently practicing the Dragon Form and will hold focus of it for 39 roisaen.
You are currently practicing the Monkey Form and will hold focus of it for 75 roisaen.
The Wildfire Berserk will rage within you for 5 roisaen.
The Contemplation meditation will persist in your mind for 22 roisaen.
The Tenacity meditation will persist in your mind for 10 roisaen.

I may not understand how IF usage works, but the passive point is currently between 8 and 9 stars. If I put up Bear the passive point is between 2 and 3. I thought the passive point is where if I just sit still and do nothing now, my IF gen/cost will maintain things, but that is obviously incorrect because a few minutes after putting up Bear, Wildfire, Monkey, and Dragon dropped. A few minutes after that, Bear dropped.

I understand our spell fuel is based on combat, but the difficulty, at 75th circle, I face with keeping up even a portion of our buffs is pretty maddening. Being in combat should drive IF such that we can use ADDITIONAL abilities, such as roars, not be required to maintain even a portion of our abilities. In combat, even occasionally doing ANALYZE FLAME I can't keep Bear, Turtle, Dragon, Monkey and Wildfire up, which is a damn shame because I'd like to be using even more than that (Tornado, Tsunami, Piranha, Python, and maybe Earthquake/Flashflood/Landslide.

I find this really frustrating, as all the magic using characters I have are more than capable of keeping up numerous buffs + cyclic at any given time, and, aside from the number of spells kept up, they're more than capable of buffing a respectable range of things. I'd rather not spend my entire time in combat only doing ANALYZE FLAME.
Re: Berserk Frustration 05/01/2015 10:01 AM CDT

EDIT: And sorry, I know this is kind of an old issue that has been brought up before, I'm just swinging back to my barb a bit more now and noticing this more than I was.
Re: Berserk Frustration 05/01/2015 11:46 AM CDT
I think you are just trying to layer on too many forms at one time. The end game is 200th circle. Trying to layer on a fourth form at 75th just isn't going to happen until you are higher (based on my PAFO).

What I wonder is if IF ranks play into how much IF one has and how many abilities can be used at the same time.

Rhadyn da Dwarb - Blood for fire!
Re: Berserk Frustration 05/01/2015 12:05 PM CDT
Right - I'm saying that paradigm is really, really frustrating.
Re: Berserk Frustration 05/01/2015 12:06 PM CDT
At around 80th chicle I use

Form eagle
Form monkey
Form piranha

Berserk flashflood
Berserk tornado

Don't forget to vote for dragonrealms:

http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: Berserk Frustration 05/01/2015 12:09 PM CDT

Am I right in presuming more difficult forms and berserks are more IF taxing?
Re: Berserk Frustration 05/01/2015 04:38 PM CDT

The Frustrating part to me, is when I roll back to my Barb, I feel infinitely weaker. I go back and read some old posts on it, and it seems to say, the way things are came only after begging and severe limitations, as if some GM's wanted it worse for us.
Re: Berserk Frustration 05/01/2015 04:46 PM CDT
Part of the problem is that Kodius has said his design directive was X, and the magic system as a whole did not adhere to X, despite that fact that it was supposed to. When you get systems created and developed by different groups, that happens. In this case, Barbarians got kinda blech in a lot of places.

But hey, Barb magic is still better than thief magic..
Re: Berserk Frustration 05/01/2015 05:04 PM CDT

Yeah, that was what I had read. Barbs had frustrating rules, that the rest of magic didn't.
Re: Berserk Frustration 05/02/2015 08:34 AM CDT
If the game is transitioning to a paradigm wherein buffing represents a choice (i.e., Clerics can either have GhS or Hyh, Bards can have either DALU or PYRE/ABAN, etc) beyond simply cyclics (Warmies can have AEG or MOF, Bards can have WILL or SOUL, etc), then hooray, cool. I wager you'll have a lot of upset MUs.

In the mean time, I feel like I've got Batmans tookit but the means to only use one thing at a time.
Re: Berserk Frustration 05/02/2015 08:45 AM CDT
I just don't like that we have to be killing stuff to get the most out of our abilities... currently. I'd rather combat equating to getting even more out of our abilities. For me, that means utilizing the right hand side of the passive regeneration bar. Many ideas have been brought up over the years on how to do that. I just think Kodius is ever-swamped.

Re: Berserk Frustration 05/02/2015 03:01 PM CDT
After reviewing how the system is pulsing berserks, it may be a bit too high when compared to Forms. Not every Berserk pulses at the same rate which affects this quite a bit.

I added some randomness to the pulsing. Overall you could see a marked reduction in berserk pulsing costs. But it won't always be consistent. Please let me know if it seems any more forgiving...

One other thing I'm noticing too is that to get the max IF reduction you may need 600, 900 or more IF skill. Technically the hardest abilities should require a bit more... but nobody even has THAT many ranks. I may exponentially decay the reduction (from the linear reduction in place now) so you get more benefit sooner from ranks.

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
Re: Berserk Frustration 05/02/2015 03:58 PM CDT
Thanks a ton, Kodius. I'll play with it a lot and let you know how it seems.

Re: Berserk Frustration 05/02/2015 04:04 PM CDT
Yes, Kodius, that is awesome and thank you. My plan is to hit 600 ranks in IF before circle 100. If it plays a factor I'm glad I am forcing myself to personal goals.

Re: Berserk Frustration 05/02/2015 08:48 PM CDT
From what I can tell, the changes you made are awesome. Thanks!

Re: Berserk Frustration 05/03/2015 11:32 AM CDT
At 472 IF rank I am seeing some difference as well. It will take me a bit more time to see the actual affect (charting) but so far it looks better than previously. Thank you!

Re: Berserk Frustration 05/03/2015 11:35 AM CDT

Huuuuuuuuuuuh.... Little bit of testing seems to be a lot smoother. Killing at a steady clip, with Wildfire + Bear, Monkey, and Turtle, I manage to keep IF hovering right around the passive point +/- a star or so, and Wildfire seems to be holding up just fine.

Neat change, whatever it did. I'll have to try with two berserks or an additional form. Thanks!
Re: Berserk Frustration 05/03/2015 07:31 PM CDT
So after testing more and more today I'm liking this minor though significant change. I would like some 150+ barbs to test out more as well because I think this opens up way more abilities at a single time. I stop/start Dragon/Python or Eagle/Pirahna (for the most part) when switching from melee to ranged (+POL). I keep Wildfire up at all times and pop Famine when I get bruised or above. Look at this right after a switch from melee to ranged forms:

Circle: 87
IF ranks: 472

You are currently practicing the Eagle Form and will hold focus of it for 87 roisaen.
You are currently practicing the Bear Form and will hold focus of it for 32 roisaen.
You are currently practicing the Piranha Form and will hold focus of it for 79 roisaen.
The Famine Berserk will rage within you for 4 roisaen.
The Wildfire Berserk will rage within you for 6 roisaen.
The Contemplation meditation will persist in your mind for 1 roisaen.
The Tenacity meditation will persist in your mind for 19 roisaen.
*************-/

then a few minutes after Contemplation drops:

You are currently practicing the Eagle Form and will hold focus of it for 83 roisaen.
You are currently practicing the Bear Form and will hold focus of it for 28 roisaen.
You are currently practicing the Piranha Form and will hold focus of it for 75 roisaen.
The Famine Berserk will rage within you for less than a roisaen.
The Wildfire Berserk will rage within you for 2 roisaen.
The Tenacity meditation will persist in your mind for 15 roisaen.
**************/

I could actually kick off another form or meditation while hunting which will be nice once I need to use Toad to mitigate elemental damage. Previously Wildfire would drain me down and depending on the spawn I could drop forms or mediations due to lack of IF. I think this opens up a lot of changes to how many abilities can be kicked off for higher circle hunters and am curious what they are seeing (if they even know the change has happened).

Re: Berserk Frustration 05/11/2015 09:36 PM CDT
>> I may exponentially decay the reduction (from the linear reduction in place now) so you get more benefit sooner from ranks.

A thousand times this.